Speculation: IV. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Declaration of Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
So I started watching highlight videos of our recent acquisitions and I stumbled across this:

Good God damn, that line is amazing. It's just nice seeing their magic assembled in one nice little 10 minute video. Is it October yet?

I miss Ralph and Razor.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I want Dallas to add a defender as much as everyone else, and yes in the past 12 hours or so I've been pimping just trusting Nill and rolling with the kids.

Maybe this is just an excuse, but I had a thought ...

Jokipakka, Klingberg, Nemeth and Oleksiak all have only 1 year of waiver eligibility remaining. You have to make a decision on these players right now. Only Jokipakka has remotely any chance of clearing waivers in 2015-16, and even that is questionable.

I think it's safe to say one of these guys won't be with the team next season, and IMO that's likely Jokipakka. There's a better than average chance Klingberg, Nemeth, and Oleksiak will be one of 7 or 8 defenders on the team in 2015-16.

If you risk potentially not starting as strong as possible by adding a big defender right now ... it could pay off significantly later int eh season and for sure in 2015.

Just another thought.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
I want Dallas to add a defender as much as everyone else, and yes in the past 12 hours or so I've been pimping just trusting Nill and rolling with the kids.

Maybe this is just an excuse, but I had a thought ...

Jokipakka, Klingberg, Nemeth and Oleksiak all have only 1 year of waiver eligibility remaining. You have to make a decision on these players right now. Only Jokipakka has remotely any chance of clearing waivers in 2015-16, and even that is questionable.

I think it's safe to say one of these guys won't be with the team next season, and IMO that's likely Jokipakka. There's a better than average chance Klingberg, Nemeth, and Oleksiak will be one of 7 or 8 defenders on the team in 2015-16.

If you risk potentially not starting as strong as possible by adding a big defender right now ... it could pay off significantly later int eh season and for sure in 2015.

Just another thought.

I always though Jokipakka was more on the fringe than the others. He's a little older and rawer. I can see him being thrown in as part of trade deal similar to Fraser, Morrow, Guptill, etc.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I always though Jokipakka was more on the fringe than the others. He's a little older and rawer. I can see him being thrown in as part of trade deal similar to Fraser, Morrow, Guptill, etc.

I think we're probably at least 2 years away ... but one of Eakin or Faksa could be a big piece for a big defender. Jokipakka would probably be a perfect throw in like you said, but I have some doubts he'll still be here.

Maybe he could go for a D at the deadline if the young guys aren't ready or Dallas is dealing with some injuries.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
He might be a guy you try to flip at the next draft for a trade up or a pick to a team looking for help now as opposed to 4 years down the line. Dallas will have plenty of defense options and could want more picks in a deep draft to restock their forward prospects.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Jim Nill has a tough stance on NTC.

Basically said he doesn't want to give them out, and I don't like them. Sometimes you have to give them out.

In his opinion ... if you play well ... that's the NTC. I won't trade you. If you're not playing well, you probably want to get drafted.

I was wondering a bit if his relationship with Horcoff might make him not trade him .... zero concern about that.

He's no nonsense and all he wants to win.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Jim Nill has a tough stance on NTC.

Basically said he doesn't want to give them out, and I don't like them. Sometimes you have to give them out.

In his opinion ... if you play well ... that's the NTC. I won't trade you. If you're not playing well, you probably want to get drafted.

I was wondering a bit if his relationship with Horcoff might make him not trade him .... zero concern about that.

He's no nonsense and all he wants to win.

I could listen to Jim Nill podcasts all day.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
State of Hockey ‏@Stars_Insider

I did some poking around, and despite some of the rumor mills out there, "not very much interest" in Gonchar.

Shocked ....

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
I'm almost intrigued to sell him + low pick to a cap floor team. But Nill would probably never do that.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
How reliable is this guy who was "poking around'?

His name suggests he's a hack because Insider is a dirty word, but he's actually right around DBD level. I know he spends quite a bit of time around the rink and with the sales staff. As far as if his source is media level like Heika or Ludwig or just some random team employee IDK really.

He seems pretty far from a rumor monger though despite the name. I was actually extremely reluctant to follow him for a while because of it. Insider sends up so many red flags.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Here it is:

Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge

Jason Spezza will wear No. 90 for the Stars. Ales Hemsky will wear 83.

This was a hot topic.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Both firsts in team history.

Wonder why he chose 90.

90 makes me think about those obvious Modano photo shopped images.

Mike+Modano+Detroit+Red+Wings+v+Dallas+Stars+u9SHTVfz9w9l.jpg

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Spezza will be the 8th player in NHL history to wear #90

Clark Gillies* Buffalo Sabres (88)
Marcus Johansson Washington Capitals (11, 12, 13, 14)
Joe Juneau Washington Capitals (94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99)
Buffalo Sabres (99)
Phoenix Coyotes (01)
Montreal Canadiens (02, 03, 04)
Enver Lisin Phoenix Coyotes (07)
Mike Modano* Detroit Red Wings (11)
Ryan O'Reilly Colorado Avalanche (13, 14)
Stephen Weiss Detroit Red Wings (14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad