McKenzie: Jack Eichel has not requested a trade from Buffalo. NYR amongst interested teams who have called tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Not in this thread. Just making a point of how silly you guys look in these threads, telling fans of the other team that their guys suck, but you want them anyway. Like you are really going to get Eichel?

I've doing no such thing. Always been a huge Eichel fan. PB doesn't speak for us (we've disowned him anyway).

I will say that if the Sabres suck again this year, Eichel will request a trade. And the Rangers will be one of the top suitors.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I've doing no such thing. Always been a huge Eichel fan. PB doesn't speak for us (we've disowned him anyway).

I will say that if the Sabres suck again this year, Eichel will request a trade. And the Rangers will be one of the top suitors.

OK, so let's play the scenario. Sabres suck and Eichel requests a trade. He's got zero leverage. His NMC doesn't kick in until after the 21-22 season, and his next signing bonus is paid at the end of the 21-22 season. The Sabres can sit on him for the entire 21-22 season until they get the trade they want.

What's to say that a team with a better pipeline, like say LA, doesn't put a better offer on the table? The Kings could put a better package together in young talent and picks than most of the offers from Rangers fans on this thread.

The idea that the Sabres would get less than market value is a flawed idea. Buffalo has all the leverage in trade talks for an entire year.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
OK, so let's play the scenario. Sabres suck and Eichel requests a trade. He's got zero leverage. His NMC doesn't kick in until after the 21-22 season, and his next signing bonus is paid at the end of the 21-22 season. The Sabres can sit on him for the entire 21-22 season until they get the trade they want.

What's to say that a team with a better pipeline, like say LA, doesn't put a better offer on the table? The Kings could put a better package together in young talent and picks than most of the offers from Rangers fans on this thread.

The idea that the Sabres would get less than market value is a flawed idea. Buffalo has all the leverage in trade talks for an entire year.
Whatever. Fans are always in denial about things like this but they're always wrong. If he wants out he'll get his wish.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Whatever. Fans are always in denial about things like this but they're always wrong. If he wants out he'll get his wish.

How? By retiring? :laugh: He is here for SIX MORE YEARS. He has 1 less year of team control then the guy you will pick 1st overall.

It is you Ranger fans in denial thinking you can get Eichel for your spare change. How about #8+Asplund+Samuelsson+Johnson+Mittelstadt for #1. It is as fair and as much if not better value then your garbage DeAngelo+22+garbage for Eichel fantasy.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
not sure if it's been posted here and there's probably no legs behind it but Jimmy Hayes is saying Eichel for #1OA and Trouba on the missin curfew podcast..... that would be quite a bad trade for Buffalo IMO.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
The Flyers didn’t get the better player. Forsberg was at least as good, if not better.

No team in their right mind would trade what Philly did knowing how it turned out. I’ve seen people reference this numerous times and it’s a silly thing to say.
Nah you're wrong, Healthy Lindros was far superior to Foppa and that trade was worth it even in hindsight if Lindros had a fully healthy career despite how great Foppa ended up, Lindros was just that dominant.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Buffalo had more than just Dahlin and Eichel

Eichel is worth more than Lindros was because he is proven and under contract for 4+ yrs at the time to trade if it was to occur

Flyers made the finals under Lindroa

Sure the rangers have some youth. They have a 3 yr window to try and getto the final before the young kids want money.

You are out of touch with what is on the team.

Buddalo has UPL who is just as good as the prospect goalie you suggest Buffalo take at 8OA which would be 5 yrs before he even sees the NHL. Look at Caps goalie Samsinov. He might be the starter in 20.21 5 yrs after his draft class. Buffalo might have taken him with their pick but instead opted for a young NHL goalie in Lehner. They wanted to try and follow a Chicago type of cup run before Roews and Kane ended their ELC contracts.

lets also not forget the failure of 1st round goalies over the years...

With Chicago it took 6 yrs of drafts LA took 7 yrs od drafts before they made playoff advancements
Just stop, please.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Nah you're wrong, Healthy Lindros was far superior to Foppa and that trade was worth it even in hindsight if Lindros had a fully healthy career despite how great Foppa ended up, Lindros was just that dominant.

Incorrect. Forsberg won every individual award that Lindros did. He outscored him in spite of fewer games. Forsberg has his share of injuries too.

Reactions: SanBlom

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
How? By retiring? :laugh: He is here for SIX MORE YEARS. He has 1 less year of team control then the guy you will pick 1st overall.

It is you Ranger fans in denial thinking you can get Eichel for your spare change. How about #8+Asplund+Samuelsson+Johnson+Mittelstadt for #1. It is as fair and as much if not better value then your garbage DeAngelo+22+garbage for Eichel fantasy.

Lol who are you talking to? I didn't even offer a package and if I did it wouldn't be that.

I don't care how many years he has left.

If he demands a trade he'll get it. And I know that hurts Sabres fans feelings which is why you're lashing out but we've seen it before.

I'm a Jets fan in the NFL and Jets fans were saying the same things about Jamal Adams. Now I don't think Jack will go about it the same way but when a star player is disgruntled, the team can't just hold him hostage no matter what the contract says.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
If the Lindros trade happened in a salary cap era, with Lindros 5 years into his career and a $10m annual cap hit, that trade would have looked much different.

When star players get traded, even the rare instances where it was a megastar, the return is never what fans hope it will be. If your young star wants out of town, you lost the trade the moment he made those wishes known

Eichel would get a crazy good package of prospects and young players, no doubt. But he's not getting Lafreniere/Kakko/Fox/Zibanejad/2 1sts/3 prospects, etc. He's not even getting traded for a cost controlled potential superstar like Lafreniere unless it was a 1 for 1, and even then I don't see it.

Also, Eichel isn't going anywhere for at least another season. Can't see the divorce happening now, based on what they've already paid him in bonuses. Let's assume the Sabres get worst next year and have a bad offseason right after, and Eichel demands a trade.

Let's say that Kakko has a breakout year, maybe 60ish points, to show that he's still on pace to be a star winger. And other top NYR prospects continue to improve.

If the deal happened with NYR, you're likely looking at a package similar to: Kakko/Kreider (Salary reasons, plus he's an elite top 6 and a proven leader)/Nils Lundqvist/Chytil (especially if he has an improved season showing he's capable of at least being a #2 center, if not more), plus 2 unprotected 1st rounders.

In other words: a top line veteran forward, two young potential stars under the age of 22 (one of whom is legitimately one of the 5 best players under 21 in hockey), one of the 10 best defensive prospects in the game, and two unprotected firsts.

It'll be the same type of deal from LA, and whoever else. And honestly, it might not even be as good of a deal as I just described.

Not trying to troll Sabres fans here, and I honestly don't think Eichel's going to be traded, but we know the history of how deals like this go down, and it isn't pretty.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Lol who are you talking to? I didn't even offer a package and if I did it wouldn't be that.

I don't care how many years he has left.

If he demands a trade he'll get it. And I know that hurts Sabres fans feelings which is why you're lashing out but we've seen it before.

I'm a Jets fan in the NFL and Jets fans were saying the same things about Jamal Adams. Now I don't think Jack will go about it the same way but when a star player is disgruntled, the team can't just hold him hostage no matter what the contract says.

Comparing the NFL to NHL is absolutely pointless. Locker room problems in the NFL can bring down the entire team. The Jets are garbage and rebuilding anyway so they are just following the Dolphins blue print. The return on Adams was also huge, so if Ranger fans start offering comparable proposals we wouldn't be "lashing out". But you guys arent. You want our best player, an elite franchise center and not willing to offer even one high end piece that is what we are f***ing annoyed about.Jack Eichel has zero leverage to force his way out. If a fair offer isn't given he isn't being dealt, period. He has 6 years left. If he is upset well he shouldn't have accepted an 8 year deal. You guys are not getting Eichel for your scraps so stop dreaming of a future Eichel/AL/Kakko/Panarin/Zib forward group. In any Eichel trade it includes #1. We don't want f***ing Kapo Kakko as the centerpiece for Eichel. We don't want a non guaranteed winger for our ppg+ franchise center.

We aren't "lashing" out, we are sick of being told we must accept these garbage proposals on an internet message board. Eichel is an elite talent and I'd rather have a pouting ppg+ 2 way young center then trade him for scraps. The Sabres hold ALL the leverage.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You feel like this is the offseason when the big market teams are going to flex a little. And the NHL wants their powerhouse franchises getting back to the top, that's why they keep winning lotteries.

I still can't see a future for Lafreniere behind Panarin and Kreider, and neither are getting moved. Sabres ownership has got to be feeling the financial pinch, maybe a good season to reset. I was thinking Eichel for 1st overall, Lias Andersson and K'Andre Miller. Two disgruntled players move in opposite directions. I almost feel like there should be some Bruce Mc Nall like cash thrown in this deal, but I think that's illegal now.

Anyways if you're the Sabres maybe start over

Lafreniere-Cozens-Reinhart
Skinner-Staal-Olofsson
Kahun-Andersson-Okposo
Vet-Lazar-T. Thompson

Trade a RH defenseman (Montour?) for more forward help.

And save some money this year. Next year you can maybe get to the playoffs, with fans in the seats.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Lindros, fresh drafted #1OA with a consensus generational outlook. On ans entry level. Folks had him having absolutely all world skill and massive size, he was set to literally take over the league at 18 years old.

Jack Eichel, very skilled, early 20’s player who’s had several years in the NHL and proven himself to be a very talented, 80 point center with flaws to his game. He could still be getting better, but absolutely no one thinks he’s remotely close to being generational. His defensive game is nice, but not great and he’s very bad on face offs. He’s also on a big contract(fair, but big).

The trade value of these 2 players is so ridiculously far off that you’d literally have to be delusional to think a return would be close in any way shape or form.

Reactions: Tripod

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I guess if Pegula instructs the gm to shop him around for best package of youth so they can reboot around those guys he could be moved .

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The GM is in a tough spot. He doesn't want to start out his tenure as "the guy who traded Jack Eichel" but at the same time, this is when the Sabres have the most leverage and flexibility to trade him.

The most likely scenario is that Buffalo will try to make it work with Jack. They've beautifully positioned themselves to be buyers in the ultimate buyers market (as long as they're willing to spend). But things could get stuck in the mud if UFA's don't want to sign in Buffalo and/or we see that resistance by way of the NTC. The Sabres could take on salary of teams trying to shed payroll but so many impact players have NTCs. So the decision to move ahead trying to make it work, while keeping Jack, isn't without risk.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Teams would prefer to make a trade rather than sit players for a year, or keep an unhappy, toxic player in their lineup. In the end, the organization hurts itself. But maybe everyone is clueless and Eichel is happy to stay.

Teams would prefer to trade for players that want to play in their organization. Maybe Eichel doesn't care, and in your scenario, LA offers more with Eichel happy to join. Or maybe they don't waste their time if Eichel isn't all in. It's more complicated than "Eichel has no leverage"

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Buffalo GM: So we're looking to make a few trades here.
Every other GM: So what do you want for Eichel?
Buffalo GM: Oh no, we want to build the team around him. He isn't going anywhere.
Every other GM: So does that mean you want more than a 1st rounder and a roster player?
Buffalo GM: For who?
Every other GM: Eichel
Buffalo GM: I told you he isn't available for trade.
Every other GM: Does that mean you want more than a roster player and a 1st? What if we throw in another first?
Buffalo GM Hangs up phone.
TSN/Sportsnet/ESPN: Well you''ve heard it. Buffalo isn't making any moves this off-season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad