Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Unfortunately, Marner appears to be a "Beautiful Loser", similar to his Knights contemporaries, Horvat, Domi and Andersson.

Buyer beware.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
is Marner that bad? I admit to only watching about a period and a half of that series.

But yet all the prognosticators have him on Team Canada for the Bettman Cup.

Which is it? He’s a bum or a keeper?
He's both. A keeper in the regular season, which us why he likely gets picked for TC. But an absolute Bum in the playoffs. Also.....overpaid.

Reactions: north49er

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Marner controls the situation with his NMC. Zero chance he accepts to go to another white hot market, especially in Canada, I would imagine.

And I seriously doubt he wants to be THE guy on a team, so there has to be an equivalent or better forward.

The list of teams is not long.
To be fair he isnt even THE guy on the leafs. If he can't even play behind 2-3 elite players who can he play behind???

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Pretty tough to trade for him. One year left, even at $8.5 or 9 million, is a massive risk for the other team. It is not like he will not ask for a raise.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Jared Spurgeon. His NMC is up this summer. Maybe the heat will be on Marner so much that he will be glad to get out of Toronto, and will waive his NMC?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The return will be underwhelming. I mean there are teams out there who can use a high scoring winger to make the playoffs. And maybe if you surround him with gritty players he can perform better in the playoffs.
But he has a NTC and he’s got a reputation as a mercenary so a lot of teams may view him as a one year rental. He can and probably will dictate one or two teams he will go to as well.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
is Marner that bad? I admit to only watching about a period and a half of that series.

But yet all the prognosticators have him on Team Canada for the Bettman Cup.

Which is it? He’s a bum or a keeper?
Huge bum since birth

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Imo the best move for everyone involved would be Marner at 50% for someone on a bad team with a big contract with 2-3 years left at 50%.

Not saying to actually trade for Karlsson, just using him as a placeholder of such a contract to get the idea across

Marner at 50% as of July 1st comes in at a 5.45mil cap hit with just under 400k actual cash owed.

Karlsson at 50% comes in at 5mil cap hit for 3 years and his remaining cash is split at 13 mil each roughly.

Cap spend for both teams is basically net neutral year 1, Leafs get a 2 years of a discount vet after that. The team getting Marner can rehab his value a bit letting him run their offense in a low pressure environment and then flip him at 2.275 mil at the deadline to whatever team he would extend with for a much bigger haul than their original vet could land them.

Obviously picks, prospects, or other B pieces to balance the deal depending on who the vet on the other side is.

Reactions: Captain Controversy

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rossi + Middleton would probably be my first thought.
Leafs could use both, but the cap numbers aren't even close to working out, and frankly, i'd rather have those two. Marner will be near impossible to re-sign... the guy makes 11M, and will probably want a raise, or at least the same amount again. What do we pay Kaprizov when his contract comes up, 13 million? Faber? Leaving an unhappy Boldy and JEE?

Part of the reason the Leafs are so screwed up is because they ignored salary structure on the team. I don't want to import that problem into the Wild. One year of Marner, see what happens, but probably have to cut him loose.

Leafs need a RHD, not a LHD, and frankly, the cap number going out with Spurgeon(7.5M) is more realistic than the numbers for Rossi(ELC) and Middleton(2.5M).

I'm sure Leaf fans wont be thrilled with the return, but i don't care. Marner is an extremely expensive failure that will probably only stick around for a year, at least in MN, unless he is prepared to take a pay cut.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would trade whatever the Leafs would want on the Sharks roster except for Eklund and Zetterlund. No futures though at that rate in our situation.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
NMC
1 year remaining until UFA
Playoff underperformer
(imo) Attitude problems

I think his value would be less than you'd think just looking at his stats.

Could move him for a pretty good Dman in a similar contract situation maybe.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
I can’t wait until Marner gets traded or signs somewhere else and comes back and torches the Leafs. Every year it’s the same thing, he gets trashed and yet Matthews can drop his pants and s**t on the Leaf logo and centre ice and the idiot Leafs fans will kiss his a$$ and tell him and everyone else how great he is.

The problem started years ago with the Tavares signing, they overpaid for him and ever since the core has demanded to be paid comparable, so the Leafs have been forced to overpay all of them.

The problems start at the top with Shanahan he has been running the show through this whole roster building and cap utilization mess and the time has come for him to pay with his job.

Last edited:

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I am a Seth Jones truther, he's still good at hockey, but has been stuck on shit teams for a while.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I would trade whatever the Leafs would want on the Sharks roster except for Eklund and Zetterlund. No futures though at that rate in our situation.
On one hand, if all our futures plus Eklund and Zetterlund are off the table, there really isn’t anything valuable you’re offering up (Ferraro? Sturm? Granlund?) so I understand you. But on the other hand, the Sharks really shouldn’t be trading for Marner. I’d explore trying to sign him as a UFA, though.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Mar 26, 2010
If you trade Marner after july 1st, a team like Chicago could retain for really cheap. His real money after July 1st is only league minimum. So a 50% retain is only 375k in money for over 5 million in cap savings
Chicago could make sense to play with Bedard.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Chicago could make sense to play with Bedard.

I think that poster was referring to CHI retaining an extra 50% and moving him to a third team.

CHI doesn't make sense as a landing spot to me considering Marner only has 1 year until UFA, and they would have to give up futures to get him (it's all they have right now).

Mar 26, 2010
I think that poster was referring to CHI retaining an extra 50% and moving him to a third team.

CHI doesn't make sense as a landing spot to me considering Marner only has 1 year until UFA, and they would have to give up futures to get him (it's all they have right now).
I meant an extended Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad