Speculation: Ivan Provorov Trade Discourse

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
There's literally nothing more political than the military. It's part of the government and its members who are injured or killed have been put in harm's way by politicians. Typically they are brought out for public celebration as a means of shifting focus away from the cowardice that put them in peril and towards the courage they showed once there. It's the most political thing imaginable. So, if you don't want anything vaguely political in your sports, you better f***ing start there.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
So anyway can we get to the important topic of how much cheese the Grateful Dead likes to eat per year?
Grateful Dead The Old Cheese Factory - November 12, 1966

0630ab8b8becd6df38931e5c8ac8c3c9.jpeg

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Lol @ Winnipeg hate being the line.

I know a nurse there in case my little friend wonders what my source is. I talk to him from time to time.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Nah the page just doesn’t load then. This is just random and lasts however long it wants to.

We all asked for thr mods to put a post count limitation on your account.

A) we don't want to hear from you that often
B) we can't have you inflating your post count, because apparently your post count dictates your credibility here (hint: take a look at @Striiker numbers. We're all f***ed).

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
So if my hospital had a pride today or whatever, and I came in but didn’t want to put on a tye dye shirt I should be fired, and I’m a bigot? Because the assumption is I don’t support gay rights if I choose to not wear it?

Yeaaaahhhh. Not all change, is good change - and this is taking it a little far imo.
I can be fired for not wearing my uniform, for wearing my uniform incorrectly, for hisplsying unothorized, or for being unshaven or allowing my hair to grow past my ears.

Being fired for not adhering to a uniform standard happens all the time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
choose to be persecuted? So they love someone of the same sex is choosing to be persecuted? Heart wants what the heart wants.

It is a choice. Nah not for all.

Here's the actual study

Not as simple as the NPR article suggests. Which is why I never trust popular interpretations of scientific articles.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
it is a choice. Except it get over it and move on.
"Moreover, the researchers found that sexuality is polygenic — meaning hundreds or even thousands of genes make tiny contributions to the trait. That pattern is similar to other heritable (but complex) characteristics like height or a proclivity toward trying new things. (Things like red/green colorblindness, freckles and dimples can be traced back to single genes). But polygenic traits can be strongly influenced by the environment, meaning there’s no clear winner in this “nature versus nurture” debate."

This is also from the article you posted. The title of that article isn't about genes not playing a role, but rather that one single gene doesn't turn the switch off and on. It's stating that both genetic and environmental factors play into human sexuality. And no, choice is not the singular environmental factor being referenced but rather a confluence of social and societal interactions.

If you'd like some good reading on examining this, please see: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1529100616637616

The thrust of the article is as follows and I think #2 is particularly germane to this line of discussion:

With respect to scientific and social policy, we offer three general conclusions:
1. Scientifically, sexual orientation is an important, fundamental trait that has been understudied because it is politically controversial. This is a mistake. In fact, the more politically controversial a topic, the more it is in the public interest to illuminate it in a revealing and unbiased manner. Our article is offered in the spirit of progress toward that end.

2. Scientists, activists, and policy makers should reason more carefully regarding potential ethical or policy implications of scientific findings. For example, the issue of whether sexual orientation is chosen represents intellectual confusion, and no scientific finding will illuminate this issue in any interesting way. Although clumsy reasoning may advantage a particular political position in the short term, in the long term, clear thinking is best for everyone.

3. The most common meaningful controversy across time and place has concerned the extent to which homosexuality is socially influenced and, more specifically, whether or not it spreads as a result of contagion and social tolerance. There is no good evidence that either increases the rate of homosexual orientation, although tolerance may facilitate behavioral expression of homosexual desire. Suppressing homosexual behavior imposes an immense burden on homosexually oriented people and serves no apparent legitimate social goal that cannot be reached in other ways.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Good job keeping the discussion going instead of running and hiding like the main board does on so many issues.
I mean I think it could wind up locked at some point, but to at least attempt to be 'fair' to the main board mods there was a helluva lot more directed anti-lgbtq themed posts taking place there.

Whenever there's an issue like this, or race, or sexual assault it brings out the real dregs to main board topics.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Provorov isn't as bad as Sebastian Bach though. I can post the picture if I won't get banned,

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I mean I think it could wind up locked at some point, but to at least attempt to be 'fair' to the main board mods there was a helluva lot more directed anti-lgbtq themed posts taking place there.

Whenever there's an issue like this, or race, or sexual assault it brings out the real dregs to main board topics.

The main boards are a cesspool.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
He is protected by his union and nothing more, and that is only to make sure he gets paid, not even to keep him working.
That is not necessarily true. There may be federal constitutional protections.

But I’m not getting into that. It takes this down a rabbit hole that misses the main point.

Provorov said he respects the LGBTQ community’s choices. Provorov did not bash or discriminate. He simply declined to participate in a promotion/celebration of their socio-political cause. That isn’t hate. I’ll leave it at that.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Wonder how many of the guys in the room feel ok with what he did and said last night? I’m sure that some of the players have friends and relatives that are LGBTQ. Can’t see his act going down easy with them. Sometimes for tranquility’s sake it’s best to shut up and go with the flow. Doing what Provorov did last night would make me a bit uneasy about having him for a teammate. Are they going to have his back if he doesn’t have theirs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad