Prospect Info: Jacob De La Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Really good skater, good size and willingness to use it, untapped offensive potential. IMO, he projects to be somewhere in the middle six. He looks like a player who will create scoring chances, and wear on a teams' defense. He may not finish much at the NHL level, but there's a chance for him to be a 2nd tier contributor.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
unless a trade for a superstar comes along, dlr will not be traded. he'll be an important piece for our future.

PricePkPatch*

unless a trade for a superstar comes along, dlr will not be traded. he'll be an important piece for our future.

Important piece where? 3RW?

Look. I get that DLR is a solid prospect. But dont start putting him in McCarron-like standing. We have Gallager as a long term RW, and Scherbak/McCarron as RW prospects. We don't neeeld DLR BADLY, and he isnt worth a.superstar.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011

Look. I get that DLR is a solid prospect. But dont start putting him in McCarron-like standing. We have Gallager as a long term RW, and Scherbak/McCarron as RW prospects. We don't neeeld DLR BADLY, and he isnt worth a.superstar.

read my last message...unless....

PricePkPatch*

read my last message...unless....

Already did. And i replied to it, in case you havent notice. Your statement is ludicrous, bordering ridiculous.

Like i said, pray tell where DLR is important for our future, when we have extremely solid prospects at RW already?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

I never asked for Beaulieu.

Yeah I know. We just chucked him in there kinda the way Gainey chucked McDo in to the Gomer trade. :)

But Montreal is a very good poster and knows the Habs and Habs system very well. He just wants a cup right now. Fair enough. A lot of us older guys feel the same, but I would not do Beaulieu or DLR for Jagr, or any rental, ever.

You need to keep building while contending.

Last edited:

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Already did. And i replied to it, in case you havent notice. Your statement is ludicrous, bordering ridiculous.

Like i said, pray tell where DLR is important for our future, when we have extremely solid prospects at RW already?

DLR isn't a RW. Pacioretty wasn't that big of a scorer. I'm not saying DLR is like Pacioretty. He's a 3rd line shutdown center and an important player for our future. unless he's traded in a package for a superstar, i wouldn't trade him.

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006

Hmmm... isn't De La Rose a centre and left winger?

PricePkPatch*

Hmmm... isn't De La Rose a centre and left winger?

Sure thing. Then DLR is important to replace Galchenyuk, Eller or Plekanec in the future?

DLR is a good prospect. Dont think im saying he is disposablr like Collberg was. But he isnt a must-have prospect like future centerpiece are.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
The Habs went on a crazy run as our top line caught fire, so who's to say if we would have made the playoffs if not for getting Vanek. Either way it shows that management was willing to try to help the team win now.

Not sure what you mean by a 4th liner scoring more then a 2nd liner. As for trading Beaulieu, I've never been a big fan, don't see a lot of upside. No way he will be anything close to McDonagh imo, would be shocked to see that. As for no need for Jagr, you don't think we need to score more goals? You don't think he could help us do that, the guy that score more points then any Hab had last season can't help us score more goals?

I know it's HF where picks and prospects rule but when you have a team that can win a cup, you have to give up some assets.

Montreal I understand your argument and I admire your stand. I think what you are forgetting is that contending should not be a one shot deal. Habs should be looking to contend for a 5-7 year window, and if lucky, win 2 cups.

Therefore: You need to build while contending. And that means not giving up key prospects, but rather redundant ones, older players, and non first round picks when really required. And due to their size, positions, and skill sets, I consider Beaulieu and DLR key prospects, not easily replaceable if lost.

Collberg on the other hand was a great example of a redundant prospect that still had value. I would consider Ghetto, Reway or Lehkonen in the same class, and trade-able for that reason. On D, Pateryn and Dietz might be candidates also.

Finally, there is also very limited evidence of the miracle UFA rental cure. UFA rental route is mostly crap from what I have seen.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Sure thing. Then DLR is important to replace Galchenyuk, Eller or Plekanec in the future?

DLR is a good prospect. Dont think im saying he is disposablr like Collberg was. But he isnt a must-have prospect like future centerpiece are.

Actually DLR has a very good chance of replacing Eller, who will replace Plekanec, in 4-5 years, or in as little as 2 years, if DLR develops quickly and Habs trade Pleks. You don't seem to think of time moving on much...

I think he is a key piece, and Habs have no one else like him. He is also a pretty safe pick and still very young. That is why I was surprised he was brought up in this discussion as a trade-able asset.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He has 1 Goal 17 Passes in his last 33 PO games. And his last game was 2 years ago. Youre willing to bargain away one of the most promissing asset for a player that...

1. Is too old to carry the pace in the PO.
2. Is not outproducing the core of this team.
3. Is getting slow and -10 rating.
4. Will retire or move in this summer.
5. Even worst could end up staying another year.

so he didn't score in the po's with boston, who can fault him for that, maybe he hates boston as much as I do. He's been ripping it up on a bad nj team.

1. doesn't need to carry the pace, just use his big frame and great skill set to help the offense and PP
2. he put up more points last year then any Hab had, he's on one of the worst teams in the NHL and still leads them in assists and points.
3. we are a fast team so his lack of speed shouldn't hurt us, I don't care about his plus minus as i'm willing to bet he won't be a minus player on a line with Pleks
4. you don't know that so stop trying to act like you know his plans
5. depending on the cost, the guy puts up points, 92 pts in his last 122 games is very good, we would be lucky to have another player that could put up those kind of numbers.

Wow am I happy you're not the GM. KINGS and Hawks became dynasties by not throwing their future in favor of the present and that exactly how Bergevin will proceed. Having depth players like JDLR and McCarron on the 3rd line is how you seperate the good from the great teams.

and in what world is Gelinas a better defensmen than Beaulieu??? Beaulieu would be a 25 min 1st pp wave defensmen if he was playing in with a mediocre D squad like New Jersey.

at some point you have to give up some assets in order to improve, they did it with Collberg last year and I fully expect them to do it again this year but even bigger. McCarron is a no trade for me along with Scherbak, the rest I would easily move for the right price. picks and prospects can only do so much, this team can win now.

Gelinas has 11 goals in his career, Beaulieu none. Gelinas scored at a .5 ppg last year. He's got a big frame and a big shot. Beaulieu brings little outside of his great skating, he's not very smart and his production so far hasn't been very impressive.

We do not trade de la Rose. Absolutely not.

I don't see why they couldn't trade him, yes he's a solid prospect but not a great prospect as his upside if he doesn't improve his offense will be limited.

Yeah I know. We just chucked him in there kinda the way Gainey chucked McDo in to the Gomer trade. :)

But Montreal is a very good poster and knows the Habs and Habs system very well. He just wants a cup right now. Fair enough. A lot of us older guys feel the same, but I would not do Beaulieu or DLR for Jagr, or any rental, ever.

You need to keep building while contending.

I don't know how any Hab fan doesn't badly want a cup, the '93 cup run was one of the greatest things I have ever witnessed, it's time we take a real run at a cup. Beaulieu I've never been a fan of, never been impressed with his play so if he's traded then fine by me as I like Nygren more.

Montreal I understand your argument and I admire your stand. I think what you are forgetting is that contending should not be a one shot deal. Habs should be looking to contend for a 5-7 year window, and if lucky, win 2 cups.

Therefore: You need to build while contending. And that means not giving up key prospects, but rather redundant ones, older players, and non first round picks when really required. And due to their size, positions, and skill sets, I consider Beaulieu and DLR key prospects, not easily replaceable if lost.

Collberg on the other hand was a great example of a redundant prospect that still had value. I would consider Ghetto, Reway or Lehkonen in the same class, and trade-able for that reason. On D, Pateryn and Dietz might be candidates also.

Finally, there is also very limited evidence of the miracle UFA rental cure. UFA rental route is mostly crap from what I have seen.

With Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Pac alone I don't see why we would be one and done. Giving up someone like Beaulieu when we have Subban doesn't seem like a big deal to me as I don't think he will ever be anything special (whereas I saw McDonagh play in high school and a ton in the NCAA and did not want him traded)

DLR would be tough to trade as I like him a lot but if it's going to help us win now then I would do it as I don't think his upside is all that great if he can't score.

Actually DLR has a very good chance of replacing Eller, who will replace Plekanec, in 4-5 years, or in as little as 2 years, if DLR develops quickly and Habs trade Pleks. You don't seem to think of time moving on much...

I think he is a key piece, and Habs have no one else like him. He is also a pretty safe pick and still very young. That is why I was surprised he was brought up in this discussion as a trade-able asset.

Do you think next year DLR will come close to the numbers Eller had in his first year in NA? I like DLR a lot but think about how much heat Eller gets around here by some, will DLR ever be able to out produce him?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

What you posted feels a lot like the mindset of "don't draft Price cause we have Theodore".

Talent is talent is talent. There's no way to know what will happen with Scherbak/McCarron.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Not a fan of Swedish prospects as far as their offensive game goes. Don't think trading DLR is a must, but I think he's a piece you can dangle if you can put your hands on a valuable piece.

If he's the piece required to put your hands on a solid top-4 d-man, you do it.

I also can't see him becoming as good as Eller offensively.

PricePkPatch*

What you posted feels a lot like the mindset of "don't draft Price cause we have Theodore".

Talent is talent is talent. There's no way to know what will happen with Scherbak/McCarron.

That is a fair point to make. However, it's not like we are considering a Thoroughbred goaltender drafted in 5st overall pick. That was an early 2nd round, how about we breathe a bit about DLR. He isn't the 2nd coming of Jagr.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not a fan of Swedish prospects as far as their offensive game goes. Don't think trading DLR is a must, but I think he's a piece you can dangle if you can put your hands on a valuable piece.

I liked Collberg more then most around here but it's looking like others were right as he appears to be struggling in North America. I like DLR but I also wonder if he can even match Eller in terms of offense, as Eller as a 20 year was really good in the AHL after a big year in the SHL as a 19 year old.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I liked Collberg more then most around here but it's looking like others were right as he appears to be struggling in North America. I like DLR but I also wonder if he can even match Eller in terms of offense, as Eller as a 20 year was really good in the AHL after a big year in the SHL as a 19 year old.

That's exactly what comes to my mind; Eller was very good offensively in the A. I also don't see DLR having the same raw attributes, such as Eller's shot/hands. I think these are two areas where Eller has a clear advantage

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Eller is a natural center and in his draft year went 13th but had been rated as high as 6th OV in 2007. Being a high 1st round pick of St.Louis, whose expeactations & development program differs from the Habs. He received first line assignments in the AHL with a better team and was a year older, huge experience at that age. JDLR has had two yrs. in the SHL and Captained their last two entries at the WJHC's, winning Silver against Finland's Gold medal team, losing in OT when Ristolainen scored.(Sweden's team lost Lindholm & Wennberg from that team & are still playing for Bronze{So much for Bronze} despite losing those two high picks from 2013, when JDLR was the 34th pick) Far to early to project the future of JDLR, IMHO. His value lies in his upside, besides being a very good leader with an impeccable work ethic & passion for the game, his PWF potential may see him evolve into a good top six C/LW. I defer to Dudley, Mellanby & Timmins talent evauating skills when it comes to picking a possible highend PWF in the NHL. As always PWF's take 3-4 yrs. to reach those lofty heights, Pacioretty being a prime example coming out of US high schools as a playmaking LW. While his offensive top end has been questioned, there can be no question about his hockey IQ/ intensity level or skating abilities.

With JDLR's talents and competitive spirit, count my vote as one for keeping him, unless the return gives the Habs a Stanley Cup. Similar to Dallas's trading Iginla for Joe Niuewendyck which gave them their only SC Championship, I'm not saying JDLR is the equal of Iginla, I'm saying Jagr isn't the equivalent of Niuewendyck to Montreal's chances of winning the SC, IMHO. :nod:

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Eller is a natural center and in his draft year went 13th but had been rated as high as 6th OV in 2007. Being a high 1st round pick of St.Louis, whose expeactations & development program differs from the Habs. He received first line assignments in the AHL with a better team and was a year older, huge experience at that age. JDLR has had two yrs. in the SHL and Captained their last two entries at the WJHC's, winning Silver against Finland's Gold medal team, losing in OT when Ristolainen scored

DLR only played 1 season in the SHL, his team was in the Allsvenskan the previous year.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012

I beg to differ...I believe JDR will be a much better than Eller. Eller tends to blow a wheel...as a center he can't make offensive plays...Eller has limited upside.
JDR will be a better two way player.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I beg to differ...I believe JDR will be a much better than Eller. Eller tends to blow a wheel...as a center he can't make offensive plays...Eller has limited upside.
JDR will be a better two way player.

if DLR becomes better than Eller that will be unreal. I don't think he will though but who knows.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I dont like what I've saw form DLR. I was pretty convince that the guy was not top 6 stuff and the WJC confirm it. He would be a great asset on the third line but be honest, guy like him will not have the fans with him when the top will be made of Americans and Russians stuff (except for Gallagher). Like its always the case, the situation would hit his chance. I dont see a great future in the club so yes, he could be the kind og player that im ready to get rid to add a great player, but not a location

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I dont like what I've saw form DLR. I was pretty convince that the guy was not top 6 stuff and the WJC confirm it. He would be a great asset on the third line but be honest, guy like him will not have the fans with him when the top will be made of Americans and Russians stuff (except for Gallagher). Like its always the case, the situation would hit his chance. I dont see a great future in the club so yes, he could be the kind og player that im ready to get rid to add a great player, but not a location

Your valuation is extremely premature, I think. If you really believe you can anticipate a player's ceiling by his play in a Junior tournament, well, I just don't know what to tell you.

DLR also has very little experience on NA ice. It may take him almost a full season to feel comfortable on a much more confined rink.

I'm not at all sure where you're going with the nationality thing, but I can assure you that we love Sweets in Montreal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad