Player Discussion Jack Campbell

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would trade him to San Jose in a Karlsson deal if it's possible. It makes the cap situation much more workable, and he's played better of late, but really who here thinks this is the guy who can take the Oilers to the promised land? If he's not you're just better off cap wise getting about the same level of play from Skinner (or better) and having a cheaper veteran 1B like Reimer.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I would trade him to San Jose in a Karlsson deal if it's possible. It makes the cap situation much more workable, and he's played better of late, but really who here thinks this is the guy who can take the Oilers to the promised land? If he's not you're just better off cap wise getting about the same level of play from Skinner (or better) and having a cheaper veteran 1B like Reimer.

Easily if we could.

I don't like his fundamentals at all... his five hole is visibly leaky... it's like he can't even hold a basic butterfly. That's strange to see at the NHL level. As soon as he's lifting a leg to edge, or to scramble or readjust or whatever... BOTH legs lose the seal. Normally the weight bearing leg would stay flush/sealed on ice.

That said, he makes up for some of that with great agility. Better than most we've had...

... but overall I feel like:
1) He's a guy you figure out quickly... just wait for him to open a hole (big pressure on our D to ensure shooters are always pressured... and we ain't good at that)
2) We've already seen some pretty shaky confidence... that doesn't bode well

Can't see why SJ would take him on though. Barrie is $4.5M for one season until the deadline, then he's worth at least a 2nd. Campbell has another 3 years after that and they already have Kahkonen and some other young goalies.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
He’s had his shit together the last 10 games
9-0-1

Let’s hope the trend continues
8-1-1:sarcasm:

Even at that, my concern is that 4 of those games he was under .900 and 2 of the games he played .900 and .903, noting really to ride home about. But yeah I agree as long as he's giving the team a chance to win, let's hope

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
One bad game this thread turns into a war zone

He hasn't earned himself the benefit of the doubt from the fan base after how bad of a start he had, it's like c'mon due, 1 bad goal OK, but like 3 or 4 in a game against a team we outshoot 2-1?

That's just pure tanking it. He made a big save in the 3rd so kudos to that, but c'mon dude.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
8-1-1:sarcasm:

Even at that, my concern is that 4 of those games he was under .900 and 2 of the games he played .900 and .903, noting really to ride home about. But yeah I agree as long as he's giving the team a chance to win, let's hope
If 9-0-1 in last 10 starts since new years. His 1L is from the LA game Skinner got pulled 30 mins into the game.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He let in a couple questionable ones in the first. And how did the rest of the team respond? Nothing in the first at all.

Still on that lonely soapbox, are we?:laugh:

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
f***ing losers.. struggling so hard with detroit twice and philly and getting schooled my montreal. This f***ing team needs to smarten the f*** up and take a look in the mirror if they even want to make the playoffs. ASSHOLES

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
If 9-0-1 in last 10 starts since new years. His 1L is from the LA game Skinner got pulled 30 mins into the game.
I understood them shaking off rust at first but they had the easiest f***ing teams to make up points and they have f***ing failed miserably. I don't care about the last 10-20 games, show me what's going on now.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I understood them shaking off rust at first but they had the easiest f***ing teams to make up points and they have f***ing failed miserably. I don't care about the last 10-20 games, show me what's going on now.
Like I said Campbell which this thread is about…… has picked out 19 out of 20 points since the new year, including recently.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He let in a couple questionable ones in the first. And how did the rest of the team respond? Nothing in the first at all.

Still on that lonely soapbox, are we?:laugh:

I was on a lonely soap box last year when I said they should trade Kassian for Evander Kane (this is before the media jumped on the idea of adding Kane), in the long run that would've been a way better move as we would have gotten Kane for cheaper. But lots of people here said "no way, that's a crazy idea!" ... but then we ended up adding him anyway and then re-signing him to a contract with longer term while having to pay a pick to get rid of Kassian.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
He is not a bad goalie but he is very streaky af. Don’t ever know which one is going to show up good soup or bad.

I wouldn't call him a good goalie either. Even during his stretch where everyone was pumping him up his save percentage wasn't anything great. He still has one of the worst save percentages out of all the starters in the NHL but I guess he is a super nice guy I keep hearing
I hated Mike Smith but he was a better goalie. I wouldn't want Smith back either though

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I was on a lonely soap box last year when I said they should trade Kassian for Evander Kane (this is before the media jumped on the idea of adding Kane), in the long run that would've been a way better move as we would have gotten Kane for cheaper. But lots of people here said "no way, that's a crazy idea!" ... but then we ended up adding him anyway and then re-signing him to a contract with longer term while having to pay a pick to get rid of Kassian.
IF and it's a big IF, San Jose would have agree taking on Kassian for Kane, you can bet we would have had to add as well. And there's no telling what the term might have been. We may have been on the hook for a 7 million dollar contract for multiple years. Not sure how that's better than 5 mill. At any rate, it never happened, so that's that. Now....back on your lonely soapbox.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Look at aggregate save %.
giphy.gif

Reactions: TB12

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
This is all you got? No response just some gif because you can’t handle stats?
I am very aware soup was pathetic in 2022. I’m hoping 2023 continues to be mostly different. My point is he just had a very good stretch and then has a bad (terrible) game and everyone goes off the ledge.

I’m always down to be enlightened though. Do the advanced stats say he has not been good in 2023?

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I wouldn't call him a good goalie either. Even during his stretch where everyone was pumping him up his save percentage wasn't anything great. He still has one of the worst save percentages out of all the starters in the NHL but I guess he is a super nice guy I keep hearing
I hated Mike Smith but he was a better goalie. I wouldn't want Smith back either though
People legit celebrating his 0.906 these past 10 games as if he's been Haseking it up says it all. Expectations have gotten so low from October/November that anything above 0.900 is a godsend.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I am very aware soup was pathetic in 2022. I’m hoping 2023 continues to be mostly different. My point is he just had a very good stretch and then has a bad (terrible) game and everyone goes off the ledge.

I’m always down to be enlightened though. Do the advanced stats say he has not been good in 2023?
I'm using stats based on natural stat trick xGA models filtered from January 1 since it's the most publicly accessible. When Jack Campbell has been on the ice at even strength, the Oilers have conceded 18.86 xGA while he's let in 21 goals. At all strengths, the Oilers have conceded 25.76 xGA while allowing 27 goals. So he's still slightly below average among NHL goalies for GSAx and well below average among starters. That being said, pre December 31, he was fighting for dead last in the NHL for GSAx rates, so it is getting better. Nowhere near good enough for a 5 million dollar goalie yet though.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I'm using stats based on natural stat trick xGA models filtered from January 1 since it's the most publicly accessible. When Jack Campbell has been on the ice at even strength, the Oilers have conceded 18.86 xGA while he's let in 21 goals. At all strengths, the Oilers have conceded 25.76 xGA while allowing 27 goals. So he's still slightly below average among NHL goalies for GSAx and well below average among starters. That being said, pre December 31, he was fighting for dead last in the NHL for GSAx rates, so it is getting better. Nowhere near good enough for a 5 million dollar goalie yet though.
Very interesting. Thanks!

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
It’s a step in the right direction. No one thinks he’s been great. He has been good enough to get us wins lately and we should be some what happy with that. (Not over the moon)

At the beginning of the season it was an auto L with him in net.

Hopefully he continues to get better.
Yeah I'll definitely take "slightly below average" over whatever the hell was going on the first 2 months of the season, hopefully it'll jump up to average or maybe even above average by the end of the year. I personally don't really look at win loss record much with goalies. Just this past week alone, we saw Skinner put up a 35 save in 36 shots performance in a massive duel vs Carter Hart while the skaters got outplayed in a shootout loss. Meanwhile we have Campbell allowing 4 goals on his first 12 shots faced and single handedly get Detroit to overtime while our skaters completely oppressed Detroit's skaters every line, every pairing, every period, every situation. But the record sheet records a shootout loss for both players despite the story being clearly different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad