Proposal: Jack or Singh?

millax

Dec 24, 2005
Jack is terrible at using his words to illustrate to a listener...The puck is fired up the right wing boards.. what is happening on the ice. He far too often is rambling about..dumped into the corner by Kane.. random things that have nothing to do with what is going on the ice. He needs to stay focused on the play and let the colour guy... out front and HE SCOOOOOOOOOORES.. add the colour to the commentary.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Singh drives me absolutely nuts. His “sing-song” soccer-style call when a goal is scored is grating when it’s an Oiler and it feels like he’s openly mocking us when it’s an opponent that scores. His actual PBP is tolerable, but I can’t say it adds anything.

Jack gets so overly excited sometimes that he feels phoney and his tangents are legendary, but he’s the better option of the two.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
It is funny how over time everyone typically grows to hate a commentator.

Post Drew Remenda people loved Louie.......then the odd comment here and there and eventually the resume of annoying comments builds up and you end up hating that commentator.

To be fair, some I just dislike from the first puck drop and Singh is one of them.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Uh...you've obviously never heard Leah Hextall call a game.

Singh sounds like prime Rod Phillips by comparison.

To be fair to Singh, he's improved a TON over the last year. When he started he was abysmal. Now he's "ok".

My issue with Singh was always that, just like Hextall, he got thrust into the national games without near enough experience. Neither of their hiring's were merit based, because neither of them had done enough PBP to realistically even be considered for a national job. I don't give Singh any credit for his experience calling games in Punjabi. Calling them in English is obviously radically different.

All this being said, if Singh can continue to improve at the rate he has over the last two seasons, he could end up very very good.

Jack is still my guy though.
I would take Hextall over singh every day of the week, and twice on sundays

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Jack is terrible at using his words to illustrate to a listener...The puck is fired up the right wing boards.. what is happening on the ice. He far too often is rambling about..dumped into the corner by Kane.. random things that have nothing to do with what is going on the ice. He needs to stay focused on the play and let the colour guy... out front and HE SCOOOOOOOOOORES.. add the colour to the commentary.
Perfect impression of the torturous experience listening to Jack Michaels calling a game entails. On top of the attention deficit he routinely displays, also get the sense he's sitting there with a thesaurus and awed by big fancy words he doesn't know how to properly incorporate into his pbp commentary. Even the mundane is scintillating now apparently.

And the screaming. The screaming is just too much. I can hear the saliva spraying out of his esophagus.

• Haha
Reactions: JordanGalhanth

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Bonino bonino bonino boninoooooo
Thanks for correcting me! I edited my post. Those bloody Italian guys are all the same anyhow!

I would take Hextall over singh every day of the week, and twice on sundays
Hextall is the worst announcer I have ever heard. Bar none. And there's been a lot of good candidates to fill that position.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012

I've posted this before, but can you imagine Jack calling this goal?

"Buck 11 to go in the final stanza, Oilers pressing for the equalizer, DOWN the stretch we go! You know this reminds me Louie of the time when Notre Dame needed a Hail Mary to upset number three seed Michigan in the 1987 Daisy Bowl Classic... Oilers wanting the same end result here tonight, now SAMSONOV back-door, tapped IN! *realizes he should be excited* ALESSSSSS HEMSKY FOR THE WIN!!!! AND THE OILERS...ARE 66 SECONDS AWAY FROM DISPATCHING THE ALMIGHTY JUGGERNAUT REDWINGS TO THE THRESHOLD OF ELIMINATION!!!!!!!!!!"

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023

I've posted this before, but can you imagine Jack calling this goal?

"Buck 11 to go in the final stanza, Oilers pressing for the equalizer, DOWN the stretch we go! You know this reminds me Louie of the time when Notre Dame needed a Hail Mary to upset number three seed Michigan in the 1987 Daisy Bowl Classic... Oilers wanting the same end result here tonight, now SAMSONOV back-door, tapped IN! *realizes he should be excited* ALESSSSSS HEMSKY FOR THE WIN!!!! AND THE OILERS...ARE 66 SECONDS AWAY FROM DISPATCHING THE ALMIGHTY JUGGERNAUT REDWINGS TO THE THRESHOLD OF ELIMINATION!!!!!!!!!!"

The often not saying someone scored when they scored was annoying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad