Confirmed with Link: It's happening: All purpose expansion thread

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
This is the first time we've seen so many rumored pieces to expansion all in one article that is being claimed as "Confirmed", and the news outlet that is reporting it is pretty legitimate (RDS), so here we go folks... expansion.

RDS Saying that Las Vegas bid, and only the Las Vegas bid, has now been approved by the NHL behind the scenes, and will be ratified tomorrow. <--- psst, this is a link

Highlights of the article:
- Vegas will start play in 2017/18
- Play in the Pacific division
- Leading candidate for team name is "Black Knights", though not yet confirmed.
- Expansion draft will be next off-season, BEFORE the Entry Draft (June 20th)
- Apparently have already completed negotiations with the NHLPA regarding expansion rules. That's done. Both sides have agreed.
- Expansion draft protection list follows previously rumored format: 7F/3D/1G or "Any 8".
- Teams will be forced to protect players with No-Move Clauses. Not forced to protect players with No-Trade Clauses.
- The NHL has dropped the "Teams must leave 25% of their payroll unprotected" criteria that had been previously discussed.
- Players with 2 or less Pro Seasons will be exempt from the draft.
- Players who have retired due to injury but still have active contracts (Pronger, Horton, etc...) will be exempt from the draft.
- All teams are required to leave at least 2 F and 1D who are under contract for the 2017/18 season unprotected, who played at least 40 games last year (or 70 games over the last 2 years).
- Las Vegas will draft 30 players, at least 20 of whom MUST be under contract for the 2017-18 season (to reduce the likelihood of shenanigans)
- Las Vegas will NOT be allowed to buy out any players in it's first season (to reduce the likelihood of shenanigans).

REGARDING QUEBEC CITY:
- Will be excluded from this round of expansion
- Economics of hockey in Quebec not favorable fr a team at the moment, but Quebecor made a very good impression on the NHL.
- Possibility that this isn't a hard "no", but a "let's wait and see".
- Quebec possibly the leading candidate in case a team needs to be moved.

And yes, I know this is a lot of stuff we've been talking about for months now, it sounds familiar, but this is really the first time we've seen it all in one place, with someone saying "CONFIRMED" (though obviously until the league puts out the press release, skeptics will skept). It's big to see it presented like this.

Makes sense to have a dedicated thread for this, IMO.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
ALL PURPOSE "CONFIRMED" LINKS GLOSSARY
(aka: when someone asks you for a "source" for a previously confirmed expansion fact, direct them here, I'll try to keep it updated)​

- June 6th: EXPIRING NMC'S WILL NOT NEED TO BE PROTECTED
(yes, this means we won't be forced into using a protection slot on Chris Neil)

... Also, because I swear to god I refuse to explain this every 2nd day:
NTC:
A No-Trade Clause is a clause in a contract which says the player can't be traded without the player's permission. This clause can be either all-encompassing (full NTC) or conditional (Partial NTC - for example: a player can submit a list of 10 teams he can block a trade to). It only applies to trades.

NMC:
A No-Move Clause is a clause in a contract that says a player can't be traded, waived, assigned to anther team (ie: AHL/ECHL), or loaned to another team (ie: some team in Europe, jbeck5's beer league team, etc...)

A No-Move Clause can be dodged in two ways:
1) The player temporarily waives it, and
2) The team and player agree in the language of the contract that an additional Partial NTC clause in the contract allows the team some freedom as far as trade options are concerned. This only applies to trades. The language of the NMC itself isn't changed.

This does not alter the NMC in any way. IT IS STILL A FULL NMC, there are no such things as "Partial NMCs" as far as the language of the contract is concerned, the only difference is that the team and the player have agreed that the partial NTC supersedes the NMC for purposes of trade as far as legal priority is concerned.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Everything sounds good....except for that "black knights" name. Hope that isn't their final decision.

That one rule: All teams are required to leave at least 2 F and 1D who are under contract for the 2017/18 season unprotected, who played at least 40 games last year (or 70 games over the last 2 years). I envision this one biting teams in the butt, depending on what kind of injuries occur next year. That's going to make it difficult to make final lists for all us fans (at least until half the season is gone).

Going to be some interesting talk, that's for sure.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Exciting news, although I'll definitely echo Nac Mac on the terrible Black Knights name.

The 'two-year pro' rule... is there anyone that could be poached from us under this criteria who would really suck to lose? Nobody immediately comes to mind.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Everything sounds good....except for that "black knights" name. Hope that isn't their final decision.

That one rule: All teams are required to leave at least 2 F and 1D who are under contract for the 2017/18 season unprotected, who played at least 40 games last year (or 70 games over the last 2 years). I envision this one biting teams in the butt, depending on what kind of injuries occur next year. That's going to make it difficult to make final lists for all us fans (at least until half the season is gone).

Going to be some interesting talk, that's for sure.

2F and 1D who've played 70 games over two years?

Chiasson is already eligible. So is Lazar if we went that route.
Methot is eligible after 1 game.
Boro after 6 games.

Whatever kids we played this year all need 40 games.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I also want to echo the "Black Knights is a terrible name" proposition being put forward.

... especially when "Las Vegas Knights" is INFINITELY better when you consider the wordplay going on with the "Knights = Nights" homonym for a city that never sleeps.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I also want to echo the "Black Knights is a terrible name" proposition being put forward.

... especially when "Las Vegas Knights" is INFINITELY better when you consider the wordplay going on with the "Knights = Nights" homonym for a city that never sleeps.

You just know that everyone is just going to shorten Black Knights to just Knights anyways if they go with that name. It'll be like the Mets. At some point it'll be so ubiquitous that no one will care the full name is Black Knights.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

I dont mind it considering its a tribute ,towards the US army Black Knights .And all we have to do is build a moat around our goalie,to beat them so...

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Team name should be The Jokers.

c7ca63a8985ad2964dc78b3d74fdb7c8.jpg

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Dumb question about the expansion draft - each team loses one player? Or can it be more than one per team

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Example: Nick Paul.

He played a full year for Bingo last year with some games in Ottawa. Likely the same thing will happen this year.

Won't he be at 2 pro years come expansion draft?

Edit: Nvm. You need 3 pro years to be included. D'oh.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Whats the logic behind adding black to the name?

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
ALL PURPOSE "CONFIRMED" LINKS GLOSSARY
(aka: when someone asks you for a "source" for a previously confirmed expansion fact, direct them here, I'll try to keep it updated)​

- June 6th: EXPIRING NMC'S WILL NOT NEED TO BE PROTECTED
(yes, this means we won't be forced into using a protection slot on Chris Neil)

... Also, because I swear to god I refuse to explain this every 2nd day:

You addition made me laugh. Nice play.

And nicely laid out as well. Good Job.

If we are only to lose one player, and I assume we must lose one player, it will level out. Be an interesting poll to see, based on projected protected players, that could be.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
So would this make sense as our protected list:

Ryan
Turris
Stone
Hoffman
Zibanejad
Pageau
Lazar

Unprotected: MacArthur, Smith, Chiasson (if hes still around by then), Neil (if hes not retired), Puempel, Dzingel

Karlsson
Ceci
Phaneuf

Unprotected: Methot, Boroweicki, Wideman, Claesson, Kostka

Anderson

Unprotected: Hammond

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

Ryan
Turris
Stone
Hoffman
Zibanejad
Pageau
Lazar

Unprotected: MacArthur, Smith, Chiasson (if hes still around by then), Neil (if hes not retired), Puempel, Dzingel

Karlsson
Ceci
Phaneuf

Anderson

Depending on his progression next season, I think there's probably a chance we don't protect Lazar. If he doesn't show enough progress, we might leave him unprotected hoping he gets picked by Vegas so that Methot doesn't. Or if Puempel or Dzingel break out and score 25+ goals next season. (I like to think positive about our prospects) :D

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

Ryan
Turris
Stone
Hoffman
Zibanejad
Pageau
Lazar

Karlsson
Ceci
Phaneuf

Anderson

Does Nick Paul meet the criteria for a player that could be left exposed? If yes, my prediction is he's the guy that gets taken.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Does Nick Paul meet the criteria for a player that could be left exposed? If yes, my prediction is he's the guy that gets taken.

Nick Paul is exempt from the expansion draft, as he will have 2 years or less of pro experience when the draft will be taking place.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Nick Paul is exempt from the expansion draft, as he will have 2 years or less of pro experience when the draft will be taking place.

So does that mean he has a NMC?

:sarcasm:

Last edited by a moderator:

HoffStoneKarl*

This is awesome! Ottawa has been stuck in the middle for a while now, a shake up like this could really benefit them!!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00