GDT: Jackets @ Yotes | 10 PM EST

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Well, looks like another loss. Which probably secures us in the 4th spot in the lottery.

Shame, there’s only like 2-3 more winnable games the rest of the way. We may not surpass last years point total lol (we probably will but still)

Reactions: Cowumbus

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
At the game. Man, isn't this the nicest arena and people. They deserve a team. Seems like a nice city too, at least the Tempe area.

It's been an entertaining game methinks.

Are you following the team in this road trip? You were at the Vegas game too, correct?

As for this game, that passion they had a few games ago seems all but gone...... they really look uninspired.
Just playing out the season.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Not one player, that we’ve seen from the broadcast, has checked on Elvis

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Is it worth ruining my sleep schedule with a game like this? :huh:For me the matches start between 00 - 3.00 a.m. Over the weekend they are moving the time so they will start an hour later. Let the season come to an end.
EDIT: I love Malatesta, Voronkov and Olivier. James is great. :thumbu:

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
If the new GM keeps Vincent on, then the new GM should become the old GM.
Feels like the room is lost even if half the team is AHL players at this point. I honestly wouldn't be shocked and a new GM, unless they flip the board (which i can't see happening and I can't see ownership even approving) then that gives cover for a coaching change without scaring off potential candidates.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
This feels far more hopeless than it did last year.

At least last year we had the injuries excuse, as well as Larsen, and had an incredibly stacked draft to look forward to. We also at that time had two firsts

Now we have injuries, sure, but we sucked far before those hit so it doesn’t really resonate the same way. We still have a coaching issue, and the top of this draft is nowhere near as strong as last years unless you win the lottery somehow. We also have bloated contracts and none of the kids on the farm seem close to making an impact right away except maybe Jiricek.

yay

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

At least last year we had the injuries excuse, as well as Larsen, and had an incredibly stacked draft to look forward to. We also at that time had two firsts

Now we have injuries, sure, but we sucked far before those hit so it doesn’t really resonate the same way. We still have a coaching issue, and the top of this draft is nowhere near as strong as last years unless you win the lottery somehow. We also have bloated contracts and none of the kids on the farm seem close to making an impact right away except maybe Jiricek.

yay
Fantilli year 2. Jiricek, Mateychuk, Brindley, Greaves? (as long a they earn it).

Hopefully a healthy KJ, Laine, and Chinakhov. Even Danforth. Voronkov year 2, a rejuvenated Sillinger.

Plenty of competition next year which is a good thing. Find “your guys” and go from there.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Fantilli year 2. Jiricek, Mateychuk, Brindley, Greaves? (as long a they earn it).

Hopefully a healthy KJ, Laine, and Chinakhov. Even Danforth. Voronkov year 2, a rejuvenated Sillinger.

Plenty of competition next year which is a good thing. Find “your guys” and go from there.
Everything this year has been related to systems and structure. We have very good 5v5 offensive numbers, defense needs work but we have Mateychuk and Jiricek coming up so there will be growing pains but there is extreme potential there. Severson has been badly misused this year, expect improvement in a new system. Elvis is probably gone to help ease the cap burden.

People are so caught up in their doomerism. Its not homerism but I see a path which is why I don't think a new GM is going to come in and flip the board (plus ownership wont allow it, after 2025 outdoor game there is no gimmick insight for SHT retention unless the team starts to show promise or actually improve next season). To me there are only 2 true "bad" contracts on this team. A few maybe a bit overpaid but they are not "long term" but that's a premium you have to play veterans to come to a team that probably isn't going to compete for a playoff slot.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

yay

Last year we didn't have any semblance of forecheck or work ethic at any point.

Up until just a couple weeks ago we had a dozen games where we were playing in the right end of the rink.

Last year at this time it was a similar case to right now - a largely AHL roster and a team that has given up - but at least this year we know our NHL roster doesn't play this bad.

Elvis is probably gone to help ease the cap burden.

?

Elvis is probably gone so we can ease the Elvis burden. And we'll keep part of the cap.

Reactions: LJ7 and squashmaple

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Last year we didn't have any semblance of forecheck or work ethic at any point.

Up until just a couple weeks ago we had a dozen games where we were playing in the right end of the rink.

Last year at this time it was a similar case to right now - a largely AHL roster and a team that has given up - but at least this year we know our NHL roster doesn't play this bad.

?

Elvis is probably gone so we can ease the Elvis burden. And we'll keep part of the cap.
I could had worded that better but even at 50% that saves some money while cutting some potential issues in the room. I am just saying this team isn't as hopeless as people make it out to be.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I could had worded that better but even at 50% that saves some money while cutting some potential issues in the room. I am just saying this team isn't as hopeless as people make it out to be.

For sure.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Everything this year has been related to systems and structure. We have very good 5v5 offensive numbers, defense needs work but we have Mateychuk and Jiricek coming up so there will be growing pains but there is extreme potential there. Severson has been badly misused this year, expect improvement in a new system. Elvis is probably gone to help ease the cap burden.

People are so caught up in their doomerism. Its not homerism but I see a path which is why I don't think a new GM is going to come in and flip the board (plus ownership wont allow it, after 2025 outdoor game there is no gimmick insight for SHT retention unless the team starts to show promise or actually improve next season). To me there are only 2 true "bad" contracts on this team. A few maybe a bit overpaid but they are not "long term" but that's a premium you have to play veterans to come to a team that probably isn't going to compete for a playoff slot.
And it makes me wonder how you're going to trade Elvis with such an awful contract.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
And it makes me wonder how you're going to trade Elvis with such an awful contract.
A 2.7x3yr contract looks pretty tempting especially if you can sell that he looked great under an established defense. Someone out there will take a gamble at that price point, especially if they can get a mid-tier prospect in return as part of a package deal. Everyone, including myself, thought that Peeke was heading to a buyout but even JD got someone to bite that contract at full cost and a decent return. Even if the goalie market is flooded in the summer someone could go "I can fix him" especially when there are teams like Florida in this league that specialize in buying low on distressed assets and fixing them to reach their potential.

Here's the "competition" during the summer with very rough projections for full disclosure:
1711518031740.png

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
A 2.7x3yr contract looks pretty tempting especially if you can sell that he looked great under an established defense. Someone out there will take a gamble at that price point, especially if they can get a mid-tier prospect in return as part of a package deal. Everyone, including myself, thought that Peeke was heading to a buyout but even JD got someone to bite that contract at full cost and a decent return. Even if the goalie market is flooded in the summer someone could go "I can fix him" especially when there are teams like Florida in this league that specialize in buying low on distressed assets and fixing them to reach their potential.
I'll add that at 50% retention, the risk for the other team is almost nil.

Say that they decide that they've seen enough after one year. The buyout cost is 5.4m * (2/3) which is 3.6 million spread out over 4 years=900k per year. It's a very small financial risk to take if a team believes that they can turn him around or that a better defense will fix his numbers.

EDIT In actual cash layout, the buyout after 1 more year would be 3.25 million which is $800k/yr over 4 years-even less than the AAV value.

Reactions: Indy18

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2