Speculation: IV. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Declaration of Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Man, look at the Perds go after Centermen. Surprised they weren't all in on Fidds.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I love that Jokinen really isn't even the best option. It's either Grabovski or Legwand ... and they can't go back to Legwand really after saying they were done with him.

Jokinen and Neal are two shooters that don't tend to use their teammates all that well. They're shoot first.

They could still end up with Grabovski which I don't think would be bad.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Is it me or does Spezza have a freakishly long thumb in that picture?

Also, LOL @ the Mississauga Ice Dogs.....Cherry's first foray into team management and it was a colossal failure. :laugh:

NukeJukes43

Anyone wanna try and take a stab on what's going on with our forwards if we're "pursuing" fiddler? Who's the odd man out? Cole? Horcoff? Some fans are starting to sweat on it having to do with RFA talks going sour but that's highly unlikely in my eyes.

MetalGodAOD*

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 4m

Nill: We're going to add one more strong depth, character player. Then we're pretty well set. #Stars

Ali wasn't wrong :sarcasm:

Caseman

Jan 23, 2008
San Jose, CA
Kinda disappointed there's no immediate help for this defense, but I guess patience is better than forcing a signing/trade. We have plenty of assets to pick up a defenseman later if Nill believes it's worth it.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Kinda disappointed there's no immediate help for this defense, but I guess patience is better than forcing a signing/trade. We have plenty of assets to pick up a defenseman later if Nill believes it's worth it.

I've come to accept he truly believes they're ready, and like you said we have assets to react if they don't impress.

I still have some hope they could possibly snag one of these non-qualified guys like Del Zotto or McBain for cheap, cheap to replace Gonchar. Still same competition at camp ... but it's all young players with upside.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Like I said on DBD I find it very odd that he's so bullish on the young defenders but has basically done everything he can to block the young wingers for at least another year. Anyone got a clue why?

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
Like I said on DBD I find it very odd that he's so bullish on the young defenders but has basically done everything he can to block the young wingers for at least another year. Anyone got a clue why?

I'd say it has to do something with the cost of the type of defenseman we would need. Nobody on the free agent market was much better than who we had (not saying Stralman or Erhoff wouldn't have been nice but they really the only ones) and nobody is trading the type of defenseman we would need either. We have a bunch of 3-4 type guys and that was what was out there. Let hope some of our talent grows into some 1-2 type guys.

tl;dr
The cost is much higher for what we need IMO

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
it could be that the defense prospects have more professional experience. oleksiak and nemeth have been in austin for 2 years. klingberg and jokipakka have played top euro for years also, with jokipakka having 1 year in austin, too.

most of the forward guys we've been discussing around here have been in austin for just 1 full season.

couple this with it being relatively easier to get forwards than defensemen in free agency.

that's my stab at it.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
From Mark...

Asked Stars GM Jim Nill where prospects like Brett Ritchie, Scott Glennie, Curtis McKenzie fit right now: “They are all in the mix. There can always be injuries. You start the season with what you think is your team and it can change awfully quick with one or two injuries. The door is open. I am excited about the competition. I want everybody to come into training camp to show what they can do. There are going to be openings and there are going to be injuries. It’s a long year and it’s a battle. I just want everyone to know to come in and do what you are supposed to do.”

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s2bfrr

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

The simple answer is probably he believes the D is ready, and he's not ready for the forwards yet.

A 1 and 2 year contract isn't blocking anyone from developing. That's a pretty extreme stance.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This comment makes me think Ritchie has very small, outside chance in the Top 6 ...

Also get the uneasy feeling they'll try to sneak Glennie through waivers ... which in the end could be good for him. It's a terrible decision though if he doesn't clear. Seems like they'll have to do the 3 year structure and pray to hope it works ... who knows.

Asked Stars GM Jim Nill where prospects like Brett Ritchie, Scott Glennie, Curtis McKenzie fit right now: “They are all in the mix. There can always be injuries. You start the season with what you think is your team and it can change awfully quick with one or two injuries. The door is open. I am excited about the competition. I want everybody to come into training camp to show what they can do. There are going to be openings and there are going to be injuries. It’s a long year and it’s a battle. I just want everyone to know to come in and do what you are supposed to do.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad