Jack Michaels: Brutal commentator

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
Seems like a yearly whinge but man, listening to 630 CHED on the road and he makes the game extremely difficult to listen to.

"Brunner passes the puck up the wing. Brunner had a big league a few years back in the Swiss league, then he played for Detroit, his favourite colour is....shoots and scores. Wow."

Absolutely terrible play by play with too much useless information.

"from the OILERS radio network".

Urgh. Maybe we can start a poll to fire this guy?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
There have been multiple threads on Michaels. He is horrible.. I think it's a consensus.

Reactions: Summary

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
One of the worst things about him is the useless stats tirade him and Stauffer go on, every single time. Even while the puck is in play. And his screaming when the Oilers score sounds God-awful.

Reactions: Summary

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
I never listen togames on the radio so I had only heard other people talk about his awfulness.

And then I experienced it on an online stream for a preseason game. My God. The hype didn't do him justice. Absolute garbage from tone to content. That stupid screech of "OILERS radio network" and describing the direction the teams are skating in even though his audience can't see the ice. Rod Phillips was a tough act to follow but this guy is deplorable by any standard.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
you know what's worse? the roster and the bullcrap management acting like they have sort of vision for this trash fest.

two leaker goalies that youre stuck with for the next 79 games
tons of wimps who get tossed around
tons of finesse fancy boys who play hockey like a video game
bad defense
no semblance of "order" in their system

Jack Michaels is the least of this organizations problems

IButtersI

Aug 30, 2012
Canada
Both him and Stauffer have a smug tone about them that makes we want to puke. Tencer too for that matter.

The team is garbage and they keep shoving the minuscule positives in our face, while never holding the team accountable whatsoever.

This whole organization needs a massive overhaul. I'm actually getting jealous of the flames rebuild at this point.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I listen to a lot of games from around the league. He's in the lower tier. He's a baseball guy's style calling hockey, not a good combo. Stauffer is mostly responsible for the hire, IMO. Morley Scott was a better colour guy than Stauffer too.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
on the OILERS radio network

the OILERS

OILERS

that yell

My Dad is very relaxed about the Oilers considering the rolled past he's gone through as a fan.

But there are two things which he could complain about for hours. Shayne Corson as captain and Jack Michaels' way of saying "OILERRRSS".

Drives me crazy too, but lots does. We literally went from the best of all time (as far as I'm concerned) to not just mediocre but the worst of any PbP guy in the NHL I've ever heard.

Bob can stay. Frumpy Jack can go back to Siberia and call arctic hockey again. Yesterday.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
Feel like I'm a member of a very small minority who doesn't really care who's working the games. Guess I just don't find it too hard to tone them out and just focus on the play. Kinda odd considering I'm about as A.D.D as it gets.

The one thing that does bug me is bad intermission programming (Looking at you, CBC).

CB420

Aug 13, 2005
Edmonton,AB
I've attempted to warm up to him over the last 2 seasons, but everytime I listen to a game for any length of time on the radio just reminds me of how great we actually had it with Rods miraculous tone of voice during the peak excitement of a tied game late in the 3rd and intonations of goal calls, bad penalties, hillarious or courageous plays, etc.

He's not the type of pbp guy with much ceiling to evolve or develop his Pbp style, this is it lol. its Jack Micheals.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Still can't believe they didn't hire Randy Hahn, who IIRC applied for the job.

Oct 30, 2011
idk, when I listen now, I just keep my ears open for goals and ignore most of the play by play.

He just isn't that great at painting a picture, and he gets off topic way too much. If he just stayed focused, and had some good notes for the game, it would be better.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
Aside from the ...OILERS! radio network. thing that he does, I really don't mind him as a PBP guy, it feels like him and Stauffer have a good chemistry together.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
you know what's worse? the roster and the bullcrap management acting like they have sort of vision for this trash fest.

two leaker goalies that youre stuck with for the next 79 games
tons of wimps who get tossed around
tons of finesse fancy boys who play hockey like a video game
bad defense
no semblance of "order" in their system

Jack Michaels is the least of this organizations problems

Ok great, but this topic is about Michaels not the rest of that stuff, I think anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad