Jack Michaels: Brutal commentator

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah. I don't mind his regular play calling and emotion, it's the canned material and schtick that I don't care for, or random mentions of other sports during game play. All in all, though, I don't mind Michaels.

I agree.
I could live with his play calling if he eliminated these elements.

Ferraro is the best.

I agree. Ferraro is one of the best analysts out there.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Seems like a yearly whinge but man, listening to 630 CHED on the road and he makes the game extremely difficult to listen to.

"Brunner passes the puck up the wing. Brunner had a big league a few years back in the Swiss league, then he played for Detroit, his favourite colour is....shoots and scores. Wow."

Absolutely terrible play by play with too much useless information.

"from the OILERS radio network".

Urgh. Maybe we can start a poll to fire this guy?
I felt like this but realized this year that he was like many of the players on the ice and was just uninspired. I got chills hearing the Desharnais OT winner call. He's making his mark but still has a long ways to go in replacing HOF Rod Phillips. Which I'm sure he'd admit

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Randorf isn't bad. Hopefully I don't have to see Remenda next season. He's probably crying in bed knowing his precious sharks lost to the Oilers.
Can you imagine a Oilers vs. Penguins final? Michaels will be wearing his Crosby underoo's calling the game

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I felt like this but realized this year that he was like many of the players on the ice and was just uninspired. I got chills hearing the Desharnais OT winner call. He's making his mark but still has a long ways to go in replacing HOF Rod Phillips. Which I'm sure he'd admit

On CHED before the game on Saturday they were running clips of Philips calling the Dallas game in the 90's (the one where the Oilers came back from a 3-0 deficit and won in O/T) intermixed with Micheal's call from Game 5. It was perfect because you could reallyhear the difference in styles with the calls being back to back.
There is nothing that compares to the way Rod used to call goals. Michael's just doesnt compare IMO. Jack sounds like he is trying to manufacture emotion...Rods emotion was sincere...nothing manufactured.

Have a listen.....

https://omny.fm/shows/ched/mashup-of-1997-and-2017-playoff-comebacks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I don't want or expect anyone to fill the rather large shoes of one Rod Phillips, and I think it's unrealistic and unfair for anyone to expect that now, or in the future. Rod was a one of a kind. Just don't like Michaels style.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Wow, especially when they are saying "We are going to Overtime!" Rod has a bit more enthusiasm while Michaels is like "We're going to overtime...this will be interesting..." I could hear a conversation from fans louder than the way Michaels said it...

Like wtf?

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Wow, especially when they are saying "We are going to Overtime!" Rod has a bit more enthusiasm while Michaels is like "We're going to overtime...this will be interesting..." I could hear a conversation from fans louder than the way Michaels said it...

This. His habit of switching from super excited to super uninterested within an instant has always irked me as well.

Case in point, the playoff clinching game against L.A. During the last minute of play, Jack was in hardcore melodramatic WWE mode. As soon as the final horn went off, his level of interest seemed to drop down to the level of a network news anchor describing another normal day. It came across like he had manufactured the energy of the moment and then totally forgotten about what he has just seen.

Add in Jack's penchant for bringing up his Penguin fandom - along with the fact that he's openly auditioning for a flashier gig in the States - and it sounds to me like you've got a guy who's more interested in his career than in the team.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This. His habit of switching from super excited to super uninterested within an instant has always irked me as well.

Case in point, the playoff clinching game against L.A. During the last minute of play, Jack was in hardcore melodramatic WWE mode. As soon as the final horn went off, his level of interest seemed to drop down to the level of a network news anchor describing another normal day. It came across like he had manufactured the energy of the moment and then totally forgotten about what he has just seen.

Add in Jack's penchant for bringing up his Penguin fandom - along with the fact that he's openly auditioning for a flashier gig in the States - and it sounds to me like you've got a guy who's more interested in his career than in the team.

For me, he just doesn't sound natural. He sounds contrived and forced. Trying too hard to be something special. I'm sure some new fans to the game will absolutely love him down in the states.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
For me, he just doesn't sound natural. He sounds contrived and forced. Trying too hard to be something special. I'm sure some new fans to the game will absolutely love him down in the states.

I think he's very good, and I like his banter about other sports. Why not?

Only complaint, and this is nitpicky, is someone has to tell him what a 'backdoor' goal is. He thinks almost every goal is backdoor. But that's not a biggie.

His calls, "In Ooooooovertiiiiiime' are awesome!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Completely agree. That stands out for me as well.
This may be a generational thing as well as manufacturing excitement seems to be just fine with the younger generation.
Reminds me of over hearing a group of 20 somethings talk about not caring if an artist at a live event is lip syncing or not. For me that is inexcusable and I would never pay to watch someone lip sync. Younger folk dont seem to mind at all.

It also seems that the people who like the WWE seem to like Jacks play calling more. I am curious to know if thats largely true.

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
At first I wasn't sure about Jack Michaels, but to be honest he's really grown on me and I rather like him now. He has a lot of energy and that's one of the most important elements to a radio announcer IMHO.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I think Michael's enthusiasm is fairly genuine actually. The big difference for me is the resonance and sonarity of each persons voice. Mr. Phillips has that beautiful tone to his voice even when he's screaming at the top of his lungs. Michael's shrill, grating tone is a beast most can do without. Especially when it starts sounding contrived.

I like Michaels.....but he doesn't hold a candle to Phillips. I'd think that anybody in the broadcasting business would wish to have Rod's tone of voice. It's pretty sweet.

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
Still find Michaels style irritating. The whole 'OOOOOOOOOOOOOOvvvveerrttieEeEeEeEeEmmmm' was not to my tempo. Much prefer Rod's style if we are to compare. More exciting to listen to IMO.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Sorted threads by number of views by accident and noticed this one has more than double the next closest thread.

That’s odd :huh:

Jack looking at it 200 times a day?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad