Post-Game Talk: Jackets 3, Oilers 1

space321

May 11, 2011
Did anyone notice eberles stick being held for 15 seconds on our powerplay, can't do much when the other team is allowed to cheat so blatantly, or the dangerous interference flying knee at the blue line that the refs missed. Or McDavid getting called for having his stick held and the bogus call on Benning. Reffing is a joke in this league. The Oilers held there own in the first half and the refs gave the game away. Pouliot's play was bad but Foligno made a really nice play there to steal that pass too.

yah refs were ******* tier tonight aboslutely atrocious

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
I know it sounds silly, especially after this game, but I actually do want Pouliot on McDavid's wing. Yes, Pou doesn't deserve jack **** for his horse crap play this season. But McDavid needs skaters on his wings and both Pouliot and Pulj are probably the best skaters that can keep up with 97. I enjoyed it when Pou McDavid and Yak were together last season because their transitional attack was lethal. This season, he has slugs on his wings and the odd man rushes are non existent. When McDavid has Eberle/Lucic/Maroon as wingers, McDavid is attacking 1 on 5 and his linemates are still at their own blue line catching their breath. Again, it's rough saying all that with Pouliot playing like hot garbage. lol.

I totally agree with you, I think Pouliot's game fits McDavid more than most of the other oilers forwards. He's a good skater, doesn't mind playing chippy hockey, willing to go to the net and has a decent finish. The problem with TM is with certain players (especially pulju) you make one mistake and you get banished from your line and stapled to the bench, while with others (eberle, Lucic, letestu, Hendricks) countless mistakes are consistently forgiven as if they can do no wrong. I'm in no way excusing Pouliot's lackluster play this year, I just think he's a good fit for McDavid.

The puzzling thing about TM's lines is that 2nd line has been good together, yet TM keeps changing them. Common sense would suggest to keep the line that's playing well together and mess around with the others until you find something that works.

At the very least, try Pulju on the pp for a whole game. The kid's got the best shot on the team. I can only imagine the pressure Pulju faces as an 18 yr old. Every oportunity that he gets, he faces it knowing that a single mistake will get him pretty much benched. Wouldn't knowing that mess around with your natural game? I would assume it would be difficult to succeed knowing your main goal is to not make a mistake. Rather have him in the AHL scoring goals and concentrating on making plays without an axe waiting to chop his head off if he messes up.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Even though I think Pulju should be sent down, if he's being kept up with the big team, he needs to get some PP time. Caggiula hasn't shown a ton more, but he's getting consistant icetime there, which makes no since to me.

Another thing I'm really disliking is the unwillingness to put more than 1 RH shot out at any time on the PP. You just end up limiting the # of plays that the team can do when the team only has 1 RH shot set up out there.

Eberle-Draisaitl-McDavid
Letestu-Sekera

Moive Eberle down low, he's more effective there. He's not a guy that can succeed playing at the top of the faceoff circle, on the 1st or 2nd unit. Have him and Draisaitl as the low slot presence to compensate for the lack of pure net guy.

Kassian-RNH-Maroon
Puljujarvi-Klefbom

Nice size and skating, 2 big shots and 2 guys that can cycle down low to open up the high shots.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Glad i went to bed after the 2nd period. CBJ's play is impressive, no stars but a really hard working group. Good for them.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Over the last several games mcdavid looks half checked out. Possibly the pressure of dealing with this lacklustre group and incompetent linemates will do that.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Over the last several games mcdavid looks half checked out. Possibly the pressure of dealing with this lacklustre group and incompetent linemates will do that.

He's been checked out for at least 10 games. He's had the same breaks as the rest of the team so, unless they want him 'checked out' the rest of the season, he needs a change.

The pressure needs to come off for awhile and see if it makes any difference.
Put him on the 3rd line, give him a couple of young, fast players, reduce his ice time and see what happens....

Maroon-RNH-Eberle
Lucic-Drai-Caggiula
Slepyshev-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lander-Letestu-Kassian

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013

He's been checked out for at least 10 games. He's had the same breaks as the rest of the team so, unless they want him 'checked out' the rest of the season, he needs a change.

The pressure needs to come off for awhile and see if it makes any difference.
Put him on the 3rd line, give him a couple of young, fast players, reduce his ice time and see what happens....

Maroon-RNH-Eberle
Lucic-Drai-Caggiula
Slepyshev-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lander-Letestu-Kassian

McDavid had a jump in his step when Maroon and Drai were put as his wingers in the middle of a game. Can't remember what game it was but a lot of poster were commenting about it.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
What I have noticed with McDavid since he has slowed done is that he is not stopping up and feeding the pass back to the blueline like he was when he was tearing up the league . This was leading to a lot of shots on net and juicy rebounds in the slot where guys could get open. He should look at tapes from earlier in the year and what was working.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
McDavid had a jump in his step when Maroon and Drai were put as his wingers in the middle of a game. Can't remember what game it was but a lot of poster were commenting about it.

That was the Sharks game. Hell, pretty much any Maroon-McDavid-Drai game though, they were the most dangerous line but you know, TMac "has" to spot Eberle the top line RW.

Of course, with how McDavid has been lately, maybe it isnt our top line:laugh:

:sarcasm:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Such a horrid play by Puljaravi yesterday. Bob was looking pretty rough to start and then a horrible penalty really got CBJ playing their game. They were not a team to take a dumb penalty against.

Man without Talbot what is the score last night? Made some pretty good saves for us. Jamesion didn't say what the record was but apparently we are damn near unbeatable when he puts up 30 saves. Really giving us chances to get back into games

Odd stat of the game for me was Jack Johnson being a +21. I did mention last year that he'd be an interesting buy low player as his off-ice life was complete ****. Hopefully things continue to get better for the guy.

LockDown21

May 24, 2015
Giant SMH at the posters questioning McDavid.... wanna fix him? Get that bum 14 FAR AWAY from his line. He is a complete black hole and deserves to be healthy scratched. They keep forcing Ebs on his line and its just plain old not working. The stats are showing it! Hell even the eye test is proving it, when Todd changes the lines mid game and gets Ebs off the line Connor is magical(for the most part). Its borderline disgusting at this point, the platinum platter they hold Eberle on, and the **** results its getting- some ACCOUNTABILITY PLEASE.

What happened to Pou? He was mostly effective for the last two seasons now he looks like the guy who no team ever wanted to commit to?

All that being said the sky is not falling, that CBJ team is on some kind of roll right now, so 2 points dropped on the road isn't something we need to go into red alert mode for.

For me what IS getting close to red alter terroitory is having a 6M "offensive winger" who is plain old bringing down one of the most gifted players to enter the league in the last 10 years - SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE. I have 0 tolerance for that I don't care if Ebs scored 100 goals in a season before, ITS NOT WORKING STOP BRINGING CONNOR DOWN. /rant

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Giant SMH at the posters questioning McDavid.... wanna fix him? Get that bum 14 FAR AWAY from his line. He is a complete black hole and deserves to be healthy scratched. They keep forcing Ebs on his line and its just plain old not working. The stats are showing it! Hell even the eye test is proving it, when Todd changes the lines mid game and gets Ebs off the line Connor is magical(for the most part). Its borderline disgusting at this point, the platinum platter they hold Eberle on, and the **** results its getting- some ACCOUNTABILITY PLEASE.

What happened to Pou? He was mostly effective for the last two seasons now he looks like the guy who no team ever wanted to commit to?

All that being said the sky is not falling, that CBJ team is on some kind of roll right now, so 2 points dropped on the road isn't something we need to go into red alert mode for.

For me what IS getting close to red alter terroitory is having a 6M "offensive winger" who is plain old bringing down one of the most gifted players to enter the league in the last 10 years - SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE. I have 0 tolerance for that I don't care if Ebs scored 100 goals in a season before, ITS NOT WORKING STOP BRINGING CONNOR DOWN. /rant

Honestly at this point I think they might be trying to increase 14s trade value by having him up with Connor. I don't think it's working very well.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
When will this team start getting up for at least half the games they play?

Its like they don't want to play hockey and its a chore.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007

:nod:my complete sentiments

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
There's just too many players on this team that each take a turn making an ass out of themselves each game that are incapable of returning the favour to the team in another game. Or better yet repaying the favour more than they mess up.

Pouliot, Eberle, Puljujarvi, Hendricks, Gryba.

Columbus doesn't have those type of players. Need ones that give more than they receive is the bottom line in the NHL.

The guy that gives you 2 goals in a year but only fluffs 1 goal is more valuable than the 50 goal scorer that watched 75 go back in his own net.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
There's just too many players on this team that each take a turn making an ass out of themselves each game that are incapable of returning the favour to the team in another game. Or better yet repaying the favour more than they mess up.

Pouliot, Eberle, Puljujarvi, Hendricks, Gryba.

Columbus doesn't have those type of players. Need ones that give more than they receive is the bottom line in the NHL.

The guy that gives you 2 goals in a year but only fluffs 1 goal is more valuable than the 50 goal scorer that watched 75 go back in his own net.

This player doesn't exist. :)

Agree, though. Ebs and Pouliot especially. Pulju I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to. Hendricks is done, which is too bad because he used to be effective. Gryba, I like the physicality he brings. Decent in sheltered minutes.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014

What I'm scared of is the fact that McDavid is checked out. He's a pure winner at every level he's played at. He has an amazing compete level. I watched him on the replay of the pouliot giveaway and McDavid didn't even react. He just skated back to the bench emotionless. That stuff is scary.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Something pretty cool that you can see on Corsica:

http://www.corsica.hockey/combos/

Adjust the TOI minimum to 190 or 210 minutes, and you can see the most commonly used lines in the NHL, and Lucic-McDavid-Ebs will be on that list.

Then sort by GF60, it's the 5th last column, so see how productive McLellan's dream line is compared to lines around the league.

It's so sad. Freakin Marner-Bozak-JVR score at more than double the rate of McLellan's dream line. That line has been on the ice for 24 goals 5v5 for Toronto this season in 359 minutes. Our dream line has been on for a whole 6 in 210 minutes. And hilariously, our dream line has a high PDO, because they've been very lucky to not have been scored on 7 or so more times thanks to a 0.980 sav% by our goalies when they're out there.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Playing JP with Lander and Letestu on the 4th is just mindboggling.

People care to much about him. We need the guys who are suppose to be scoring to score. Not worry about a rookie.

With that being said his time in the NHL should be coming to an end shortly.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Playing JP with Lander and Letestu on the 4th is just mindboggling.

JP should be in the AHL period. His on ice awareness and decision making is still too slow. Also, theres zero physicality in his game at all so I dunno what's the point of him playing bottom 6 then.

He's doesn't really assert himself the same way Laine does. Way too apprehensive to be a factor on the ice at this stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad