McKenzie: Jack Eichel has not requested a trade from Buffalo. NYR amongst interested teams who have called tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
PAYWALL

What I'm hearing about the NHL offseason: Lundqvist, goalie deals, RFAs and more

Relevant excerpt from Craig Custance: The Jack Eichel trade market was fun while it lasted, which was all about 10 minutes for Bob McKenzie to finish his Twitter thread. One executive theorized that the Sabres might have listened to get a sense of what his trade value is worth but that's it, "I don't know how you make that deal and sell it to the fanbase," he said.

Craig must be mistaken, he clearly didn't check with the Rangers fan who knows for certain that Eichel will not only be traded, but he'll be traded for a rental price (even though he's signed for 6 more years), and there's only two teams that he'll accept a trade to (even though he doesn't have a NMC in his contract for another two years), one of which happens to be the team the fan roots for.
I'm not gonna comment either way on Eichel trade and value, but in regards to "selling" a Eichel trade to the Buffalo fanbase, I wonder how that exactly would be the straw that broke the camel's back for a team that's been bad for the last 9 years and doesn't look like it's going to get better anytime soon, even with him, and has an ownership that doesn't seem to know what they are doing and want to get cheaper. If they are still around now they'll still be there after an Eichel trade.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I'm not gonna comment either way on Eichel trade and value, but in regards to "selling" a Eichel trade to the Buffalo fanbase, I wonder how that exactly would be the straw that broke the camel's back for a team that's been bad for the last 9 years and doesn't look like it's going to get better anytime soon, even with him, and has an ownership that doesn't seem to know what they are doing and want to get cheaper. If they are still around now they'll still be there after an Eichel trade.

The same statement can be applied to the 2000s Rangers, who were mired in mediocrity for well over a decade, and are owned by one of the worst owners in all sports, James Dolan.

Somehow, a team owned by a worse version of Pegula managed to turn it around, so there must be hope for a Sabres team that has historically been competitive enough to compete in the playoffs, and still has one of the highest regular-season winning percentages in the league even after the tank years.

The answer to your question of why losing Eichel would be fundamentally unacceptable to Sabres fans, and most importantly, season ticket holders, is because this would be a worse offense to Sabres fans than trading ROR, and even worse than the Sabres not signing Chris Drury and Daniel Briere after the 2006-2007 President's trophy season. The Sabres finally have a true franchise center that they haven't had since Gilbert Perrault when the team was first formed, trading Eichel in his prime for scraps on the heels of trading a Conn Smythe and Selke trophy-winning ROR would be a death knell for a small-market team. Fans would lose interest at a rate a small-market team like Buffalo would struggle to compensate for, especially after season ticket renewal rates have finally started declining after holding steady at 98%+ year-after-year all through the tank years--the reason for that is because of Eichel, without him, renewal rates will nosedive.

Last edited:

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
The same statement can be applied to the 2000s Rangers, who were mired in mediocrity for well over a decade, and are owned by one of the worst owners in all sports, James Dolan.

Somehow, a team owned by a worse version of Pegula managed to turn it around, so there must be hope for a Sabres team that has historically been competitive enough to compete in the playoffs, and still has one of the highest regular-season winning percentages in the league even after the tank years.

The answer to your question of why losing Eichel would be fundamentally unacceptable to Sabres fans, and most importantly, season ticket holders, is because this would be a worse offense to Sabres fans than trading ROR, and even worse than the Sabres not signing Chris Drury and Daniel Briere after the 2006-2007 President's trophy season. The Sabres finally have a true franchise center that they haven't had since Gilbert Perrault when the team was first formed, trading Eichel in his prime for scraps on the heels of trading a Conn Smythe and Selke trophy-winning ROR would be a death knell for a small-market team. Fans would lose interest at a rate a small-market team like Buffalo would struggle to compensate for, especially after season ticket renewal rates have finally started declining after holding steady at 98%+ year-after-year all through the tank years--the reason for that is because of Eichel, without him, renewal rates will nosedive.

Yeah Rangers Dolan is a lot different from Knicks Dolan, it's not the same. Rangers Dolan keeps he hands out of Rangers business, he just signs the checks. Pegula's wife is running the Sabres, who are on a current mandate to cut costs. That's gonna effect how you build a team that already needed a lot. Rangers in 2000 aren't comparable to these Sabres in any way. Rangers don't have a problem getting free agents, don't have an owner who is penny pinching, and don't have a rookie GM. Also, the two players who pulled the Rangers out of their 2000 doldrums were Jagr and Henrik, two future HOFers, and mostly Lundqvist. So unless there's a legendary goalie coming through the system it's even less comparable.

If people in Western NY haven't given up on a 9+ year losing team already they are probably in it for the long haul at this point. With or without Eichel, that team is headed for the lottery. And with or without Eichel, the Pegulas will still continue to run that franchise ragged.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

As a Sabre fan.. wrong.

A lot of those 9 years were expected and accepted. The fan base grew restless when Jason Botterill nosedived the franchise in 3 seasons.

Reactions: seagull

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
As a Sabre fan.. wrong.

A lot of those 9 years were expected and accepted. The fan base grew restless when Jason Botterill nosedived the franchise in 3 seasons.
And do you think rookie GM Adams is gonna be any better, especially with this hands tied behind his back with a meddling management?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah Rangers Dolan is a lot different from Knicks Dolan, it's not the same. Rangers Dolan keeps he hands out of Rangers business, he just signs the checks. Pegula's wife is running the Sabres, who are on a current mandate to cut costs. That's gonna effect how you build a team that already needed a lot. Rangers in 2000 aren't comparable to these Sabres in any way. Rangers don't have a problem getting free agents, don't have an owner who is penny pinching, and don't have a rookie GM. Also, the two players who pulled the Rangers out of their 2000 doldrums were Jagr and Henrik, two future HOFers, and mostly Lundqvist. So unless there's a legendary goalie coming through the system it's even less comparable.

If people in Western NY haven't given up on a 9+ year losing team already they are probably in it for the long haul at this point. With or without Eichel, that team is headed for the lottery. And with or without Eichel, the Pegulas will still continue to run that franchise ragged.

The reports of penny pinching are a direct result of Covid 19 and are not surprising.

I doubt you will see penny pinching when it comes to on ice product... maybe on the business side of things but not on ice product.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
And do you think rookie GM Adams is gonna be any better, especially with this hands tied behind his back with a meddling management?

I have no idea what to expect from Adams. He is smart guy.. ill wait and see what he does before offering an opinion.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
The reports of penny pinching are a direct result of Covid 19 and are not surprising.

I doubt you will see penny pinching when it comes to on ice product... maybe on the business side of things but not on ice product.
I think that sounds like extremely wishful thinking. The business and the on ice stuff are always linked.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Well he already has been better....... took him a month to fill the biggest need in their lineup(2C) while also cutting cap and adding legitimate leadership to a locker room starving for some
Their 2C is gonna be 36 when the season starts and didn't want to be traded there. Eric Staal isn't going to be the move that turns the Sabres into a playoff team.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think that sounds like extremely wishful thinking. The business and the on ice stuff are always linked.

Pegulas have never had any problem spending money on the team. I've heard the reports but I'll believe it when I see it. Especially with the reports of Jack looking for assurances from ownership on their plan.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Their 2C is gonna be 36 when the season starts and didn't want to be traded there. Eric Staal isn't going to be the move that turns the Sabres into a playoff team.

Of course not... we have more than one hole in line up.. this move was a decent start tho.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
U have no idea if he wants to be there or not lmao. He has a relationship with Adams. And he may not be the sole reason, but in the locker room, behind the scenes, he’s a guy that can legitimately be a big part of changing the culture around the team, which generally results in winning more hockey games.

I do think they’re still a team on the outside looking in, but to say that wasn’t a positive move for the organization, I disagree with

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018

The Staal trade is a stop-gap for Cozens, but I didn't expect you to understand that with that comment. If Mittelstadt becomes anything it's just a bonus.

--

The people commenting on this thread -- if you think NYR and COL are the only teams that have the depth to acquire Eichel I could agree, but you aren't getting him for secondary pieces. It is going to hurt. Bad. Understand that and accept it. Especially so with a rookie GM who (if he has any intelligence) would not trade Eichel for anything but an absolute disgusting overpayment.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
idk seems a bit of a political back track. Why would people bother calling on him unless there was some indication he was available?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The Staal trade is a stop-gap for Cozens, but I didn't expect you to understand that with that comment. If Mittelstadt becomes anything it's just a bonus.

--

The people commenting on this thread -- if you think NYR and COL are the only teams that have the depth to acquire Eichel I could agree, but you aren't getting him for secondary pieces. It is going to hurt. Bad. Understand that and accept it. Especially so with a rookie GM who (if he has any intelligence) would not trade Eichel for anything but an absolute disgusting overpayment.

Good luck with that.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
idk seems a bit of a political back track. Why would people bother calling on him unless there was some indication he was available?
Because he’s a new gm. He does the round with them and vice versa and they ask each other the price of everything. He wouldn’t be doing his job if he didn’t get an idea of what Eichel would fetch just so if he ever has to he knows where it start.

Adams isn’t trading him. Not this year anyways. If they suck again and Jack pouts then maybe I suppose it’ll eventually happen.

This report meant nothing. 41 pages for nothing.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I know its unlikely but it would be amazing if he got traded. I just want chaos, tons of rumors with some credibility to them and star players traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad