Sweden
To San Jose Jack Eichel

To Buffalo Erik Karlsson William Eklund and Dylan Gambrell

Dahlin -Karlsson :nod:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
How close is Detroit to being ready to roll?
If Eichel will be off for the season, then a team that’s coming out of their rebuild, still having cap space, and ready to start their run is the likeliest option.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If Eichel will be off for the season, then a team that’s coming out of their rebuild, still having cap space, and ready to start their run is the likeliest option.
I'll do Larkin Bert and Ras for Eichel.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
No where near enough for Eichel.

This idea that Buffalo should just cave for the sake of everyone else's team is what drives most of us Sabres fans nutty. There will be compromise and that will likely include a blue chip prospect going to Buffalo. The draft picks will likely be conditioned but it will still cost high entry cost.
That why a package headlined by 1 of Lundkvist/Jones with a chytil/ kravtsov + Georgiev ( useful to Sabres but mainly cap) and a conditional 1st
Something along those lines would likely be the package going to Buff from a NYR perspective.
That’s with Dolan Ok on Eichel’s choice of ADR and the financial burden that’s held up a deal like this for 6 months already

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Hertl have 3 teams M-NTC...so he s not going to Buffalo

my gut tells me Hertl to Boston is not if but when. He’s absolutely a perfect fit for a Krecji replacement. They couldn’t have made up a better scenario for them.
SJ likely gets Studnicka/Beecher and 1st as a return, something along those lines
With a Hertl basically having an extension in place ready to sign before being traded. Similar to what Vegas did when they got Stone

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I’d say 2 maybe even 3 years before they are a consistent playoff threat.
Main guys like Raymond and Seider need 1-2 years of NHL duty under their belt.
By that time, Eichel’s deal is almost over.
I think if Larkin was traded to the Sabres, the chance of him signing a new deal with them in 2 years I’d next to 0

Vegas remains the perfect landing spot for Eichel. They have everything else already in place to compete, but would have to be compliant by next season if you figure they LTIR Eichel for most of the year. They also don’t have much to give Buffalo in the way of youth/control besides Krebs, and their GM already said he’s not available. So beyond a 3-team deal, I don’t know how he gets there.
Minn is in the same boat. Both need to send substantial cap out.
NYR remains 1 of the big 3 targets imo.
Calgary/CBJ/ANA remain dark horse candidates.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Tough to see a way this works for SJS. Karlsson, Burns, Couture, Kane, Vlasic, Jones, and Eichel would have a combined cap hit of 54+M, unless one of those players go back to BUF(which I can't see happening). All of those players are either done, regressing or about to regress. I think bringing in Eichel would be putting lipstick on a pig. SJS is better off going through a full rebuild, which will allow them to shed some salary and stock up on young talent. Adding Eichel would strip them of young, ELC talent.

I hate it when outsiders tell me that my team (MN), should go through a full rebuild, as I believe that tanking is overrated, and staying competitive is important to the health of a franchise, but SJS appears to be in a spot naturally where a bunch of factors have come together making a full rebuild the logical choice. They have been a really good team in the past, but things have gotten away from them recently, and some bad decisions made by the GM. Getting Eichel would be putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound. They can't afford to be losing Eklund, and one or two more top round(likely high) picks, or they will end up a poor man's Oilers.

Not that it changes things a lot, but I see Kane being terminated if this latest fake covid thing turns out to be true.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
my gut tells me Hertl to Boston is not if but when. He’s absolutely a perfect fit for a Krecji replacement. They couldn’t have made up a better scenario for them.
SJ likely gets Studnicka/Beecher and 1st as a return, something along those lines
With a Hertl basically having an extension in place ready to sign before being traded. Similar to what Vegas did when they got Stone
I think there's a big gap between Studnicka and Beecher (not at all a fan of Beecher). I think with an extension Studnicka a 1st + something else would be fair.

I'm absolutely certain that the B's have Hertl as a target right now and for next summer if it gets to that.

Last edited:

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
A conditional pick for sure. Probably something like Laf, Kakko, Lundqvist and a conditional 2nd round pick. Schnieder is probably untouchable. Smart move on the Rangers part to move Laf and Kakko while they still hold some value after a very disappointing season.

Delusional.

You guys should just keep him.

Oh..? What's that? You can't because you're no longer in control of the process? Interesting.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Have you seen SJS's lineup, and their cap hits? The only reason they haven't stuck out more is because LA and the Ducks also stink, but that situation is going to change in the future. The other two CA teams have some really nice young prospects. SJS must keep Eklund, and acquire more prospects/ELC's in order to merely keep pace.
SJ is in a strange position. As you point out they have those veteran players on steep contracts, do they just want to lay down all those years with Couture, Burns, Karlsson, Vlasic in the lineup? or do you try to ice a team that competes? As a fan of a team that tore it down to the studs only to be right back into the same situation half a decade later I'll tell ya I wouldn't be crying about giving up prospects and high picks for Jack Eichel. He's already a star player, he's young, and he has several years of term on his deal. The big caveat is how your doctors feel about his neck. If they forsee a good outcome from this surgery (and every study I've seen of both neck surgeries have had very favorable outcomes on the whole), this is easy money. It isn't without some risk, but my God people are downplaying just what a reward they'd get in Jack Eichel.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No where near enough for Eichel.

This idea that Buffalo should just cave for the sake of everyone else's team is what drives most of us Sabres fans nutty. There will be compromise and that will likely include a blue chip prospect going to Buffalo. The draft picks will likely be conditioned but it will still cost high entry cost.

You may be right, tho that will not come from NYR.
The issue for many is less value, but currency.
Blue chips, esp higher end ones, are so premium, I don't see most clubs forking one over.

A conditional pick for sure. Probably something like Laf, Kakko, Lundqvist and a conditional 2nd round pick. Schnieder is probably untouchable. Smart move on the Rangers part to move Laf and Kakko while they still hold some value after a very disappointing season.

bold: erroneous + non-starter
(again, do no want)
underline: Misinformed

Monahan or Strome don’t help the Sabres, the package still has to be built around futures. The team getting Eichel might need to move salary but the Sabres will want assets that make sense for them. It can always be a three-way deal like the 1st Duchene trade was with Turris going to Nashville.

Plus Monahan has a 10 team no trade list and Buffalo is probably on it.

Sabes may have to accept a 2 step process
1. a guy like Monahan [with adequate +, of course]
2. flip him for futures*
*presumably this is for highest bidder which logic suggests is when there is sufficient enough injury to a contender prompting if not forcing a win now stop gap gamble

I get Sabes prefer Monahan or similar be flipped already, but that is not likely to come with the territory.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Blue chips, esp higher end ones, are so premium, I don't see most clubs forking one over.
Clearly the Rangers just don’t have the assets to make a deal happen. They can sign Barkov as a UFA in 8 years.

(again, do no want)

2. flip him for futures*
*presumably this is for highest bidder which logic suggests is when there is sufficient enough injury to a contender prompting if not forcing a win now stop gap gamble

I get Sabes prefer Monahan or similar be flipped already, but that is not likely to come with the territory.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Sharks cant afford to move Eklund
I can see that being true for sure. But the other guy said he felt it in his bones that SJ would be getting Eichel, and I'm not sure there's a deal to be made without Eklund.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

(again, do no want)

2. flip him for futures*

A three way trade makes a lot more sense that “you do the flipping” for teams, just not in your fantasy trade head. Look at the first Duchene trade. I don’t know how else to explain that.

Also Monahan has a 10 team no trade list and Buffalo is likely on it.

D4ngleSZN

Sep 26, 2021
Love to see Jack a Hab. With Price and
Weber on LTIR does Jack fit under the cap?
Is Drouin included to help balance the cap ?
Are you trading Suzuki + Caulfield + 1st?
If you want to dump Drouin that's another 1st

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I can see that being true for sure. But the other guy said he felt it in his bones that SJ would be getting Eichel, and I'm not sure there's a deal to be made without Eklund.
There's not.

I think a healthy Eichel is a different argument with there is to much unknown for the Sharks to play this game right now. They have done a good job replenishing the pipeline so far. One more draft and they should be ok, though still lacking that elite talent.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I can't think of a worse place for Eichel than the Sharks. Y'all need to be tanking for Wright and Bedard ya heard?

Think of all the Great Wright Shark memes. It's incredible
All they need to do is lottery protect that first , LTIR eichel and bam, Wright/Eichel/Eukland as your new core. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad