Jack Michaels: Brutal commentator

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's hard to excuse some of the crap they pulled while we were really bad. I remember turning in while driving one night and Bob and Jack got side tracked talking about 80's NCAA football trivia for what felt like 10 minutes. Granted it was in the Eakins era and the team was horrendous so it was tough to constantly talk about how they were getting killed but 30 year old trivia about a different sport and not even a top level one was just bad.

I had a conversation with my friend who is a Flames fan and he distinctly recalls a time when Peter Loubardias (radio color guy) talked about banana bread for a few minutes, while the game was going on. I don't think the Oilers are alone in this regard.

There are very few PbP guys who I consider well worth listening to, either on the radio or on TV. It's the nature of the game.

EakinsMVP

Apr 23, 2015
I actually haven't minded Jack this year. I'd rather listen to him for a full game than Brian Hall for 2 minutes

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I actually haven't minded Jack this year. I'd rather listen to him for a full game than Brian Hall for 2 minutes

I have a friend who is a senior guy at 1260. He thinks that, if Michaels goes to the US this summer, there are not a lot of premium names available to replace him. He thinks they will run with Hall and Stauffer for at least one year

Oiler fans are not 100% sold on Hall anymore but lots of major advertisers like him a lot.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I have a friend who is a senior guy at 1260. He thinks that, if Michaels goes to the US this summer, there are not a lot of premium names available to replace him. He thinks they will run with Hall and Stauffer for at least one year

They should have got Randy Hahn when he applied the first time.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005

Oiler fans are not 100% sold on Hall anymore but lots of major advertisers like him a lot.

Bryan Hall is something like 12 years older than Rod Phillips. Just bring Rod back if that's the case!

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007

Did your friend the senior guy at 1260 tell you this on Saturday (April 1st) by any chance? That's the only way to explain why the Oilers would want to bring aboard an 82 year-old who was mercifully relieved of his duties as the Eskimos' pbp announcer after the 2009 season.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Phillips is in a class by himself but that doesnt make JM incompetent. And there were no darker days in play than the crap we had to suffer through for a decade straight. In any case I dont think JM is incompetent or as brutal as he is made out to be, so we can agree to disagree and to each his own.

That's the thing. Some people expected another Rod Phillips. There can be only one, no one can replace him. I'm just disappointed in what we got. Hopefully he takes that Kings job, and good luck to him. Then, at least I may have a chance to enjoy our radio broadcasts again. And, not sure what your vintage is, but believe me, there were some pretty dark days after 1992, with no one left from the glory days, and the team constantly being rumoured to be leaving.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That is a misconception.

How so? When the Oilers were bad, there wasn't anything off the table in terms of complaints. Just last year people were calling for the heads of the coach and GM that they just installed.

I distinctly remember people loathing Mark Lee when he was doing Oiler games on CBC and now he's treated like he's Chris Cuthbert.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That's the thing. Some people expected another Rod Phillips. There can be only one, no one can replace him. I'm just disappointed in what we got. Hopefully he takes that Kings job, and good luck to him. Then, at least I may have a chance to enjoy our radio broadcasts again. And, not sure what your vintage is, but believe me, there were some pretty dark days after 1992, with no one left from the glory days, and the team constantly being rumoured to be leaving.

Been listening / watching / going / diehard fan since 1977 I remember the dark days from then. Nothing compares to the brutal on ice product we've had the past decade though, jmo

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
How so? When the Oilers were bad, there wasn't anything off the table in terms of complaints. Just last year people were calling for the heads of the coach and GM that they just installed.

I distinctly remember people loathing Mark Lee when he was doing Oiler games on CBC and now he's treated like he's Chris Cuthbert.

I don't think this is true.

He's still loathed.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I remember a couple of times when I was at an Eskie game and was listening to the radio broadcast, too. Hall went to commercial and he missed a play or two, then rather than recapping the plays missed he did the play by play as if they were happening right then.

Hallsey is a genius. :laugh:

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I'll agree that Jack has improved lately. But IMO there's still enough quirks like "moving left to right", "deflected/stuffed/banged home", and the WWE-style commentary after big goals where it sounds like he's trying to win "Call of the Year" that I wouldn't be disappointed if he goes to L.A.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I don't mind Jack. I wouldn't mind him moving on though. Just so they can take another swing in hopes of landing another Rod Phillips by fluke.

Do the the play by play and color commentator for the radio broadcasts always work for the NHL teams or is this just the case for Edmonton. Why do they work for the team and no the broadcaster/rights holder?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Judging a play by play guy's performance based on the quality of the team he is describing, is, in a word, silly. It's like comparing the work ethic of someone stuck in a 3rd world country compared to one living in New York.

As mentioned, Rod Phillips was the same announcer during the crappy 90's as he was during the wonderful 80's.

And I don't recall anything like that in regards to Mark Lee.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Been listening / watching / going / diehard fan since 1977 I remember the dark days from then. Nothing compares to the brutal on ice product we've had the past decade though, jmo

So, Rod's quality of play calling should have plummeted in the 90's with the team. But it didn't. He may have not had the chance to say a lot of wonderful things about the team, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I remember a couple of times when I was at an Eskie game and was listening to the radio broadcast, too. Hall went to commercial and he missed a play or two, then rather than recapping the plays missed he did the play by play as if they were happening right then.

Hallsey is a genius. :laugh:

Hallsy in his prime was excellent. Late in his career though, they really got him hawking all kinds of stuff and he was turning into nothing more than an on air salesman.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So, Rod's quality of play calling should have plummeted in the 90's with the team. But it didn't. He may have not had the chance to say a lot of wonderful things about the team, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Your missing my point. Such is social media.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
As a pro at free streaming :laugh: I can tell you there is a lot worse commentators floating around then Jack Michaels

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Jack Michaels is better on TV than radio. He called an Oiler game a year or two ago on Sportsnet that was better than any time I've heard him on the radio. I only saw the third period of the Coyotes/Kings game a couple nights ago but he was really into it, especially the final minutes with LA's playoff hopes on the line.

Give him the Sportsnet gig and get Quinn out of the booth.

Here's his call of the final minute of the clincher vs LA last week: http://www.630ched.com/audio-vault/

Audio Date: March 28
Audio Time: 9:00 PM

Skip to 33:45

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad