Jack Michaels: Brutal commentator

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think he's very good.

I don't understand the hate so many people have for commentators and announcers. Greg Millan and John Garret come to mind. Why the hate? why care so much about a guy calling a game.

Jack Michaels is fine. And I like his banter.

Hockey calling has always basically been: "Johnson, to Taylor, to Smith, over to Jones, back to Johnson, again to Smith"...... on an on. What's wrong with a little conversation... you know, like every other sport.

'plainers gonna 'plain.

Sorry to pick on your Uncle Jack.:laugh:

Not sure if you've been paying attention. Garrett is not beloved because of his pathetic bias for everything Canucks.

Conversation is not a bad thing - at the right times. The radio announcers job is to paint a picture so we can envision what is going on. You don't need to call every pass, but you certainly can't be leaving out whole chunks of the game, and important parts as well. The college descriptions can happen during a stoppage in play, although that has traditionally been the time for the colour guy (Stauffer) to give an assessment on what just happened and fill in more blanks for the listener to get even a clearer picture.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I've gained a soft spot for Jack. Granted, his OILERS RADIO NETWORK or talking about something random as the game's still playing is annoying, but he does show a lot of passion when it comes to the Oilers. He's better than Remenda.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I've gained a soft spot for Jack. Granted, his OILERS RADIO NETWORK or talking about something random as the game's still playing is annoying, but he does show a lot of passion when it comes to the Oilers. He's better than Remenda.

Bingo.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

The way Jack's voice gets scratchy during his moments of "passionate" PBP sound a lot more suited to stampede wrestling than hockey imo.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I've listened to a number of 630 ched pbp's this year and Newflash......Michaels is getting awesome. There is waaaaay better play calling every play, way less meaningless banter in during the play, and he's making it feel that you're watching the game.

This sentiment of mine is not the same as I had previously. The first couple of years those 2 were trashier than McTrashboat himself!
:naughty: This year sounds and feels a hell of a lot different than previously. You should hear the dude call a fight. He is so specific that it feels like you're watching it live. I give very high praise to both Michaels and Stauffer for sharpening up their act. It's actually a breathe of fresh air listening to a game on the way home from work now.

Keep it up Jack! You're doing good radio. :handclap:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I've listened to a number of 630 ched pbp's this year and Newflash......Michaels is getting awesome. There is waaaaay better play calling every play, way less meaningless banter in during the play, and he's making it feel that you're watching the game.

This sentiment of mine is not the same as I had previously. The first couple of years those 2 were trashier than McTrashboat himself!
:naughty: This year sounds and feels a hell of a lot different than previously.
You should hear the dude call a fight. He is so specific that it feels like you're watching it live. I give very high praise to both Michaels and Stauffer for sharpening up their act. It's actually a breathe of fresh air listening to a game on the way home from work now.

Keep it up Jack! You're doing good radio. :handclap:

I think having a team that isn't down and out after the first period has something to do with it.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I watched the third period and thought JM did a very good job. I do believe the Kings are auditioning PBP talents for the job as ther are iirc 8 different games with different commentators and I read on his timeline someone wishing him well on the "opportunity".

I don't share the hate for him here, I think it's a tough gig when the team is a laughing stock. He's been pretty good this year and his last game final minute was great I thought. But to each his own.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Jack is actually really good on TV. He doesn't feel the need to put in the useless garbage like 'skating left to right in these colors'. He's getting better at adding emotion to his calls too and not just being super descriptive.

I also think he'd do better away from Stauffer so he'd stop talking about old WHL stories from 25 years ago during the freaking play.

McSomnii

why u no change oil
Nov 3, 2012
Little Houston, AB
I haven't really had any issues listening to Michaels this season. Hell, I'm often doing digital painting or playing games on my computer while listening to the Oilers game, and I have absolutely no problems at all following along with what's happening. At least to me, that's a pretty noticeable improvement on Michaels' part as compared to seasons past.

If anything, I occasionally find Bob Stauffer insufferable, and wouldn't mind seeing someone replace him as the radio colour commentator, but I won't hold my breath.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Jack is actually really good on TV. He doesn't feel the need to put in the useless garbage like 'skating left to right in these colors'. He's getting better at adding emotion to his calls too and not just being super descriptive.

I also think he'd do better away from Stauffer so he'd stop talking about old WHL stories from 25 years ago during the freaking play.

I agree with you but watching ARI-LAK last night for a bit during the first period there was a lengthy discussion about what teams were called in North Bay, ON back int he day. So its not completely out of his system.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Comparing him to Remenda is like comparing Hitler to Mussillini, and saying "he wasn't that bad".

The standard needs to be set a tad higher.:)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I watched the third period and thought JM did a very good job. I do believe the Kings are auditioning PBP talents for the job as ther are iirc 8 different games with different commentators and I read on his timeline someone wishing him well on the "opportunity".

I don't share the hate for him here, I think it's a tough gig when the team is a laughing stock. He's been pretty good this year and his last game final minute was great I thought. But to each his own.

Michaels performance and style, and the critique of them, have never had anything to do with the Oilers play or standing. He is what he is, no matter what.

I do however agree with those that he is better in the medium of television, where you actually get to see what is happening while he wanders off and misses it. And I also agree with getting him away from Stauffer, who has no problem prompting Jack to get carried away with his random thoughts while the play is going on.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Michaels performance and style, and the critique of them, have never had anything to do with the Oilers play or standing. He is what he is, no matter what.

I do however agree with those that he is better in the medium of television, where you actually get to see what is happening while he wanders off and misses it. And I also agree with getting him away from Stauffer, who has no problem prompting Jack to get carried away with his random thoughts while the play is going on.

Performance and style is enhanced or degraded by what is being described. Hard to describe a pile of steaming ******* and make it sound like your about to be served a $100 filet.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Comparing him to Remenda is like comparing Hitler to Mussillini, and saying "he wasn't that bad".

The standard needs to be set a tad higher.:)

Ehh, I wouldn't go that far personally. Remenda is beyond trash compared to Jack. The amount of bias comments I've seen Remenda favoring the other team is ahead than what Jack could ever do. Remenda sounded so happy when the sharks scored against us, and then talked less when the Oilers won. Guy can go back to San Jose where he belongs.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Performance and style is enhanced or degraded by what is being described. Hard to describe a pile of steaming ******* and make it sound like your about to be served a $100 filet.

Interesting. Because during some awfully dark times in the 90's , Rod Phillips did it night after night. If you're competent, you're competent. Doesn't matter how the team is. You do YOUR job, and do it well, regardless of the team's performance. Michaels still sounds like crap on the radio, because he still does the same annoying **** he did when they were garbage. It's just easier for some folks to tolerate now, because the team is winning.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Ehh, I wouldn't go that far personally. Remenda is beyond trash compared to Jack. The amount of bias comments I've seen Remenda favoring the other team is ahead than what Jack could ever do. Remenda sounded so happy when the sharks scored against us, and then talked less when the Oilers won. Guy can go back to San Jose where he belongs.

They are different types of trash. But still, at the end of the day, trash.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Interesting. Because during some awfully dark times in the 90's , Rod Phillips did it night after night. If you're competent, you're competent. Doesn't matter how the team is. You do YOUR job, and do it well, regardless of the team's performance. Michaels still sounds like crap on the radio, because he still does the same annoying **** he did when they were garbage. It's just easier for some folks to tolerate now, because the team is winning.

Phillips is in a class by himself but that doesnt make JM incompetent. And there were no darker days in play than the crap we had to suffer through for a decade straight. In any case I dont think JM is incompetent or as brutal as he is made out to be, so we can agree to disagree and to each his own.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Michaels still sounds like crap on the radio, because he still does the same annoying **** he did when they were garbage. It's just easier for some folks to tolerate now, because the team is winning.

Quite the contrast between the many comments like this around here and the ones I stumbled across on Reid Wilkins' Twitter page re. Michaels' call of the OT winner on Saturday night.

https://twitter.com/reidwilkins/status/848429610777714688

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
While JM's voice I don't feel is the best, I think a lot of people give our PbP guys crap because the Oilers were so bad for so long.

It's hard to excuse some of the crap they pulled while we were really bad. I remember turning in while driving one night and Bob and Jack got side tracked talking about 80's NCAA football trivia for what felt like 10 minutes. Granted it was in the Eakins era and the team was horrendous so it was tough to constantly talk about how they were getting killed but 30 year old trivia about a different sport and not even a top level one was just bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad