Proposal: Jack or Singh?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
As I read your post ,you’ve allowed me to reflect and helped me answer the question of why I too dislike LdB as a color guy.

He wont take a stand.

Make a call for or against and own it. Don’t dance around it. Wont call a spade a spade, wont say it’s a shitty call, wont take a stand until TO situation room makes a decision. LdB is a poor colour guy because he has to wait for the wind to blow before he takes a direction. Ineffective as a result.
Absolutely nailed it about Louie. It's like he thinks the NHL or some higher ups are going to come after him and his family if he calls someone or something out. Perhaps politics is in his future?

Reactions: brentashton

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Literally no ONE can listen to Singh tonight and think he is a viable PBP option. He's f***ing horrible. Random inflectionS at randoM timeS. RaiseS his voiCE when the opposition gainS thE zoNE!

f*** me he's horrible. I don't give a shit what his story is or that he was an Oilers fan. I can't handle another playoff run with this muppet calling the games.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Literally no ONE can listen to Singh tonight and think he is a viable PBP option. He's f***ing horrible. Random inflectionS at randoM timeS. RaiseS his voiCE when the opposition gainS thE zoNE!

f*** me he's horrible. I don't give a shit what his story is or that he was an Oilers fan. I can't handle another playoff run with this muppet calling the games.

This game should be definitive in that regard. f*** he’s awful.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Yup. This was a marquee game, played with speed and tons of excitement. But he made it seem like a preseason game. Just awful.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Jack Michaels is actually really technically good. His voice is strong, he speaks well and clearly, he gets the facts / calls right, he's very knowledgeable about everything, he does his homework. His downfall, though, is the carnival-barker style of "fake excitement", his bizarre tendency to analyze the score and the likelihood of various outcomes, and most of all his cringe-inducing 80s movie / music references.

Singh calls the live-action game fairly well, but as we all know his goal-calls and his "real excitement" is also cringe-inducing, as his voice cracks and he hits weirdly high notes. But besides that, his downfall is the lazy, overly-relaxed style that he calls games in.

It's as if Jack is on cocaine and Singh is on methadone.

At this point, though, I feel like Louie is just phoning it in. I'm sure he enjoys what he does, but as far as his commentating goes, it's basically the following on repeat:
-- "has a shooter mentality"
-- "puts his head down and goes to work"
-- "(insert team) are taking a close look at this goal on the bench..."
-- "Little extra after the whistle"...
-- (Reports on some hallway chat he had with a given player earlier that day): I asked (so-and-so) about (something), and he said, "Listen! Sometimes, you have to ...."
--
After one of Jack's jokey-quips: "There ya go."
After anything Singh says: "Right, Singer."

Basically, Sportsnet could save his salary by firing him and just playing loops of his pet-phrases on repeat. No one would know the difference.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Jack Michaels is actually really technically good. His voice is strong, he speaks well and clearly, he gets the facts / calls right, he's very knowledgeable about everything, he does his homework. His downfall, though, is the carnival-barker style of "fake excitement", his bizarre tendency to analyze the score and the likelihood of various outcomes, and most of all his cringe-inducing 80s movie / music references.

Singh calls the live-action game fairly well, but as we all know his goal-calls and his "real excitement" is also cringe-inducing, as his voice cracks and he hits weirdly high notes. But besides that, his downfall is the lazy, overly-relaxed style that he calls games in.

It's as if Jack is on cocaine and Singh is on methadone.

At this point, though, I feel like Louie is just phoning it in. I'm sure he enjoys what he does, but as far as his commentating goes, it's basically the following on repeat:
-- "has a shooter mentality"
-- "puts his head down and goes to work"
-- "(insert team) are taking a close look at this goal on the bench..."
-- "Little extra after the whistle"...
-- (Reports on some hallway chat he had with a given player earlier that day): I asked (so-and-so) about (something), and he said, "Listen! Sometimes, you have to ...."
--
After one of Jack's jokey-quips: "There ya go."
After anything Singh says: "Right, Singer."

Basically, Sportsnet could save his salary by firing him and just playing loops of his pet-phrases on repeat. No one would know the difference.
So true on Louie. You forgot "chip and charge, chip and charge." lol Another poster nailed it too, when he said Louie refuses to stick his neck out even a little bit on anything that might be controversial, and constantly "challenges" Oilers goals, seemingly looking for something to be reviewed. Gets very irritating. I thought he might have some promise at one point, but now, I just think it's time for him to move on.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So true on Louie. You forgot "chip and charge, chip and charge." lol Another poster nailed it too, when he said Louie refuses to stick his neck out even a little bit on anything that might be controversial, and constantly "challenges" Oilers goals, seemingly looking for something to be reviewed. Gets very irritating. I thought he might have some promise at one point, but now, I just think it's time for him to move on.

I think the problem with Louie is it's the same colour commentary every game, it's very predictable. And for national broadcasts he tries too hard not to be in the Oiler camp given he is the Oiler color guy on regional broadcasts. Personally I would like to have a guy that gets pissed off at bad calls but it's not the Canadian way to call out the refs. You'd ruffle Referee Ron MacLean's feathers.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I don't think anyone at cbc cares what the fans want. I personally think both Jack and singh suck.

Jack is a very blue collar type WWE Jim Ross type where McKinnon is coming over the top rope! And singh makes too many God awful errors.

Cbc would take the more polished singh over a guy like Jack better suited for calling echl line brawls.

Nothing is going to change cbc couldn't care less. They still air 2 million gambling ads despite everyone hating them.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I think the problem with Louie is it's the same colour commentary every game, it's very predictable. And for national broadcasts he tries too hard not to be in the Oiler camp given he is the Oiler color guy on regional broadcasts. Personally I would like to have a guy that gets pissed off at bad calls but it's not the Canadian way to call out the refs. You'd ruffle Referee Ron MacLean's feathers.
I wonder if Woke Ron has a lot more pull with broadcasting assignments (and perhaps jobs) than we could ever think or imagined he even had. You wouldn’t think so but one never knows.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't think anyone at cbc cares what the fans want. I personally think both Jack and singh suck.

Jack is a very blue collar type WWE Jim Ross type where McKinnon is coming over the top rope! And singh makes too many God awful errors.

Cbc would take the more polished singh over a guy like Jack better suited for calling echl line brawls.

Nothing is going to change cbc couldn't care less. They still air 2 million gambling ads despite everyone hating them.

CBC hasnt produced a game in almost 10 years. It's been SN for a very long time (which thankfully is coming to an end soon). CBC merely gives SN airtime for free in exchange for hocking their shitty made in Canada TV shows nobody watches to please the CRTC Canadian Content rules.

But SN doesn't care what their viewers think because they have a literal monopoly. They have no reason to listen to fans because they dont care and they know we wont turn the TV off thus generating the gambling ad revenue we all love too.

Anyway this was pretty much a joke thread I started with respect to voting in the pole online, I thought it might get 15 comments and slide into obscurity.

The viewing landscape is about to undergo a seismic shift however as SN contract is coming due and if I am reading the tea leaves correctly SN will no longer have a monopoly as Canadian broadcasts will be shared between SN and TSN with the teams choosing who they want for regional broadcasting. But there could be a 3rd streaming broadcaster coming online who doesn't have a TV network presence, like we see in soccer.

Either way fans should have more choice of who they want to watch killing the SN monopoly on national games and streaming.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
CBC hasnt produced a game in almost 10 years. It's been SN for a very long time (which thankfully is coming to an end soon). CBC merely gives SN airtime for free in exchange for hocking their shitty made in Canada TV shows nobody watches to please the CRTC Canadian Content rules.

But SN doesn't care what their viewers think because they have a literal monopoly. They have no reason to listen to fans because they dont care and they know we wont turn the TV off thus generating the gambling ad revenue we all love too.

Anyway this was pretty much a joke thread I started with respect to voting in the pole online, I thought it might get 15 comments and slide into obscurity.

The viewing landscape is about to undergo a seismic shift however as SN contract is coming due and if I am reading the tea leaves correctly SN will no longer have a monopoly as Canadian broadcasts will be shared between SN and TSN with the teams choosing who they want for regional broadcasting. But there could be a 3rd streaming broadcaster coming online who doesn't have a TV network presence, like we see in soccer.

Either way fans should have more choice of who they want to watch killing the SN monopoly on national games and streaming.
I thought I read somewhere Amazon Prime was poised to make a big move with NHL broadcasts, but I could be wrong. Hell, even Netflix swooped in and got WWE broadcast rights so more streaming platforms are going to start taking contracts from traditional networks. I’d be pretty worried if I was with SN right now.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Was watching a stream while playing cards with the boys. We found one that didn’t have any commentating (just rink sounds). It was heaven, until the stream crashed and we had to find another.

Singh was instantly infuriating. Looked away for a second, heard Singh blast off about an Avs chance (it wasn’t a good one) and nearly had a heart attack. Just the absolute f***ing worst. Everyone had the same complaints (even one friend who is a Dallas fan), the guy is always overly excited for the other team and nearly falls asleep for any Oilers chance. How is this acceptable?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
One guy last night sure was singing about the OT winner by the AV's. On a Canadian national broadcast. I mean you don't have to be thrilled the Oilers lost. If so at least disguise it. He should've called the Nucks game..

Was watching a stream while playing cards with the boys. We found one that didn’t have any commentating (just rink sounds). It was heaven, until the stream crashed and we had to find another.

Singh was instantly infuriating. Looked away for a second, heard Singh blast off about an Avs chance (it wasn’t a good one) and nearly had a heart attack. Just the absolute f***ing worst. Everyone had the same complaints (even one friend who is a Dallas fan), the guy is always overly excited for the other team and nearly falls asleep for any Oilers chance. How is this acceptable?
I would pay money for this.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
One guy last night sure was singing about the OT winner by the AV's. On a Canadian national broadcast. I mean you don't have to be thrilled the Oilers lost. If so at least disguise it. He should've called the Nucks game..

I would pay money for this.

Me too. We had that conversation as well

Reactions: Drivesaitl and TB12

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

The CBC doesn't do hockey anymore, but they certainly should start caring about their content and everything else they produce. They just had their viewership cut in half and laid off a few thousand employees.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The CBC doesn't do hockey anymore, but they certainly should start caring about their content and everything else they produce. They just had their viewership cut in half and laid off a few thousand employees.
Why. Their 3 billion is still being sent yearly. What the f*** do they care? I don’t believe PP has the balls to cut the subsidy once he understands how many jobs it creates in vote rich Ontario.

Its never been a revenue driven entity such as a private broadcaster has to be.

It’s just a massive sinkhole for Canadian taxes.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Why. Their 3 billion is still being sent yearly. What the f*** do they care? I don’t believe PP has the balls to cut the subsidy once he understands how many jobs it creates in vote rich Ontario.

Its never been a revenue driven entity such as a private broadcaster has to be.

It’s just a massive sinkhole for Canadian taxes.
When you lay off thousands of employees, then yes, some alarm bells should be going off. Obviously, the 3 billion (or whatever it is) is not being spent on employees). More likely to cover off all of the bonuses paid out to the elites of the corporation. And if jobs keep getting cut, then I guess you won't have to worry about that many voters in Ontario that work for them anymore.

Reactions: brentashton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad