GDT: Jackets @ Yotes | 10 PM EST

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I went to bed during the second intermission so I missed the carnage. Looks like I made the right choice.

Just curious, what did Malatesta do in the third that people on three different sites were praising him? It wasn’t scoring.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
People already know this but Elvis is a horrible positionally sound goaltender. Look at those goals he gave up, every single one he's off his angle/over committed.

He will always have hot nights where variance is in his favor but consistency will forever elude this guy.

I doubt there's a team in the league interested. Either way he needs to go, absolute basket case mentally and terrible positionally.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I went to bed during the second intermission so I missed the carnage. Looks like I made the right choice.

Just curious, what did Malatesta do in the third that people on three different sites were praising him? It wasn’t scoring.
He had 8 hits total and got in a fight

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
We have very good 5v5 offensive numbers, defense needs work but we have Mateychuk and Jiricek coming up so there will be growing pains but there is extreme potential there.
I agree with what you are saying, but having two more defensemen coming up doesn't help the lack of defensive ability of our forwards. They will get overburdened also, trying to cover for the bad defense up front. Becoming better defensive forwards will help the defensemen to stay within their responsibility more often.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I agree with what you are saying, but having two more defensemen coming up doesn't help the lack of defensive ability of our forwards. They will get overburdened also, trying to cover for the bad defense up front. Becoming better defensive forwards will help the defensemen to stay within their responsibility more often.
What we've needed literally since the moment we bought him out was Wennberg. Funny how that worked out.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I’ll just point out that the Devils have 2 rookie defensemen and they knew they were going to take a hit defensively this season because of it but they stuck it out and let them learn at the NHL level. Talking about Jiricek and Mateychuk as saviors of the defense at this point is really grasping. Especially when the development of Jiricek has been extremely disjointed so far. They are going to need time.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
People already know this but Elvis is a horrible positionally sound goaltender. Look at those goals he gave up, every single one he's off his angle/over committed.

He will always have hot nights where variance is in his favor but consistency will forever elude this guy.

I doubt there's a team in the league interested. Either way he needs to go, absolute basket case mentally and terrible positionally.

Just my opinion but I've seen Elvis go ten games in a row with great positioning many times. He knows how to do it. He has the athleticism and the positioning ability.

I think his megalomania is at root of a lot of his issues, if he gives up a goal or two he forgets his basics.

He had 8 hits total and got in a fight

They went down so fast that I didn't notice that it was a real fight. Carcone landed a few okay punches and it looked like Malatesta got Carcone hard with one.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
@CBJWerenski8 This is an admittedly cherrypicked sample, but from the shutout of the Blues before the all star break to the win over the Oilers on March 7th, the Jackets played 14 games, scored 56% of the goals, and 52% of the xG. We legit looked good before the injuries / late season swoon hit. It's a much improved situation from last year.

We had a month or so before the injuries took over where I thought the team defense was much improved. Chinakhov looks great on the backcheck, Marchenko really improving his defensive game, Voronkov was also playing well and had sterling defensive stats, so it is a shame that Vincent didn't trust them and play them more. It looks so much more promising than last year.

To a large degree I give Vincent credit for making this team more structured after last year's disaster. But I don't think he's the right coach, he's not using players well and I don't think he's the best for development.

What we've needed literally since the moment we bought him out was Wennberg. Funny how that worked out.

Well he's hitting UFA now.

I always wanted Wennberg to be put in prime shutdown roles. And in the last year he definitely has been used that way. Classic low event center.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Yup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad