Speculation: IV. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Declaration of Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Sounds to me like they're more than willing to take the chance on Glennie going through waivers.

I'm hoping they go the Connauton/Benn route with the contract because that's exactly the impression I got as well.

Primetimey*

I think you guys are a little high on Glennie. A team would need to claim him, and keep him in the NHL the entire year... unlikely.

Some team might take a flyer on him but I see him going back on waivers a month later and back to Texas.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I doubt it. Winnipeg or Vancouver immediately come to mind. He could easily play in their Bottom 6.

His defensive play has been rock solid in Texas for 2 years. His offensive game though is still developing. I'm OK with the fact he likely tops out at Nystrom ... but he's defensive game is pretty much NHL ready, and I think he could stick pretty easily with several of the bottom teams.

It's not the end of the world if you lost him, but ... just my opinion ... him walking for nothing would be a much bigger travesty than B.J. Crombeen. You've got a cost effective depth, PKer at bare minimum for 4 more years. That's extremely valuable with Dallas potentially spending closer to the cap ... especially if they manage to land the elusive top pair D.

No one is viewing this guy through rose pedal glasses and seeing the 8th overall pick on this board.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Calgary, Arizona, Nashville, Ottawa, Carolina, NJ

There's a ton of teams who have terrible forward cores who would take a chance on him. What's the worst that happens? They put him back on waivers. It costs them nothing to try and his playoff run with the Texas Stars would get him a shot somewhere unless Nill structures the the contract so much that they're on the hook for 3 years on a one way deal, which shouldn't happen.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Somebody is going to have to get traded if Ritchie makes the team and Peverley is healthy enough to play again.

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Ritchie-Spezza-Hemsky
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
Cole-Fiddler-Peverley
Sceviour-Horcoff-Eaves
Glennie

Goligoski-Daley
Dillon-Connauton
Nemeth/Oleksiak/Klingberg-Benn
Gonchar

Lehtonen
Lindback

Even if you are sending back Ritchie and Peverley can't play, you are healthy scratching 2 of Cole, Sceviour, Horcoff, Eaves, Glennie every night. That's pretty insane depth. Any of those guys in their current state would have been regular players with no chance of being bumped out of the line up 3 seasons ago.

This creates a potential issue that we haven't seen in a long time in Dallas. A player being in the coach's doghouse. We haven't been deep enough to bench a guy with talent because the coach doesn't like him in a long time.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Somebody is going to have to get traded if Ritchie makes the team and Peverley is healthy enough to play again.

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Ritchie-Spezza-Hemsky
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
Cole-Fiddler-Peverley
Sceviour-Horcoff-Eaves
Glennie

Goligoski-Daley
Dillon-Connauton
Nemeth/Oleksiak/Klingberg-Benn
Gonchar

Lehtonen
Lindback

Even if you are sending back Ritchie and Peverley can't play, you are healthy scratching 2 of Cole, Sceviour, Horcoff, Eaves, Glennie every night. That's pretty insane depth. Any of those guys in their current state would have been regular players with no chance of being bumped out of the line up 3 seasons ago.

This creates a potential issue that we haven't seen in a long time in Dallas. A player being in the coach's doghouse. We haven't been deep enough to bench a guy with talent because the coach doesn't like him in a long time.

Also known as The Brunnstrom Conundrum. :sarcasm:

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I'm still hoping we can get rid of Cole somehow, but if he is here next year and plays poorly I will be very disappointed if he doesn't catch some healthy scratches. I'm all for depth and bringing in veterans on good deals (Fiddler and Eaves) but the rules have to be the same for everybody, you're either helping the team or sitting watching another guy try to help the team.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah I don't see Gonchar or Cole getting a veteran pass anymore.

If Nill can shave off about a $1 million from my hopefully worst case scenario RFA contracts .... they probably won't be forced to move anyone. I think they'd try ... Gonchar ... but why the hell would a contender want him?

He has a NMC until January. You could easily be stuck with him.

Unless Cole just blows it ... I'm getting the feeling he's penciled in ... hopefully lightly ... into the Top 6.

Even with Pevs healthy they might be OK with the cap.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Kevin Hayes

Drafted in the first round in 2010 by Chicago. He's chosen to not sign with that organization.

Because he played in college though, his rights do not expire until August 15th.

Many believe Florida (His brother plays there) and Calgary (his former linemate plays there) have the best chance to sign him. Those two also have a much easier path to the NHL ... can likely virtually guarantee him NHL time.

I want to see one more piece of magic from Jim Nill this summer.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I assume we wont have the cap to go out looking for D this offseason, but say we move Cole or Gonchar and Pevs goes on LTIR, is this (depending on value for each) a good list of guys we could go after? I cherry picked mostly guys who had one year left on their contract and werent massive names that would cost much in terms of assets.

Boychuck
Campbell
Del Zotto
Greene
Zidlicky
Visnovsky
M.Staal
M. Methot
Timonen
Martin
Gardiner
Franson
Bieksa
Hamhuis
Green

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/general-manager-dallas-stars-jim-nill-detroit-sepzza-hemsky-seguin-qa/

If Nill wasn't able to get the center he wanted, sounds like Benn was a serious candidate to go back to center.

We knew we had to address that hole in our lineup when I came in here last year. If I didn’t get Spezza, we had to turn to another option. We had Jamie Benn playing centre because we had no other options. It was a hole to get filled, and it turned out well to get Jason Spezza.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He talks about last year and this year in the same quote. I can't tell if he's saying we had Benn at center ... talking about 2013 before he got here OR is he talking about we had Benn at center ... right now on our board until we landed Spezza.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
He really must not consider Eakin #2 material at all. I still expect Eakin to put up #2 numbers as he matures. Seeing the Benn/Seguin chemistry split up for the sake of center depth would've been a painful backup plan to take.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
At the risk of further frustrating those who feel more work needs to be done on the blueline, they should totally do that, just to troll the league. :laugh:

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
I want no part of Heatley, he can't skate anymore and he isn't putting the puck in the net like he used too. No thanks.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He really must not consider Eakin #2 material at all. I still expect Eakin to put up #2 numbers as he matures. Seeing the Benn/Seguin chemistry split up for the sake of center depth would've been a painful backup plan to take.

Alright I feel better someone else took it that way as well. I felt like he was saying Benn already demonstrated he could play center, and he's the 2nd line center without Spezza or another option.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Alright I feel better someone else took it that way as well. I felt like he was saying Benn already demonstrated he could play center, and he's the 2nd line center without Spezza or another option.

I've read it over and over and I still can't make heads or tails of what he's saying. The way he worded it makes it impossible to know for sure.

I mentioned at least a month ago that Benn back to center could be an option. I know a lot of people consider Benn just a winger but I thought he had some great games as a center, and he has since fixed the major issue that dogged him while he was actually a center - faceoffs. Obviously, the team is better off having added Spezza, but I wouldn't have worried if we had gone back to Benn at center and addressed scoring depth by adding Hemsky and another winger.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Hey guys,

I wanted to hear what you think the value of Alex Goligoski is... I'm asking for a friend... or something like that.

I didn't want to go to the main board and propose something because I'm going to get the automatic response that he was traded for James Neal, so they need that type of return.

That being said, it seems like you are set up front in your top 6 and possibly even the bottom six as well.

What type of return would you be looking for and happy with?

MetalGodAOD*

From Toronto? I'm sure a trade could be made around Franson+. I doubt the organization feels the same way HF does.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Hey guys,

I wanted to hear what you think the value of Alex Goligoski is... I'm asking for a friend... or something like that.

I didn't want to go to the main board and propose something because I'm going to get the automatic response that he was traded for James Neal, so they need that type of return.

That being said, it seems like you are set up front in your top 6 and possibly even the bottom six as well.

What type of return would you be looking for and happy with?

He's consistently top 20 in defenseman scoring, and things are looking pretty good over here right now up front and in net while the blue line needs some work. A physical righty who can pick up his minutes would be necessary, also it being $ neutral at least for us.

Brand New Stars

No point in getting rid of him unless it's in a package for a #1 dman now that the team has a 2nd line center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad