Post-Game Talk: It's been one hell of a ride, boys. One HELL of a ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This board seems to have gotten so "what have you done for me lately." We just won 2 cups in 3 years. We played 61 playoff games over the last 3 years. Our players weren't at the top of their game this series. So what. We finally get a little bit of time to rest. Players get a chance to get healthy and Letang gets an actual offseason to train. Even if there isn't some big revamp over the summer, I still like our chances going into next season. If you don't think this is going to light a fire under them, you must live in a bubble.

The last three teams that have failed to threepeat... Oilers, Penguins, Red Wings, all lost in the second round. Those teams had some of the greatest HOFers to ever play, and they still couldn’t do it either.

That’s what this team was facing as well.

You have to be pretty “special” to be angry at any of them.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
The last three teams that have failed to threepeat... Oilers, Penguins, Red Wings, all lost in the second round. Those teams had some of the greatest HOFers to ever play, and they still couldn’t do it either.

That’s what this team was facing as well.

You have to be pretty “special” to be angry at any of them.
The fact that we set ourselves up to do it in the cap era is even more unreal.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The team outside is of Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel and Hornqvist shot at 6% collectively these playoffs. The forwards outside of them scored 8 goals. That’s pretty damning when you have a defense not built for shutting down teams.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The fact that we set ourselves up to do it in the cap era is even more unreal.

Yep, it’s more difficult to keep teams together these days, but JR worked some magic and they made history.

Keep thinking back to how it all ended in 93 when I was a young teen and I didn’t appreciate it. I thought they would pick right back up and keep winning more cups. However, Stevens injury altered his career and Lemieux barely played that following season...

It never happened again for that core. It was over, just like that.

That’s why I am grateful to see this core while they are still playing. That includes Letang and Kessel, eventhough they struggled this playoffs.

I again just feel badly for Murray because you have these twisted MAF fans, and we have one on here in particular that has issues... big time.

Anyone who beats down a b2b champion goalie that just lost his father, needs to seek mental help, and I can’t stress that enough. These people need to get with life and have some perspective about what this is really about.

GuentzelPlayoffSnipe

Jun 2, 2017
It is really difficult to criticise the players after the great 2 years we have had, last night was our chance to come out firing but we just had nothing in the legs.

I have never seen us ice the puck so much and Washington generally had us hemmed in our zone for a lot of the game and the best team most definitely won Game 6.

The critiscism of Murray really sickens me, he has won us 2 cups in his first 2 years in the league. He has dealt with a lot of adversity this year and we should be grateful for how he has performed the last 2 years, he was not at his best but he was not the reason we lost. Some of the posters on here, one in particular are truly embarassing themselves with their criticism of him. We do not know how lucky we are to have achieved what we have.

As much as it pained me losing to Washington, I would rather lose now and give the guys more time to get some rest for next year.

Going into next year we have a great chance of winning 3 in 4.

Guentzel Crosby Hornqvist
Hagelin Malkin
Brassard Kessel
Sheehan

Need to find a way to get some good line combos, hopefully get Sprong in the line-up and move Sheary, Hunwick and an established D-Man (Maatta or Letang)

Who knows if it is time for Letang to go but even if he has been a calamity this year at times, we can't forget what a servant he has been for the Penguins and the injuries he has been through in recent years.

I get so much joy out of this team and could never feel the distain that some people feel towards our heroes of the last few years.

LGP

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Did you ever leave the bun of a BK or McD on the floor of your car for awhile? It don't get moldy or anything. It's kind of scary. Try it out. Throw a piece of bun of the floor and check it out in a month. It won't change at all. =O

LMAO, no I haven't. I generally don't allow anything to go uneaten!

I've seen the experiment/study/PSA whatever hell it was, where they left a Mickey D's burger out for like a month. And it did nothing :laugh:.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Some folks have problems remembering that these are human beings. Ones that make lots of money for what they do, yes, but still human beings. The loss of a father, a miscarriage, these things matter and they don't just go away because you play a game.

In a very short amount of time Murray has become known for his ability to bounce back. It didn't happen on a game to game basis in this playoff year but if you don't think he will come into next season ready with a clean slate, well, I would expect better than average odds that he becomes a premier shutdown goalkeep pretty quickly next year.

Reactions: ncm7772

Bnat66

May 10, 2017
New Jersey
I don't think I can watch anymore more hockey the rest of the playoffs. Follow the scores to see the outcomes yes, but sitting and watching games? just can't.

Reactions: ncm7772

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
I don't think I can watch anymore more hockey the rest of the playoffs. Follow the scores to see the outcomes yes, but sitting and watching games? just can't.
same tbh. maybe Vegas games but that's it. now i get to watch the Pirates be mediocre. yaaaaay

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Is he a bad fit because he’s a really smart player who can really set up his linemates? ;)

His played with Sheary 75% of the time who shot at 0%. The others he played with mainly couldn’t finish their chances either Rust (against the Caps), Kessel and Kuhnhackl.

His injury hindered him but he was still a good playmaker.

I'd give him til November or Dec. If he's still not doing enough, other options should be considered imo.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I think Brassard must have been playing significantly hurt. If he wasn't this could be Perron 2.0.

He was hurt. He only averaged 13:29 minutes in the playoffs. That was more than only Simon, ZAR, Kuhnhackl, Rowney, Sheary

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
When Kris Letang is your worst issue and his contract is maybe over payment by a million, you shouldn’t worry.

Especially after you won back to back and have arguably the best center depth in your conference going into next year.
You mean the guy that just singlehandedly lost you a series? I'm not sure about that.

Reactions: BillPrep

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I am going to skip this next round, but may tune in for the conference trophy presentations. I will watch the cup finals and root for anyone but Washington, solely because of Tom Wilson and Kuznetsov with his stupid bird dance.

Things I am looking forward to: Free agency and what we do. What some R&R will do for this team next season. Seeing what injuries people were playing through (always amazed at what hockey players put their bodies through)

Things I am dreading: All the "Should have kept Fleury, Kunitz, Bonino..." talk. Coming to terms that this team didn't give it their all. The turnovers.

Reactions: ColePens and Dacks

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
You mean the guy that just singlehandedly lost you a series? I'm not sure about that.

If one player can singlehandedly lose you a series your team is garbage.

The good news is one player can’t do that in hockey (maybe a goalie).

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I cant bring myself to root for Vegas. Its bad as it is around here already as far as the the MAF-Murray debate goes...

I cant take a full summer of hot takes about how we should have kept MAF instead.

This. Nothing against MAF, but I don't want them to win. For the exact reason as above.

Bnat66

May 10, 2017
New Jersey
I knew I never should of watched the Penguins 1996 letdown against the Florida Panthers the other day-similar feeling.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I've got nothing but admiration and appreciation for this Penguins squad. They battled hard over the past three years and did what no one else in this era had done. The short off-seasons have certainly caught up with some of the guys.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad