Player Discussion Jack Campbell

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Campbell is a downgrade on Mike Smith ... trade him now in a Karlsson package if you can get it and run.

If we're going to pay 5 million for a goalie they need to be a legit no.1 guy that moves the needle, not just "well we can win if the team scores 5 goals in front of this guy".

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Campbell is a downgrade on Mike Smith ... trade him now in a Karlsson package if you can get it and run.

If we're going to pay 5 million for a goalie they need to be a legit no.1 guy that moves the needle, not just "well we can win if the team scores 5 goals in front of this guy".
Campbell is a downgrade on Mikko Koskinen, and a sizeable one at that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Campbell is a downgrade on Mikko Koskinen, and a sizeable one at that.

He's probably better than Mikko but not by much and not by enough that it makes sense to have him here for 5 per.

Skinner at 2.6 and get a cheap vet back up like a Reimer and get on with it. If this is what we get for 5 mill, it's simply not worth, that money could be used elsewhere on the roster.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
2.82 GAA .900 sv% in that time span

Considering the Oilers have the 3rd best expected goals against in the league over that time frame, that is embarrassing.

Make no mistake about it, the Oilers were winning games despite Campbells average goaltending during his little hot streak. And now that that average goaltending is back to miserable goaltending he's back to costing the team games.

Why embarrassing hes got 21 out of 24 points.

Like I said blame him on the last 2 games sure, then we expect perfect

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why embarrassing hes got 21 out of 24 points.

The team got 21 out of 24 points in a soft part of their schedule, that's all. Campbell is not worth his contract, he is a downgrade on Mike Smith for double the salary, if that's what he's bringing to the table then we should move him now if we can get the chance to do it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Oh right......... but the team doesnt deserve any blame tonight?
Sincerely no they don't.

Every goal in the 3rd was a bad goal.

1st goal he gets beat clean from a wrister from far out and is left staring at his blocker as if it somehow went through it
2nd goal he fails to try and cover the puck for some insane reason just repeatedly kicks at it
3rd goal he makes himself the size of a potato as yet another deflection whistles passed him

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Oh right......... but the team doesnt deserve any blame tonight?
The team had twice as many scoring chances as the other team and continued to carry the play for the most part even while Campbell was giving up 4 goals on 4 shots. I'll throw some shade at Yamamoto for his feeble breakaway attempt that could've made it 6-3 but hey their goalie made a save while ours, as usual, did not.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Sincerely no they don't.

1st goal he gets beat clean from a wrister from far out and is left staring at his blocker as if it somehow went through it
2nd goal he fails to try and cover the puck for some insane reason just repeatedly kicks at it
3rd goal he makes himself the size of a potato as yet another deflection whistles passed him
1st goal was against one of the most elite shots in the game.
2nd goal not a oiler player in sight for 5 seconds
3rd goal routine save until Nurse deflects it in with his shin pad.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
1st goal was against one of the most elite shots in the game.
2nd goal not a oiler player in sight for 5 seconds
3rd goal routine save until Nurse deflects it in with his shin pad.
lol 5 goals against on 13 shots in the final half of regulation

Reactions: Patch101

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How many games this year would you say we won because of Campbell? I’m guessing you don’t need more than one hand to count that.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Sincerely no they don't.

I'd seriously consider starting that kid from the Golden Bears on Tuesday, if Skinner is still not ready. Unless the kid has to study for an exam?

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Not his best performance, I agree, but there is bigger issues right now then the goaltending. His 1st real bad start since the new years.

This team has given up 6GA vs Montreal and Colorado, 5 GA against Detroit and Rangers in their last 4 games. Bigger problems right now then just Campbell considering he hasnt played all 4 games.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Trade him to San Jose for in a Karlsson deal. He's not a difference maker, if the Oilers need to score 5 goals for him to win, well you can find 20 different goalies that could do the same shit.
Who is your replacement and what’s the deal? You make it sound so easy GMSoundwave.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Not his best performance, I agree, but there is bigger issues right now then the goaltending. His 1st real bad start since the new years.

This team has given up 6GA vs Montreal and Colorado, 5 GA against Detroit and Rangers in their last 4 games. Bigger problems right now then just Campbell considering he hasnt played all 4 games.
He was considerably worse against Detroit. They barely had a scoring chance all night and got 5 goals. Well, 4, I guess, since that was a shootout.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Who is your replacement and what’s the deal? You make it sound so easy GMSoundwave.

Reimer from San Jose in a Karlsson package would be fine. And please spare me the bullshit about "oh noez he's not a sexy name like Campbell" ... Campbell's save percentage and GAA is worse.

If you're not going to be better than Mike Smith, then we don't need a 5 million dollar goalie. Spend that money somewhere else.

I've also crunched the numbers, having Karlsson even at like 8 million AND keeping Campbell becomes very difficult, it basically means you can't do anything with the rest of the roster even if you dump like Puljujarvi and Barrie and Foegele.

If you can get Karlsson, do it and Campbell goes the other way, it works far, far better salary wise long term as Campbell's contract runs the same length as Karlsson's.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Reimer from San Jose in a Karlsson package would be fine. And please spare me the bullshit about "oh noez he's not a sexy name like Campbell" ... Campbell's save percentage and GAA is worse.

If you're not going to be better than Mike Smith, then we don't need a 5 million dollar goalie. Spend that money somewhere else.

I've also crunched the numbers, having Karlsson even at like 8 million AND keeping Campbell becomes very difficult, it basically means you can't do anything with the rest of the roster even if you dump like Puljujarvi and Barrie and Foegele.

If you can get Karlsson, do it and Campbell goes the other way, it works far, far better salary wise long term as Campbell's contract runs the same length as Karlsson's.
So Reimer this year is 3.31 and .895 and Campbell is 3.31 and .888. So I will agree you shed cap if you move him, but you were pissing and moaning about performance of the position. How does this fix that?

Reactions: Oilhawks

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
literally any person who identifies as a hockey goalie is a suitable replacement for Jack Campbell

it amazes me when people would scoff at the idea of dumping Campbell and his 5M cap hit because 'who's gonna be the replacement?' f*** literally anyone lol give the cap space back

Reactions: Patch101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad