Value of: Jacob Trouba (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Very true. Loved him in his first and second year. Thought he was fantastic and was really good. Then something happened to him and he's been declining ever since. He's not the same guy.

Rangers fans who complain about him now would have been ecstatic about having him on their team if he was the Trouba of year one or two. That version of him is worth every penny he is getting now. This version of him isn't.

If he was paid what he is actually worth then for sure they'd be down to keep him but the Rangers and their fans will lose their patience with him and want him dumped based on that cap hit.

I am not worried. New role in a new system going across conference, I am expecting a big bounce back from him.

And I still maintain he was better this season than a lot of people are saying. Just didnt come close to performing at an $8 million level. But the stretches he was on, the Rangers played their best hockey.

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think Trouba's going to be great this year and no one will care about his contract.

Will be vastly improved w/better Ranger team overall and much better partner.
Contract will be a factor for another coupla years until covid defeated, revenues return, cap goes up. At that pt the 1.5m he is overpaid won't seem as bad, w/all other contracts catching up a bit.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
More like giving Kreider that ridiculous contract is what will hinder the team from signing their better players.

Exactly.

I’d rather pay Trouba 5.5 or 6 million, but in the long run I’d rather pay the extra AAV on a guy who fills a need without the dreaded late 30 contract years that so often become debilitating.

The Kreider contract has the potential to be a serious anchor. That one will sting. He’ll be well into his 30’s by the time the Rangers are likely to be serious contenders.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Exactly.

I’d rather pay Trouba 5.5 or 6 million, but in the long run I’d rather pay the extra AAV on a guy who fills a need without the dreaded late 30 contract years that so often become debilitating.

The Kreider contract has the potential to be a serious anchor. That one will sting. He’ll be well into his 30’s by the time the Rangers are likely to be serious contenders.

I'll stick up for CK here b'c to date no one else is providing 'beast' factor; but just to clarify, per CF:
"CLAUSE DETAILS: Starting July 1, 2024: Player submits a 15 team no trade list. "

So this is a guy now 29, 7 yrs remaining at 6.3per. Finishes mid 30s, [36].

This is not a regular guy w/regular breakdown; arguably, this is a smart athlete who keeps himself in shape. 36 for him is better than 36 for most. 36 for him might be closer to 31-33 for the hypothetical average player.

Sure, obv, there is the x factor risk of injury which could change that. I would say maintaining peak-ish condition helps reduce that risk --- tho does not eliminate --- for cumulative wear and tear. It also does not overcome a catastrophic event.
So all in all, too much risk for an average guy, but not nec for CK.

Now, post covid, 6.5 AAV is gonna be a more digestible number for any team paying it regardless of who the player is. And the further on into his term, the more so that will be.

So sure, in a hard cap environment which forces allotment of roster choices and talent, you always want the equally productive player for less $.

But I'm not worried about CK.

And, if nec, we do have coupla end years we can move him, whether that is where we get a rental return for him or, going the other way, Kreider begins to turn into Drury and we have to pay someone to take him.

CK is not Staal.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
We have to understand what role Trouba did have last season. He was there to take the heavy lifts on defense. I remember when Rangers was called for a double minor, he was out there for almost 4 min. on the PK. Because Fox and DeAngelo hardly did any PK at all the entire season. He was gassed, and in the next shift made a terrible mistake which led to a goal against. In the coming years, when hopefully Rangers defense is more developed, Trouba will be in a better position to succeed.

Reactions: Kupo

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
This is not a regular guy w/regular breakdown; arguably, this is a smart athlete who keeps himself in shape. 36 for him is better than 36 for most. 36 for him might be closer to 31-33 for the hypothetical average player.

Where the heck are you basing this off of LMAO?!

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'll stick up for CK here b'c to date no one else is providing 'beast' factor; but just to clarify, per CF:
"CLAUSE DETAILS: Starting July 1, 2024: Player submits a 15 team no trade list. "

So this is a guy now 29, 7 yrs remaining at 6.3per. Finishes mid 30s, [36].

Sure, obv, there is the x factor risk of injury which could change that. I would say maintaining peak-ish condition helps reduce that risk --- tho does not eliminate --- for cumulative wear and tear. It also does not overcome a catastrophic event.
So all in all, too much risk for an average guy, but not nec for CK.

Now, post covid, 6.5 AAV is gonna be a more digestible number for any team paying it regardless of who the player is. And the further on into his term, the more so that will be.

So sure, in a hard cap environment which forces allotment of roster choices and talent, you always want the equally productive player for less $.

But I'm not worried about CK.

And, if nec, we do have coupla end years we can move him, whether that is where we get a rental return for him or, going the other way, Kreider begins to turn into Drury and we have to pay someone to take him.

CK is not Staal.

Oh Bern... :laugh:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Where the heck are you basing this off of LMAO?!

You are at liberty to laugh your ass off as you wish.
That does not make you "always right" as your avatar indicates.

As to where I am basing this, besides fact early on in his career he went thru Chara like a hot knife thru butter, and had to adjust his play to not get hit excessive penalties, here:
chris kreider jumps out of a pool - Bing video

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
CS, an unprovoked :laugh: without substantiation is an invite to a condescending retort like, yeah, laugh clown, laugh.

However, on this Thanksgiving, let us instead pass up that invite, at least for today.

Happy Turkey Day everybody.
You just came out with an absurd assertion, based on nothing. It's funny, and par for the course for you.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
He falls in the good player, bad contract bucket right now. He needs to have a season matching 2 years ago before NYR start getting serious offers

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
You are at liberty to laugh your ass off as you wish.
That does not make you "always right" as your avatar indicates.

As to where I am basing this, besides fact early on in his career he went thru Chara like a hot knife thru butter, and had to adjust his play to not get hit excessive penalties, here:
chris kreider jumps out of a pool - Bing video

Sorry, you think Trouba won’t feel the effects of aging as much as a regular NHL athlete because Chris Krieder can jump out of a pool in one leap?

I see you have your opinions well supported LMAO.

“Hey Yzerman, did you want to trade for Troubs? He’s a phenomenal athlete that just doesn’t age! This long term 8M AAV contract will look great even when he’s 35!

BTW, did you see Chris Krieder jump out of a pool in one leap?”

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
A #2-#3 D who didn't meet the enormous expectations put on him. In Winnipeg Josh Morrisey was the perfect partner for him, Rangers don't really have a guy like that to pair with him.

Reactions: heretik27

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Sorry, you think Trouba won’t feel the effects of aging as much as a regular NHL athlete because Chris Krieder can jump out of a pool in one leap?

I see you have your opinions well supported LMAO.

“Hey Yzerman, did you want to trade for Troubs? He’s a phenomenal athlete that just doesn’t age! This long term 8M AAV contract will look great even when he’s 35!

BTW, did you see Chris Krieder jump out of a pool in one leap?”

The bold is your assertion, not mine.
Per CF. he is 26, 6yrs remaining = 32.
Kreider will extend to mid 30s, not JT.

You are so hell bent on knocking me down, you completely ignore facts.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
It was not absurd.
The eye test proves it.
For shame, CS for shame.
Thought you were better than that.
:laugh:

You said stated (as if it were fact) that Kreider is going to age better than most other athletes. That's a completely baseless assertion.

Reactions: Ciao

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

In all fairness, Trouba is 26. He’ll be 32 years old when his contract expires.

Edit: Missed Berns post pointing this out.

Kreider is certainly a fitness freak — but my fatass can almost jump out of a pool so that doesn’t mean much lol.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
:laugh:

You said stated (as if it were fact) that Kreider is going to age better than most other athletes. That's a completely baseless assertion.

I in fact did not guarantee that as if I personally had control over such things, which is what you are suggesting.

I effectively said barring injury he is likely to age better than a less well conditioned counterpart.

THAT is NOT baseless.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I in fact did not guarantee that as if I personally had control over such things, which is what you are suggesting.

I effectively said barring injury he is likely to age better than a less well conditioned counterpart.

THAT is NOT baseless.
You said "36 for him is better than 36 for most." Then you went on to say that when he's 36, he'll be like most 31 year olds are.

You made it seem like fact that he's going to age better than others. It's not fact. I didn't use the word guarantee - you did.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
When is Kreider going to unleash his "beast factor"? The hockey world has waited years to see it.

In his defense, he unleashes It about 12 games a year. In the past, he’s raised his level of play in the playoffs. It’s yet to be seen, but that has the potential to be a brutal contract. I think the organization caved to fan pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad