McKenzie: Jack Eichel has not requested a trade from Buffalo. NYR amongst interested teams who have called tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
No ranger fans think they get everything for free like spoiled kids ..

You're wrong

Yeah because every single Rangers fan has this exact mentality.

tenor.gif

Reactions: One Winged Angel

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Why should that matter?

PB, there are two things that matter:

1- Buffalo has no reason to trade Eichel at a discount. He and Dahlin are the only good things going for that franchise right now. Unless the offer is a Lindros-like return, it isn't worth it for them.

2- The Rangers would be stupid to offer a Lindros-like return. Know your history. Philly got the best player in the deal. Quebec/Colorado lifted Lord Stanley twice using the pieces they got in return. The Rangers ALMOST pulled off a deal for Lindros. Leaning on the players who would have been sent to Quebec, they lifted Lord Stanley in 1994. Of the three teams involved, the only one that didn't win a Cup was Philly. They've only been to the Cup final once since that trade (losing in 2010, oddly enough with a former Sabre in Briere leading the charge in the playoffs).

The Rangers look like they have finally re-built the right way. They have high end prospects up and down the lineup and at every position. They have a handful of young vets who are in the top tier of their positions. Now is not the time to do something stupid. Sending the equivalent of the Lindros haul to Buffalo would basically just end up with the two teams trading positions. The Rangers would be top heavy with no depth and little future. The Sabres would have an influx of youth plus extra picks to play with the next couple of years. Don't trade rebuild positions with Buffalo because the toy happens to be particularly shiny and new.

The best thing for Buffalo would probably be to blow it up outside of their big two. They need additional picks. The Staal trade was a great move, as I think they could get a first for him as an expiring contract at the deadline (not so much for MarJo). Move Montour, Risto, Olofsson, and Reinhart. Try and pull a Detroit and pick up some extra picks in rounds 1 and 2 for taking on short term contract dumps. If I were them, I would take a serious look at Askarov if he's there at #8. That's a piece to build around that will have more of an impact than the 4th best C or 3rd best D etc etc. They have a #1c. They have a #1 D. Go get your high end starter in goal and then start supplementing through the draft, while signing short term contracts with vets as place-holders (preferably players who hate to lose. I still think a big reason that Columbus turned it around was the addition of Dubinsky to their locker room. It went a long way towards turning a long-term losing culture into one where losing isn't tolerated). The question is whether Dahlin/Eichel will have the patience to do that. I hope they do get it together. I lived in western NY for the last ~10 years, and that fanbase deserves some success.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
2- The Rangers would be stupid to offer a Lindros-like return. Know your history. Philly got the best player in the deal. Quebec/Colorado lifted Lord Stanley twice using the pieces they got in return. The Rangers ALMOST pulled off a deal for Lindros. Leaning on the players who would have been sent to Quebec, they lifted Lord Stanley in 1994. Of the three teams involved, the only one that didn't win a Cup was Philly. They've only been to the Cup final once since that trade (losing in 2010, oddly enough with a former Sabre in Briere leading the charge in the playoffs
Well, no. Lindros led them to the 1997 Cup Finals where they lost to Detroit.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
No ranger fans think they get everything for free like spoiled kids ..

You're wrong
Well there are a couple things at play here. Firstly, we just all have to admit that the Rangers have had an advantage in landing premier targets in the market place. It's just a fact. NY is a place that players want to play and we've seen players demand trades here or sign here for less money time and time again. It's a privilege to be a Rangers fan in that regard. Also have to remember that if you're speaking about trade value, every single fan is going to value their own teams players probably too much. The makings of a good trade usually means that both fanbases feel a pretty strong sting, but not strong enough for them to be not excited. That's a tough balance.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
No, the problem is that the sabres don't need anything on ice to sell tickets. They will sell out regardless, they were selling max season tickets with a several year waiting list when we were the worst team in the league./QUOTE]
Have you been to a game in a while. There is NO WAITING LIST at all. I don't know where you get your facts from at all -- watching when the Leafs come into town or something.

I moved down to row 1 on 300 level three years ago because of so many cancellations. You can have your pick of seats now. It's not Florida but lots of choice.

Sabres were 20th in the league this year in attendance. 2019-2020 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

BTW, this is all with the border open. It' could be closed for next year.

The games are easily 20% Canadian fans most night and closer to 75% for Leafs and Habs. Other Canadian teams and original six like Bruins can be much higher than 20%.

Renewals this year are brutal. I put mine on hold for a year -- an option they allowed.

Sabres have major ticket issues now. The secondary market for tickets is US$6-40 for any ticket in house on a weekday. Season ticket holders have been disappearing because of this.

You don't know what you are talking about.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The Flyers didn’t get the better player. Forsberg was at least as good, if not better.

No team in their right mind would trade what Philly did knowing how it turned out. I’ve seen people reference this numerous times and it’s a silly thing to say.

Reactions: Makar27

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
PB, there are two things that matter:

1- Buffalo has no reason to trade Eichel at a discount. He and Dahlin are the only good things going for that franchise right now. Unless the offer is a Lindros-like return, it isn't worth it for them.

Buffalo had more than just Dahlin and Eichel

2- The Rangers would be stupid to offer a Lindros-like return. Know your history. Philly got the best player in the deal. Quebec/Colorado lifted Lord Stanley twice using the pieces they got in return. The Rangers ALMOST pulled off a deal for Lindros. Leaning on the players who would have been sent to Quebec, they lifted Lord Stanley in 1994. Of the three teams involved, the only one that didn't win a Cup was Philly. They've only been to the Cup final once since that trade (losing in 2010, oddly enough with a former Sabre in Briere leading the charge in the playoffs).

Eichel is worth more than Lindros was because he is proven and under contract for 4+ yrs at the time to trade if it was to occur

Flyers made the finals under Lindroa
The Rangers look like they have finally re-built the right way. They have high end prospects up and down the lineup and at every position. They have a handful of young vets who are in the top tier of their positions. Now is not the time to do something stupid. Sending the equivalent of the Lindros haul to Buffalo would basically just end up with the two teams trading positions. The Rangers would be top heavy with no depth and little future. The Sabres would have an influx of youth plus extra picks to play with the next couple of years. Don't trade rebuild positions with Buffalo because the toy happens to be particularly shiny and new.

Sure the rangers have some youth. They have a 3 yr window to try and getto the final before the young kids want money.

The best thing for Buffalo would probably be to blow it up outside of their big two. They need additional picks. The Staal trade was a great move, as I think they could get a first for him as an expiring contract at the deadline (not so much for MarJo). Move Montour, Risto, Olofsson, and Reinhart. Try and pull a Detroit and pick up some extra picks in rounds 1 and 2 for taking on short term contract dumps. If I were them, I would take a serious look at Askarov if he's there at #8. That's a piece to build around that will have more of an impact than the 4th best C or 3rd best D etc etc. They have a #1c. They have a #1 D. Go get your high end starter in goal and then start supplementing through the draft, while signing short term contracts with vets as place-holders (preferably players who hate to lose. I still think a big reason that Columbus turned it around was the addition of Dubinsky to their locker room. It went a long way towards turning a long-term losing culture into one where losing isn't tolerated). The question is whether Dahlin/Eichel will have the patience to do that. I hope they do get it together. I lived in western NY for the last ~10 years, and that fanbase deserves some success.

You are out of touch with what is on the team.

Buddalo has UPL who is just as good as the prospect goalie you suggest Buffalo take at 8OA which would be 5 yrs before he even sees the NHL. Look at Caps goalie Samsinov. He might be the starter in 20.21 5 yrs after his draft class. Buffalo might have taken him with their pick but instead opted for a young NHL goalie in Lehner. They wanted to try and follow a Chicago type of cup run before Roews and Kane ended their ELC contracts.

lets also not forget the failure of 1st round goalies over the years...

With Chicago it took 6 yrs of drafts LA took 7 yrs od drafts before they made playoff advancements

Reactions: seagull

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
I just don't see Eichel as being worth gutting the team. We have a great thing going and have the best prospect pool in the league after winning the lottery. Let's stay focused and contend for the next decade

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The Flyers didn’t get the better player. Forsberg was at least as good, if not better.

No team in their right mind would trade what Philly did knowing how it turned out. I’ve seen people reference this numerous times and it’s a silly thing to say.

At the time, Lindros was viewed as the superior player, even though I’d say Forsberg was the better player overall. Peak Lindros was one of the most dominant forces the game has ever seen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad