Value of: Jacob Trouba (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
“Hey Yzerman, did you want to trade for Troubs? He’s a phenomenal athlete that just doesn’t age! This long term 8M AAV contract will look great even when he’s 35!

Trouba’s contract will be over before he turns 35. That’s part of the reason why I can live with the extra AAV. The extra 1.5 or 2 million is better than buying a guys age 35-38 seasons when it’s anyone’s guess how fast any player will age. Look no further than a Marc Staal or Dan Girardi.

Im also firmly in the camp that some Ranger fans underrate Trouba. I think he’ll be part of a legit shutdown pairing when he finally gets a solid partner. Libor Hajek and Brendan Smith ain’t it.

I also think some Ranger fans had unrealistic expectations. Paying Trouba like Pronger doesn’t make him Pronger. I think he’s a solid #2 or exceptional #3 defenseman.

Reactions: bl02

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You said "36 for him is better than 36 for most." Then you went on to say that when he's 36, he'll be like most 31 year olds are.

You made it seem like fact that he's going to age better than others. It's not fact. I didn't use the word guarantee - you did.

Are you freakin kidding me???

You can spin this all you want.
Water is still wet.

I said Kreider -- not Trouba will age better than most.
I stand by that.

You wanted to take me down for saying that.

There is a premise in sports. It is a rule that holds true. Yes, there are exceptions to the rule, but it is still the friggin rule, which means it is the yardstick by which regular measure routinely applies.

It postulates (suggesting when most if not all other variables are equal) that "the good big man defeats the good little man". That is true.

An obvious parallel to that is the talented athlete who stays in shape will age better than someone who doesn't. This is all the more obviously so if a guy lets himself go. Many of us are still pissed w/Brendan Smith for showing up way out of shape one year, so bad we had to ship him off to the A.

You can charge Kreider w/pacing himself to such a degree it seems he is holding back too much. But it is documented he is an athlete who works very hard to stay in exceptional shape.

So I do not concede the point, and I take umbrage with your further and continued spin job.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Are you freakin kidding me???

You can spin this all you want.
Water is still wet.

I said Kreider -- not Trouba will age better than most.
I stand by that.

You wanted to take me down for saying that.

There is a premise in sports. It is a rule that holds true. Yes, there are exceptions to the rule, but it is still the friggin rule, which means it is the yardstick by which regular measure routinely applies.

It postulates (suggesting when most if not all other variables are equal) that "the good big man defeats the good little man". That is true.

An obvious parallel to that is the talented athlete who stays in shape will age better than someone who doesn't. This is all the more obviously so if a guy lets himself go. Many of us are still pissed w/Brendan Smith for showing up way out of shape one year, so bad we had to ship him off to the A.

You can charge Kreider w/pacing himself to such a degree it seems he is holding back too much. But it is documented he is an athlete who works very hard to stay in exceptional shape.

So I do not concede the point, and I take umbrage with your further and continued spin job.
Nope.

Water is not wet. Water wets.

I never said anything about Trouba - I was talking about Kreider.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Nope.

Water is not wet. Water wets.

I never said anything about Trouba - I was talking about Kreider.

Because life is too short and we all have better things to do, I am declaring victory on grounds of the bold.
Water may be pushed into other states of matter. But in its natural state, as a liquid, it is wet.

The Oxford University Press agrees with me, saying in its third definition of wet:
"3 involving the use of water or liquid".

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
No, they shouldn’t. Trouba actually fills a need on the Rangers.

24 pages in with Rangers fans trying to assess value and possible trade destinations for a player going into just the second year of a seven year contract.

Whatever need you think he fills, it seems he didn’t accomplish it and thus the lengthy thread.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
24 pages in with Rangers fans trying to assess value and possible trade destinations for a player going into just the second year of a seven year contract.

Whatever need you think he fills, it seems he didn’t accomplish it and thus the lengthy thread.

Or moving beyond what some view as to how it seems, we could recognize actual facts. The driving force here for a deal is less due to JT and rather is:

overall short term cap pressure due to temporary covid flat cap, which NY can handle, but which should they if other options emerge;
and also Nils L and later Schneider will force a move,

so IF there was enough on the table now, why should Rangers not explore in case JT might choose to waive?

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

Too bad they do not have a place to discuss this internally, without boring the fans of other teams.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Trouba may not have that Franchise D awareness at all times factor. But he will always be a steady as hell top pairing D with the size to defend top liners, make a hard accurate first pass and the ability to join the rush.

Jets would have loved to have kept him if he wanted to stay. But he didnt. Rangers fans will be happy with having him down the road I'm sure of it.

You dont miss guys like Trouba until you dont have one any more

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
:laugh:

You said stated (as if it were fact) that Kreider is going to age better than most other athletes. That's a completely baseless assertion.

It really isn’t. Kreider is arguably the biggest gym rat in the league. His physical and cardiovascular conditioning are something else.

Bern can be an absolute space brain at times, but this is one thing he’s 100% right about.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Or moving beyond what some view as to how it seems, we could recognize actual facts. The driving force here for a deal is less due to JT and rather is:

overall short term cap pressure due to temporary covid flat cap, which NY can handle, but which should they if other options emerge;

and also Nils L and later Schneider will force a move,

so IF there was enough on the table now, why should Rangers not explore in case JT might choose to waive?

As has been stated numerous times, Trouba has a NTC for four more years. No options will emerge in the short term especially since Trouba forced his way to play for a specific team.

At this point, the only curiosity remaining is how long mods will keep this lurching, zombie thread open.

So there ya go... I threw you a post to strategically respond to an appropriate time to bump this dead thread back up.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
It really isn’t. Kreider is arguably the biggest gym rat in the league. His physical and cardiovascular conditioning are something else.

Bern can be an absolute space brain at times, but this is one thing he’s 100% right about.
Being a gym rat doesn't make you immune to aging or injury . Letang is a monster in the gym as well.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He falls in the good player, bad contract bucket right now. He needs to have a season matching 2 years ago before NYR start getting serious offers
Last season what his best.

Apologies, I thought you were responding to the Kreider talk. Hard to keep up in this thread...

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

You can basically count on 1 hand how many Rangers fans are in favor of moving Trouba.

A select few are keeping this thread alive with disastrous proposals that other fan bases are rejecting.

And it’s all for nothing considering he has a full NMC for the next few seasons.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Being a gym rat doesn't make you immune to aging or injury . Letang is a monster in the gym as well.

Don't make us post the pool jumping video...

Haha, in seriousness though, you have a point. The injuries that eventually knocked me out of my regular soccer game were largely due to the fact that I had been putting in too much time in the gym, and the injuries just stopped healing as quickly/fully as they did before (the last injury--to the back--happened when I was 33).

That said, though, I'm sure the Rangers have better trainers guiding his workouts, and even if he DOES start to pick up injuries around 33-35 or so, that still takes him MOST of the way through his extension (he'll be turn 36 in April of his final season of the extension).

TL/DR--you aren't wrong, but I'm still not particularly worried.

Reactions: Seanaconda

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Trouba may not have that Franchise D awareness at all times factor. But he will always be a steady as hell top pairing D with the size to defend top liners, make a hard accurate first pass and the ability to join the rush.

Jets would have loved to have kept him if he wanted to stay. But he didnt. Rangers fans will be happy with having him down the road I'm sure of it.

You dont miss guys like Trouba until you dont have one any more
for his 8mill aav i dont miss him at all. nor do the jets even if he wanted to stay they wouldnt have offered him that.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
for his 8mill aav i dont miss him at all. nor do the jets even if he wanted to stay they wouldnt have offered him that.
They probably would have if he wanted to stay. He had a phenomenal contract year, and especially with buff gone I’m sure they would have no issue with the deal at the time.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
They probably would have if he wanted to stay. He had a phenomenal contract year, and especially with buff gone I’m sure they would have no issue with the deal at the time.

I don’t think the Jets could justify giving Trouba 8M AAV and then resign Morrissey to $6.25M AAV.

The Jets sign their core to team friendly, reasonable contracts. If someone wants to be a glutton, like Trouba, play elsewhere.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Does Trouba’s contract negatively effect his trade value? Imo it does, especially in this current flat Covid cap era. Canucks paid a 2022 third rounder for Schmidt, who is paid 6 mil/ and not the 8 Trouba is. I think Trouba can play a harder game than Schmidt, but don’t think their trade value is too far off. Rangers don’t need to trade him though, but if they did he might only get a third?

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
You’ve made agitating comments every few days for weeks, but the problem is us? That’s hilarious.
Now you have moved on to how Kreider is going to run over goalies until he is older than dirt. You do have a board for this crap, and I doubt I am the only poster who feels this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad