McKenzie: Jack Eichel has not requested a trade from Buffalo. NYR amongst interested teams who have called tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But let's be honest here, Eichel HAS already spoken out about being unhappy with the progress of team and this past season, no more steps forward happened. So you could see him getting frustrated if he isn't seeing progress.

Reactions: deflowd

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
But let's be honest here, Eichel HAS already spoken out about being unhappy with the progress of team and this past season, no more steps forward happened. So you could see him getting frustrated if he isn't seeing progress.

They just acquired a high end center to insulate him and finally give him support down the middle behind him.Staal the last 3 years is 33rd in scoring among centers, ahead of guys like Duchene, Pavelski,Krejci,Domi and Couture. He is a borderline 1C in his own right even at his age and the Sabres added him before the draft and free agency even started. Eichel will get the help he needs.

Reactions: Luckylarry

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
They just acquired a high end center to insulate him and finally give him support down the middle behind him.Staal the last 3 years is 33rd in scoring among centers, ahead of guys like Duchene, Pavelski,Krejci,Domi and Couture. He is a borderline 1C in his own right even at his age and the Sabres added him before the draft and free agency even started. Eichel will get the help he needs.

Pump the brakes

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It’s hard fir the Sabres to progress when they are limiting their internal cap to 70 million. (Isn’t that the number suggested?)

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
It’s hard fir the Sabres to progress when they are limiting their internal cap to 70 million. (Isn’t that the number suggested?)

I think the Sabres are one of many teams that are going to have internal cap this year due to COVID-19, it has everything to do with no gate revenue than random penny-pinching. Heck, there are teams that haven't paid players their bonuses, Buffalo isn't one of them.

That being said, the Sabres have a lot of cap room (~$34 million, second-most in the league after Ottawa: CapFriendly - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps), so even a $70 million cap won't have much of an impact on the Sabres as they still have $24 million to sign 12 players, which is plenty with the only big-name RFA being Reinhart (who'll probably sign for $6-7 milion). If anything, it means they aren't going to sign an overpriced winger to a long-term contract, so in my view, it's somewhat of a positive.

Last edited:

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I think its more of a real dollars cap, not cap-hit, they can still acquire a player with a higher cap hit owed fewer dollars..like Stepan/Raanta contracts.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That being said, the Sabres have a lot of cap room (~$34 million, second-most in the league after Ottawa: CapFriendly - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps), so even a $70 million cap won't have much of an impact on the Sabres as they still have $24 million to sign 12 players, which is plenty with the only big-name RFA being Reinhart (who'll probably sign for $6-7 milion). If anything, it means they aren't going to sign an overpriced winger to a long-term contract, so in my view, it's somewhat of a positive.

Buffalo has 5/5/1 under contract. They need to fill their roster.

RFAs assumedresigned and on the main 23 man roster will be 4/1/1 at around $20M
So 9/6/2 with about $13M in space. They could fill roster with internal promotions and $1M and under vets giving them about $8M to play with.

That isn’t factoring in other trades.

I think its more of a real dollars cap, not cap-hit, they can still acquire a player with a higher cap hit owed fewer dollars..like Stepan/Raanta contracts.

I think most of the multi year contracts will be back-loaded. So that $20M in contracts might be only about $12M in real money paid. Any multi yr free agent signed also likely has higher later years .

This would likely create the $10M in empty space where the cap hit is around $79M+ deadcap space ( buy out and bonus roll over) but actuall pay out around $70M in real salary.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Pump the brakes

Pump the brakes? Like I said, Eric Staal the last 3 seasons has outscored guys like Duchene, Couture, Pavelski,Horvat,Dubois Krejci among a lot of other big names that HF treats as high end players. There are about to be 32 teams in a year. Finishing 33rd in center scoring over the last 3 years literally makes him one of the best 2Cs in the league and a borderline 1C even in his mid 30s. Staal will likely end up with 20-25 goals and 55-60 points getting 2nd line ice time.

Over the last four years Staal is 24th in center scoring making him a 1C using metric. Fun fact, since 2016 points wise Eric Staal is closer to RoR, Sean Monahan and Patrice Bergeron in points then Logan Couture, Dylan Larkin, Matt Duchene and Ryan Getzlaf are to Staal. Don't sell him short. He is still a top 30-35 center in the league overall and is a virtual lock for 20 goals EVERY season. In his entire 17 year career Staal has failed to score a 20+goal/82 gp pace just twice...and 1 of those was as an 18 year old nearly 2 decades ago.

People are underestimating what a 20+ goal 50+ point center to play behind Eichel will do for Jack. Now that the Sabres finally have 2 legit top 6 centers again they will employ a damn nice top 6.

member 328930

Benning offers Sutter, next years 1st, Rathbone, and Pearson. Buff gets a high pick, a top 6 fwd, an elite penalty killing glue guy that can help bring room together and blue chip D prospect.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Benning offers Sutter, next years 1st, Rathbone, and Pearson. Buff gets a high pick, a top 6 fwd, an elite penalty killing glue guy that can help bring room together and blue chip D prospect.

Buffalo offers Vancouver some belly button lint for Petersson and Quinn.

Reactions: sabremike

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I'll give you Okposo and some used toilet paper for Pettersson.

Reactions: sabremike

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

I feel like I've heard this song before.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The value for Eichel is hard to project, his playingstyle is very diffrent many others, and has his own skating style.

Something like Eichel for Panarin straight up.

Zinanejad and Eichel is the two I see most similaritys with.

Eichel << >> 1st unprotected 2020 (Lafrenierre)+rooster player.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
ok..how about Podkolzin, next years 1st, Sutter and Rathbone?
Nah, Buffalo couldn't possibly accept that much for Jack. Take out the first and Rathbone.

You know what, just keep Podkolzin, too, and make it Sutter for Eichel straight up, what ya say. After all, you said he's a glue guy, right?

Anything else we can help you with?

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Nah, Buffalo couldn't possibly accept that much for Jack. Take out the first and Rathbone.

You know what, just keep Podkolzin, too, and make it Sutter for Eichel straight up, what ya say. After all, you said he's a glue guy, right?

Anything else we can help you with?

Sutter comes from a good old Canadian hockey family so you better throw Ristolainen as a sweetener or no deal

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Sutter comes from a good old Canadian hockey family so you better throw Ristolainen as a sweetener or no deal
Shoot, totally forgot about that, you're right.
Ristolainen + Eichel for Sutter it is, then.
Only if Vancouver accepts, that is, of course.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Think Buffalo needs to do some retention to make the money work..
Geez, how could I forget, gotta make the old salary cap work, of course!

Now let me see... Eriksson for Dahlin on top of it. How about that. Now I know, he's no Loui, but you'll find he's a young defender with some talent and that cap relief gotta count for something, right?

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
I'd happily do 1OA+a roster player of their choosing to make money work+a good D prospect+my first born child for Eichel

For such a good player, he doesn't get enough slack for the absolutely offensive black hole he plays on. On a decent team, he'd be contending for the Art Ross

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I'd happily do 1OA+a roster player of their choosing to make money work+a good D prospect+my first born child for Eichel

For such a good player, he doesn't get enough slack for the absolutely offensive black hole he plays on. On a decent team, he'd be contending for the Art Ross
This Rangers fan gets it.

Reactions: Allan92

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Eichel for Lafreniere and Kakko.

I’m assuming rangers would have to dump salary.

who says no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad