Confirmed with Link: It's happening: All purpose expansion thread

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So....what about kids? Can Vegas (once they become official) sign a few kids (like undrafted 19 year olds) out of junior this summer...or do they have to wait until next year?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So....what about kids? Can Vegas (once they become official) sign a few kids (like undrafted 19 year olds) out of junior this summer...or do they have to wait until next year?

I don't think so, I'm fairly sure they'd have to wait until next summer, but I'll admit I'm pretty much guessing at this one.

Just seems like common sense, though.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Sources in Vegas saying that NHL Executive Committee have officially recommended Las Vegas as the lone Expansion team for 2017-18.

At this point, Foley (the Vegas owner) has to sign all of the paperwork and pay the expansion fee, and then league will make a big deal about it at the NHL Awards on the 22nd, which coincidentally is being held in Las Vegas.

This is it. Think of today in retail terms as the "soft opening", and the 22nd as the "grand opening". Vegas is open for business, but the celebration will be in two weeks.

Sooo, what you're saying is the Sens don't need to protect Bobby Ryan?

:pillow:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
We're going to have to look for an Anderson replacement soon enough. It might end up being Hammond, or perhaps someone else. A lot of things can change between now and the expansion draft and I think it's entirely possible that Anderson could be unprotected, especially if Hammond takes a step up this coming year.

I'm one of Anderson's biggest fans and even I think he should be unprotected. He's getting up in age and he becomes expendable if O'Connor continues to develop.

He took massive strides at the end of the bSens season and with a new goalie coach, he can make himself push for a spot the following season.

In the meantime, the team could run with Hammond and the last year of a guy like Niemi or Lehtonen's contract if either of them aren't selected in the draft.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think protecting or not protecting Anderson will be a decision made based on how this season plays itself out.

If he's Gangbusters Andy again, I can see us protecting him. If he's just kind of meh, I imagine we'd expose him.

Dude is going to be 36 next summer. It's a calculated risk, I guess.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
If the Sens are going to leave Anderson unprotected, they need to have a plan to bring in another goalie.

Trying to make the playoffs with Hammond and O'Conner is a recipe for disaster

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
If the Sens are going to leave Anderson unprotected, they need to have a plan to bring in another goalie.

Trying to make the playoffs with Hammond and O'Conner is a recipe for disaster

It would seem foolish at this point, wouldn't it. That's why we should see how the season shapes out. I could see us going any number of ways in 2 years depending on who steps up (or doesn't) next year. But I certainly see possible scenarios where we leave Anderson unprotected.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I think that the expansion draft will pry some good goalies loose and force teams to move them. It'd be an opportune time to fill that need, even if the likelihood is that we get an Anderson-level goalie who is 5 years younger or we risk it on a 25yo with potential who could fall short. It's an obvious hole moving forward and that draft will force everyone's hand. We don't risk much leaving a 35-36yo Anderson or Hammond unprotected and the upside is that we have a quality starter for the next 5 years.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As a somewhat related aside: If we leave both Methot and Anderson unprotected, I still think Vegas takes Methot.

I haven't gone through team by team yet, but I suspect there will be a fair number of similar quality Dmen available, but in the end, Methot to me seems like a tradable asset, while Anderson is to old to have much value on the market, and goalies are traditionally undervalued in trades.

So, I agree that Vegas would likely pluck Methot from us, even if they already have 6 better D from other teams, he could be traded right away to a team that just lost a top 4 dman to the expansion draft, and possibly at a bit of a premium, as Dmen will be in short supply if Vegas snatches all the extra top 4 dmen out there.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
If LV takes 30 bonafide NHL roster players on 1-way contracts (which seems to be the case), what happens to the 8 guys that aren't on LV team? Does LV simply waive the players that don't make the team? They can't send them down to the AHL. Anyone?

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
If LV takes 30 bonafide NHL roster players on 1-way contracts (which seems to be the case), what happens to the 8 guys that aren't on LV team? Does LV simply waive the players that don't make the team? They can't send them down to the AHL. Anyone?

They dont have to select 30 guys on one ways. they can pick 2 way guys, like Dzingel and Claesson if they so choose.

My question is will be given an AHL affiliate for players to go to.. or will another team offes to share one until LV gets enough players, or they are forced to sign unsigned guys and euros to fill out a club?

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Isn't the roster max 23?
Anyways, I just assume they'll pick 23 NHL'ers. Some will be 1 or 2 year rentals that they can flip at the deadlines. The others will be vet AHL'ers ready to make the jump. They don't have a system for depth and this way would help them bridge that gap.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Roster limit is 23, so they'd only need to worry about 7 guys. I imagine they would try and trade them though.

Lets say they draft 9 D, and 19 forwards, and 2 goalies. They'd likely want 7 or 8 D, and 13-14 forwards. Given the expansion draft rules basically leave teams 8th best forward and down unprotected (worst case, if you have a guy that doesn't meet the 2 yrs pro in your top 7, it pushes things down more) I suspect that the available D will be better players than the available forwards.

Keep 8 D, try and trade one, keep 13 forwards, trade or waive the rest.

The nice thing here is we might see some teams lacking depth get a couple good waiver pickups among the forwards.

Vegas will essentially be 6 2nd pair quality D, and 12 third line forwards, plus any UFA they can attract. With solid coaching, they could be a bubble team imo.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
"Black Aces" would be hockey relevant...

Ya except I wouldn't want my team to be named after a collection of players that aren't quite good enough to be playing in the playoffs on the big squad.

I'm actually fine with it being Black Knights. I might have just gone with just Knights, which may resemble Kings a bit too much.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Vegas will essentially be 6 2nd pair quality D, and 12 third line forwards, plus any UFA they can attract. With solid coaching, they could be a bubble team imo.

There will probably be enough older, expensive 2nd line talent that they could build two 2nd lines as well to support their high 1st rounder.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
qshl--quebec_aces_1952-53.gif
community-LCAAA.png
taken
Quebec would have liked that :laugh:

I imagine LV / NHL would have to get permission from Army/NCAA to use that name.

AWP-black-knights-rebrand.jpg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There will probably be enough older, expensive 2nd line talent that they could build two 2nd lines as well to support their high 1st rounder.

True, there will be guys like MacArhtur available.

So, if MacArthur comes back this season, and puts up ~50 pts playing on Turris' wing, with no ill effects from the concussions, do we still leave him unprotected? Does Vegas take him or Methot if we leave both unprotected?

I imagine we protect MacArthur if the above comes about, that depends on how some other guys develop.

Turris, Zib, Ryan, Hoff, Stone are no brainers to be protected. Then we have to pick two of MacArthur, Lazar, Smith, Pageau, Dzingel, Paul. At what point do we opt to expose MacArhtur vs protect MacArthur?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

So, if MacArthur comes back this season, and puts up ~50 pts playing on Turris' wing, with no ill effects from the concussions, do we still leave him unprotected? Does Vegas take him or Methot if we leave both unprotected?

I imagine we protect MacArthur if the above comes about, that depends on how some other guys develop.

Turris, Zib, Ryan, Hoff, Stone are no brainers to be protected. Then we have to pick two of MacArthur, Lazar, Smith, Pageau, Dzingel, Paul. At what point do we opt to expose MacArhtur vs protect MacArthur?

I would definitely protect Pageau over MacArthur... just for longevity

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

Id say its a 90% chance Mac is left unprotected. Lazar and Pageau get protected over simply due to age, and rfa contract status

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
There is going to be much better players then Methot available and if Ottawa is smart they might be able to improve the forwards.

Not really... I doubt each team has 10 better players protected. If Methot is unprotected, you can be sure 99.9% that he will be claimed.

Also, if Las Vegas pick 30 better players than Marc Methot, they will win the Cup easily... lol let's think a second

I think a few teams will protect 8 players instead of 7-3-1

In Sens case, it's very complicated... I'd go with :

Stone
Zibanejad
Turris
Hoffman
Ryan
Lazar
Pageau

Karlsson
Ceci
Methot

Anderson

And pray that nobody takes on Phaneuf or MacArthur. We could lose someone like Wideman, Dzingel or Puempel though... :(

I would potentially be okay, but obviously it's not ideal. I don't like the future of our goaltending, though. Bishop would likely provide stability for longer than Anderson will. Whether you develop a top level goalie or sign one, he's eventually going to cost you 6+ million. Unfortunately I don't believe anyone in our system is going to be a bonafide NHL starter after Anderson. It doesn't have to be Bishop for me, but yeah if it came down to it, I'd pay 7 million per if I felt it meant we had longer stability in net...

And that is why the acquisition of Anderson and the very reasonable contracts he is been on has been great for Ottawa.

As a somewhat related aside: If we leave both Methot and Anderson unprotected, I still think Vegas takes Methot.

It's a NO BRAINER. They can find another goalie on another team, but another solid top-4 like Methot won't come as easily.

Paul won't need to be protected, will only have 2 pro years under his belt.

Last edited:

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Not really... I doubt each team has 10 better players protected. If Methot is unprotected, you can be sure 99.9% that he will be claimed.

Also, if Las Vegas pick 30 better players than Marc Methot, they will win the Cup easily... lol let's think a second

I think a few teams will protect 8 players instead of 7-3-1

In Sens case, it's very complicated... I'd go with :

Stone
Zibanejad
Turris
Hoffman
Ryan
Lazar
Pageau

Karlsson
Ceci
Methot

Anderson

And pray that nobody takes on Phaneuf or MacArthur. We could lose someone like Wideman, Dzingel or Puempel though... :(

And that is why the acquisition of Anderson and the very reasonable contracts he is been on has been great for Ottawa.

It's a NO BRAINER. They can find another goalie on another team, but another solid top-4 like Methot won't come as easily.

I'm scared to death of Bonktastic smacking me in the face with a chair over this, but...

Doesn't Phaneuf need to be protected due to his NMC?

*Zorf is hiding in an undisclosed cave now*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad