Player Discussion: Jack Roslovic as the #2 Centre?

Will Roz end up as the #2C by the end of the season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think the Jets are having lots of patience with him (as he has shown very little to be super excited about at the NHL level)...problem is Rosie will run out a patience and force his way out before the Jets do.....That clock is ticking loudly IMHO

Based off of what exactly?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
But realistically can he even play C at NHL level anymore, or better, yet?
He hasn't played C position for almost a year now.
Except that he was playing C this season on one of our most effective lines until Appleton got healthy scratched for seemingly no reason.

I really feel bad for Roslo. He's got a wicked shot and can score but he's been unlucky and even then, his strength is as a playmaker. He finally got the chance to showcase that last season, and he showed it well setting up Laine left and right with golden opportunities but suddenly Laine couldn't put the puck in the net to save his life, so people look at the stat line and say that he's useless. Now he's playing with Copp and Lowry, who I love, but won't be able to set up Roslo consistently or put themselves in positions to be set up by Roslo consistently, and again the stat line goes dark.

To people criticizing his finish, just a quick reminder that he's a 2 goal game away from being tied for the team lead. He's 2 points behind Wheeler and Connor playing a fraction of the minutes and with much worse teammates, and he's still getting chances left and right. Also I've mentioned it before, but it's always strange to me that players get criticized for creating chances and not capitalizing more than players that don't create chances at all.

It's starting to feel like he's going to have to produce at a point per game from the fourth line before the narrative on him starts to change, and that's really unfair to the kid.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just threw that in to illustrate a point. Not sure how they go about it but it needs addressing. I don't think they should part with any more assets frankly.

I think they need to draft the 2C this year - or develop Rosie. That means relying on the prospects we have to fix the D. May not be an attractive proposition because it is slow but I think other decisions made over the last 3 years have given us little real choice.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think they need to draft the 2C this year - or develop Rosie. That means relying on the prospects we have to fix the D. May not be an attractive proposition because it is slow but I think other decisions made over the last 3 years have given us little real choice.

I’m not an advocate for drafting for need, but we really need a long term solution and that will have to likely come from within. I’m praying we have a shot at a center in the draft because we still don’t know how Roslovic is going to develop long term.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Except that he was playing C this season on one of our most effective lines until Appleton got healthy scratched for seemingly no reason.

I really feel bad for Roslo. He's got a wicked shot and can score but he's been unlucky and even then, his strength is as a playmaker. He finally got the chance to showcase that last season, and he showed it well setting up Laine left and right with golden opportunities but suddenly Laine couldn't put the puck in the net to save his life, so people look at the stat line and say that he's useless. Now he's playing with Copp and Lowry, who I love, but won't be able to set up Roslo consistently or put themselves in positions to be set up by Roslo consistently, and again the stat line goes dark.

To people criticizing his finish, just a quick reminder that he's a 2 goal game away from being tied for the team lead. He's 2 points behind Wheeler and Connor playing a fraction of the minutes and with much worse teammates, and he's still getting chances left and right. Also I've mentioned it before, but it's always strange to me that players get criticized for creating chances and not capitalizing more than players that don't create chances at all.

It's starting to feel like he's going to have to produce at a point per game from the fourth line before the narrative on him starts to change, and that's really unfair to the kid.

Ros is rounding into shape by the looks of this year. He needs a look at 2C.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
One of the few beers I have with this org is on How we go about developing skilled centers. With guys like Roslovic, Petan and to some extent Harkins the org moves them back and fourth from wing to c all the time.

I would say that if you believe the player has a chance to be a good skilled C you develop them as a C and then fall back to wing later on if it doesn't work out. Roslovic and Pets should have been played as full stop as C's in the AHL. Instead they were moved around a lot.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't think anyone can give an accurate opinion on how Roslo will turn out as a # 2 center, until we actually see him play 8-10 games as one, and I wish the Jet's would give him a shot at it, and we'll see.

I also think Wheeler is a very good # 2 center, and we've won a majority of our games with him slotted in at center ice. That includes the time Scheif was injured awhile back.

I'd like to see Jack be given a shot at # 2 Center --and I believe most fans would agree.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't think anyone can give an accurate opinion on how Roslo will turn out as a # 2 center, until we actually see him play 8-10 games as one, and I wish the Jet's would give him a shot at it, and we'll see.

I also think Wheeler is a very good # 2 center, and we've won a majority of our games with him slotted in at center ice. That includes the time Scheif was injured awhile back.

I'd like to see Jack be given a shot at # 2 Center --and I believe most fans would agree.

Hopefully in some situations, they will start to switch Roslovic and and Wheeler a few times.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
One of the few beers I have with this org is on How we go about developing skilled centers. With guys like Roslovic, Petan and to some extent Harkins the org moves them back and fourth from wing to c all the time.

I would say that if you believe the player has a chance to be a good skilled C you develop them as a C and then fall back to wing later on if it doesn't work out. Roslovic and Pets should have been played as full stop as C's in the AHL. Instead they were moved around a lot.

I honestly believe its not the organization but pomo who is calling the shots regarding who plays when and who gets called up. Its the coach who make the lineups. There is no reason Niku shouldn't be up here instead Bitteto.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Hopefully in some situations, they will start to switch Roslovic and and Wheeler a few times.

I agree with you , and I think a lot of fans would really like to see this as well. Roslo has the speed and the shot, to play center --we just have to see what kind of playmaker he could be. Give him a shot.

At least if he's not good--we'll know, and they can return him to the wing like he's playing now.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Given the opportunity, I think PMo or Chevy likes having a ‘bigger’ or ‘thicker’ center, to battle down low.

Guys like Scheifele, Hayes, Lowry, Gustafsson, Stastny, Copp and now Wheeler. And prefer smaller players like Roslovic, Perreault and Petan play wing.

I don’t think it’s a development plan to start by playing wing, just PMo’s size preference. And now Roslovic is likely a winger moving forward with Maurice, where another coach might develop him as a C.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I honestly believe its not the organization but pomo who is calling the shots regarding who plays when and who gets called up. Its the coach who make the lineups. There is no reason Niku shouldn't be up here instead Bitteto.

While I don't doubt that Moe is responsible for a lot of the switching at the NHL level due to his preference of size and d first/safe C's I was more focussing on pre NHL development predominantly at the AHL level.

Maurice shouldn't be calling the shots at that level it should be management. If you draft someone as a C then the development plan should be to play them as one full time in the AHL. If they aren't ready when they get to the NHL then move them to wing. The issue is that a lot of our C prospects have flipped back and fourth between C and W at the AHL level as well. Imo that doesn't allow for proper development (If you want them to be a C) and likely confuses the player a bit.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
There are lots of reasons why bitetto is here and niku isn't. That's why Chevy has him in the minors still.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There are lots of reasons why bitetto is here and niku isn't. That's why Chevy has him in the minors still.

Lots of them?

1. Because Maurice likes Bitetto better.
2. Chevy gives Maurice the players he wants from the system.
3. That is all.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
When the puck drops and Wheeler is our #2 center, I am very comfortable.

Yes, Rosi needs to get a better look at 2c, if nothing else, just so it gives him some games to be assessed on.

It just may be that Wheeler is the answer at 2c for the next 3-4 years. To this point, I have seen nothing to say he's not our best candidate.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
When the puck drops and Wheeler is our #2 center, I am very comfortable.

Yes, Rosi needs to get a better look at 2c, if nothing else, just so it gives him some games to be assessed on.

It just may be that Wheeler is the answer at 2c for the next 3-4 years. To this point, I have seen nothing to say he's not our best candidate.

Well with zero data from Rosie at the position it is a little hard to conclude that he is not a better candidate.

Is Wheeler a better candidate than Copp? By the time you allow for the loss of effectiveness from the Lowry line, yes.

If Wheeler is our 2C for the next 3-4 years we are in trouble.

Reactions: FireChevy

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Well with zero data from Rosie at the position it is a little hard to conclude that he is not a better candidate.

Is Wheeler a better candidate than Copp? By the time you allow for the loss of effectiveness from the Lowry line, yes.

If Wheeler is our 2C for the next 3-4 years we are in trouble.
Remember when there was zero data that petan couldnt play centre and that he was head and shoulders better then Lowry for the 3c role. How did that work out. They watch him practice every day and wont even try him at centre on the 4th line let alone the 3c and we are supposed to put him in at 2c with no experience at centre. Thats not happening. Wheeler played centre on the 1st line against top lines and top d pairings for over 20 games and managed over 90 points that year but you feel uncomfortable with him a 2c for any length of time. They are so done with roslovic at centre it seems he didnt play 1 shift with him at centre in the exhibition. Gus played centre 1 game between wheeler and ehlers. That should tell you all you need to know if roslovic is going to be a centre on this team

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Remember when there was zero data that petan couldnt play centre and that he was head and shoulders better then Lowry for the 3c role. How did that work out. They watch him practice every day and wont even try him at centre on the 4th line let alone the 3c and we are supposed to put him in at 2c with no experience at centre. Thats not happening. Wheeler played centre on the 1st line against top lines and top d pairings for over 20 games and managed over 90 points that year but you feel uncomfortable with him a 2c for any length of time. They are sp done with roslovic at centre it seems they didnt play 1 shift with him at centre in the exhibition. Gus played centre 1 game between wheeler and ehlers. That should tell you all you need to know if roslovic is going to be a centre on this team

There you go again. Appealing to authority. Maurice doesn't like player. Player is bad.

Did I say Rosie was going to be a 2C on this team? Not that I can recall. Should be, yes. But that is a different story. Is Roslovic going to be a 2C on this team? That may depend on how long Maurice lasts.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
There you go again. Appealing to authority. Maurice doesn't like player. Player is bad.

Did I say Rosie was going to be a 2C on this team? Not that I can recall. Should be, yes. But that is a different story. Is Roslovic going to be a 2C on this team? That may depend on how long Maurice lasts.
How long the jack Adams finalists lasts you mean. With what Chevy gave him this year absolutely final 3 with a playoff spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad