Confirmed with Link: It's happening: All purpose expansion thread

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
This is awesome! Ottawa has been stuck in the middle for a while now, a shake up like this could really benefit them!!

don't see how it could benefit them if they lose a guy guy like Methot (most likely to be taken IMO).. just puts us back to where we were before the phaneuf trade..

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
don't see how it could benefit them if they lose a guy guy like Methot (most likely to be taken IMO).. just puts us back to where we were before the phaneuf trade..

There is going to be much better players then Methot available and if Ottawa is smart they might be able to improve the forwards.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
latest

HoffStoneKarl*

I'm hoping it hurts other teams more then it hurts us.

Who knows, maybe Claesson or Englund takes a step forward and develops into a top 4 D over next year... Or maybe we trade Ceci for a high end centre and keep Methot protect

My point is, I'm looking forward to a bit of a shakeup to the league. It'll be fun to see how things play out!!

HoffStoneKarl*

I wonder who we will lose. Puempel? Wideman?

Fingers crossed for no one :)

I haven't read all the info, but has there been any news released on how many players the expansion team will be picking?

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Methot? He'll be 32, kind of expensive but not outrageous. Yeah, I guess I could see it. I like Methot, but he's been hurt a lot and is pricey for a budget team so I guess it could be worse (though would rather keep him).

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
There is going to be much better players then Methot available and if Ottawa is smart they might be able to improve the forwards.

How do we improve the forwards through this?

Fingers crossed for no one :)

I haven't read all the info, but has there been any news released on how many players the expansion team will be picking?

Read the first post or Bonk is going to have to go on stress leave.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Methot? He'll be 32, kind of expensive but not outrageous. Yeah, I guess I could see it. I like Methot, but he's been hurt a lot and is pricey for a budget team so I guess it could be worse (though would rather keep him).

Remember that Vegas still has to hit the cap floor.

I imagine they'll take on a few guys like Methot - reasonably productive players on kind of large salaries.

They won't go near the Dustin Brown-type contracts with a 10 foot pole, but Methot is that sweet spot of "experience playing 1st pair D", "still pretty good" "contract really isn't all that long", and "gets us to the cap floor".

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Another Toronto team doesn't expand the league market (new fans, larger tv market, etc...), it just cannibalizes the pre-existing market.

But there is so much untapped market in the Toronto Area. Put another team there and BAM! two arenas selling out every game.

Your right about the league market thought. Bettman is just chasing his dream of a broadcasting deal like the NFL in the US.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
But there is so much untapped market in the Toronto Area. Put another team there and BAM! two arenas selling out every game.

The Leafs make a lot more money from things other than ticket sales. In fact, gate revenue is just slightly above payroll. (mid $70M)
A new team in the city will eat away into their TV revenues, merch revenues, gate revenues, diminish their brand, etc, etc.
I read somewhere that they take in close to $200M a year. Why would they agree to a team coming into their market and taking even 15-20% of their stake? That would cost them easily $30-40M per year! There is ZERO incentive for TML to ever agree to another team in that city unless there are some serious considerations (i.e. crazy royalties for many years) put in place.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Methot does seem like the obvious pick but what about Smith?

Say he has another decent season, he's going to UFA on a high note, we may or may not be able to re-sign him. I wouldn't be protecting him over Lazar or Pageau.
He'd be a solid piece for a young team - lots of experience, not terrible production even if he reverts to 15 goals.

THe thing with D is that a lot of teams have more than 3 good D so there will be a lot of talent available there

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site

I think Vegas and the NHL know the team needs to be competitive right off the bat to have a chance at working. The format of the expansion draft looks like it was designed for Vegas to get real players and not the usual shaky prospects and roster filler.

Taking good veterans gives Vegas a chance to compete right off the bat and a lot of ammo at the deadline to load up on decent picks and prospects if they want to.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Say he has another decent season, he's going to UFA on a high note, we may or may not be able to re-sign him. I wouldn't be protecting him over Lazar or Pageau.
He'd be a solid piece for a young team - lots of experience, not terrible production even if he reverts to 15 goals.

Why would Vegas take a UFA in the expansion draft?

Las Vegas: "from the Ottawa Senators, Las Vegas takes Zack Smith"

Zack Smith: "...Cool beans. The thing is, Calgary's offer is the best I've received, so I'm going to sign there. Thanks for picking me, though".

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I wonder if we'll see many expansion-related deals, with LV not taking unprotected players in exchange for picks or future considerations or whatever. It's happened before.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site

THe thing with D is that a lot of teams have more than 3 good D so there will be a lot of talent available there

I dunno, quality defencemen is the biggest need in the league. Most teams don't have more than 3-4 good to competent defence. You're more likely to see 3rd-4th line forwards put up decent-ish numbers with 1st or 2nd line ice time.

Since Vegas would enter without another team picking with them, they could put together the best team by picking a roster from the established teams instead of just who is the best player available from a given team.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Why would Vegas take a UFA in the expansion draft?

Uhh because they like to gamble?

Yes good point I overlooked that.
This draft is going to mess a lot of things up - for UFAs you are planning to re-sign you'd better to wait until after the draft and pre-UFA season. Anyone you sign earlier you'd have to risk or expose another player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad