Player Discussion Jack Campbell

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Giving up goals on the first 2 shots you see, then the first shot of your 2nd period in a new uniform, will play with your head but it looks like his confidence is finally returning. His last 5 games he's starting to look like the player we thought we were getting after that rough start.

1 thing that concerns me, other than losing confidence for long stretches again, is how many pucks seem to just go thru his glove. Last night was the 3rd such shot that seemed to hit him square in the glove & not only went in but barely got slowed down, leaving him looking at his glove in bewilderment. I thought it was equipment related after the first 2 but he's changed out all his equipment, including gloves, & the problem persists. I don't think I've seen that happen to the same guy 3 times in a couple months so hopefully this doesn't shake his confidence again because, with Skinner struggling some, we need him.

If we can get competent goaltending at the cost of the 2 guys we have now, we'll be just fine moving forward. If not, we'll be looking for a new coach who can also somehow stop pucks.

Discuss?

• Haha
Reactions: Zur En Arrh

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Over each goalie's last 10 appearances, they are pretty darn close for Save Percentage and Goals Saved above Average (separated entirely by either one of the two goals that Campbell caught but still let in). However, Campbell is facing much less shots against.

Campbell is saving a higher percentage of high danger shots, but also facing much less of them. Skinner faces a quite a bit more rebound shots while facing virtually the same amount of rush attempts against, which suggests he may be elevating the shot share and HD shot share a little bit on his own.

On the other hand at 5 on 5 Skinner has put up much better numbers than Campbell and considering he got lit up on the PK in LA for 3GA, perhaps the gap is only closed because of that one really bad PK game by the team.

Ultimately, I'd have to say good job on his teammates as I think they've played pretty decently in front of him and now he's settling into being an NHL goalie that can at least deliver league average goaltending. Hopefully he keeps it up or even improves.

For now, it appears we have two goalies that can deliver well enough to not outright lose a game. Let's hope they both keep it up.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Over each goalie's last 10 appearances, they are pretty darn close for Save Percentage and Goals Saved above Average (separated entirely by either one of the two goals that Campbell caught but still let in). However, Campbell is facing much less shots against.

Campbell is saving a higher percentage of high danger shots, but also facing much less of them. Skinner faces a quite a bit more rebound shots while facing virtually the same amount of rush attempts against, which suggests he may be elevating the shot share and HD shot share a little bit on his own.

On the other hand at 5 on 5 Skinner has put up much better numbers than Campbell and considering he got lit up on the PK in LA for 3GA, perhaps the gap is only closed because of that one really bad PK game by the team.

Ultimately, I'd have to say good job on his teammates as I think they've played pretty decently in front of him and now he's settling into being an NHL goalie that can at least deliver league average goaltending. Hopefully he keeps it up or even improves.

For now, it appears we have two goalies that can deliver well enough to not outright lose a game. Let's hope they both keep it up.

Skinner facing more rebound shots isn’t a surprise, his rebound control sucks

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
As long as Soup let's us score a few goals first, he can let in a 1 or 2 softies here and there

Reactions: LTIR

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Campbell has looked great of late but can he be trusted to make all routine saves with a playoffs series on the line?

The bed has been made for the next few yrs so hopefully he keeps improving

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Giving up goals on the first 2 shots you see, then the first shot of your 2nd period in a new uniform, will play with your head but it looks like his confidence is finally returning. His last 5 games he's starting to look like the player we thought we were getting after that rough start.

1 thing that concerns me, other than losing confidence for long stretches again, is how many pucks seem to just go thru his glove. Last night was the 3rd such shot that seemed to hit him square in the glove & not only went in but barely got slowed down, leaving him looking at his glove in bewilderment. I thought it was equipment related after the first 2 but he's changed out all his equipment, including gloves, & the problem persists. I don't think I've seen that happen to the same guy 3 times in a couple months so hopefully this doesn't shake his confidence again because, with Skinner struggling some, we need him.

If we can get competent goaltending at the cost of the 2 guys we have now, we'll be just fine moving forward. If not, we'll be looking for a new coach who can also somehow stop pucks.

Discuss?
The puck seemed to just skim his glove and go up just enough not to hit the bar. I know it's easy to think it was a bad sign but imo it was just a crazy good and lucky shot. Most goalies leave holes to shoot at but they are just small like that.

Even then, what defines a good goalie is the amount of errors like that. Overall, Campbell played great and that's all that matters. If there is a problem in his game it would be exploited and the stats will sink.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sometimes I wonder just exactly how soft goals are.

Like we've talked about this for years on here. It's as if the goalies we have/had if they got rid of the soft goals that they'd be future hall of famers. Something tells me what fans deem soft goals for their team happen accross the league.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

Discuss?
It wasn’t publicly reported but I believe Campbell was actually using his old glove in the Kraken game until that second goal. He switched to the new one after letting it in.

Let’s hope he sticks with that one

Reactions: ujju2

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Like we've talked about this for years on here. It's as if the goalies we have/had if they got rid of the soft goals that they'd be future hall of famers. Something tells me what fans deem soft goals for their team happen accross the league.

I watched part of Ottawa Pittsburgh last night. Talbot let in almost the identical goal to Campbell's softie against the Kraken.

Reactions: joestevens29

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Sometimes I wonder just exactly how soft goals are.

100% it is. Same as the constant complaint people have that every few games our goalie seems to let in a goal on the first few shots. It’s just basic statistics that that’s going to happen with every goalie. If you let in a goal every 11 shots or so, that means you should be letting in a goal on the first 3 shots every 3 or 4 games.

Reactions: joestevens29

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
It wasn’t publicly reported but I believe Campbell was actually using his old glove in the Kraken game until that second goal. He switched to the new one after letting it in.

Let’s hope he sticks with that one
Unless he came out for the 3rd with his old glove, this is not true because when Jack & Louie were talking about his new equipment in the 2nd the camera did some close-ups of his glove & it was definitely the new one.

edit: just looked at the replay & it's definitely the new glove.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I watched part of Ottawa Pittsburgh last night. Talbot let in almost the identical goal to Campbell's softie against the Kraken.

That was a bad goal for Talbot IMO but it's quite a bit different than the ones I'm talking about with Campbell.

The Campbell goals have all been from the top of the circle(about the same spot as Dunn's goal) where he's set, with his glove up & in perfect position, not fooled at all & just waiting for the puck to hit his glove. All 3 shots looked like they hit him right in the webbing of his glove & the tip bent backwards & the puck kept going & into the net & not just trickling in either.

He then looks at his glove like he's thinking it must have gone through his glove or something. As I said above, the last 1 was his new glove so this has to be an issue with the angle of his glove or something else that he & Dustin better get sorted out.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Well, if this change doesn't work, then he'll have to have his hand replaced with something that provides more stability. The Chubbs Peterson solution.

1674158727075.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad