Post-Game Talk: It's been one hell of a ride, boys. One HELL of a ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Don't you just love posters who never show up after a win but always show up after a loss and act angry even though they are clearly happy to have something to rant about?

I've noticed about 4-5 that are NEVER around, unless the pens lose. Then they crawl outta the wood work and repeat what they think is wrong or blame 1 player 20x.

Some people cant be reasoned with.
Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Any thoughts on Brassard moving ahead? Does he fit in after a preseason or does he need to leave?

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Any thoughts on Brassard moving ahead? Does he fit in after a preseason or does he need to leave?

Personally I'd say give him until next December/January. If he still isn't fitting in, trade him. I have hope though.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Another positive, I finally got to use the ignore feature.

Obviously Crosby and Guentzel had great playoffs, Hornqvist and Dumoulin as well. Malkin did what he could considering. Sheahan and Hagelin were both great defensively even if the offence wasn't quite there.

I think Brassard was still hurting from whatever kept him out of the regular season games. Kessel obviously had something going on. Rust looked slow as well.

Maatta and Letang both with incredibly dumb mistakes. Letang I expect it from not Maatta is supposed to be the smart one.

Murray was meh, clearly not good enough overall but he kept the Pens in it after that first weak goal and was making the big saves.

No depth scoring killed them. I can't blame Sully too much, either. The players have to play. If you look at this lineup, they should be coming at you in waves and it simply wasn't happening. Washington loses Backstrom so we should have had the edge in matchups especially on home ice but it just wasn't there. They didn't look fast. Couldn't finish. What do you do? Spread them out or load them up, didn't seem to matter when there's so many passengers. I'm not really blaming the players either. Some were obviously injured.

I mean, I expected this kind of thing last season. I kept expecting them to run out of gas then but it didn't happen. It was bound to happen eventually. They lost to a higher seeded team, I can't be too upset.

At least now I can just go fishing after work instead of sitting inside watching hockey.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The talent couldn't make up for the fatigue, injuries, and bad habits. I don't think they looked like a real Cup contender at any point during the season. So I'm not that disappointed. That said, it's been one hell of a ride. You got used to them winning and, frankly, expected it. Now that it's over, though, don't take it for granted. These past couple years have more than made up for the frustration of other seasons.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He was really good for 14 games prior to injury. Sure he looked a bit disjointed with the transition but he still had 8 points in 14 games as a 3c. 7 of them at ES. I'm not at all worried about him fitting in here.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Yeah, for all of the Kessel is injured talk, I'm surprised more people didn't say that about Brassard. I mean, his play dropped off a cliff after coming back and his first game back was game 1. Pretty clear he still wasn't 100%.

Reactions: StaalForOne and BHD

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, for all of the Kessel is injured talk, I'm surprised more people didn't say that about Brassard. I mean, his play dropped off a cliff after coming back and his first game back was game 1. Pretty clear he still wasn't 100%.
it's also worth mentioning that it's not a stretch to attribute his "lack of chemistry" with Kessel at least partially to the fact that Kessel's injury happened right before we traded for Brassard. It's very likely Phil's chemistry with Sheahan (which was non-existent for half a season btw) would have gone away too.

Brassard having a disappointing post-season is a fair criticism. Saying he's a bad fit with the team does not hold water though. It was a disappointing post-season from about half of our roster on an individual level. I, for one, am not looking for us to blow it up as a response.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I am grateful for the run but disappointed in this year's effort.

I get a little disgusted by the self-righteous people on the forums saying people can't feel or think differently than they do. If someone is pissed, mad, upset, or whatever they are certainly allowed to feel that way and really do not need anyone else's permission to do so.

I am over Letang. Brass wasn't what I was hoping for, but maybe next season is better. I think Sheahan was every bit as effect as he was without all the hype. Simon really should never ever be on L1 in the NHL. I hope that changes. Murray wasn't awesome, but neither was the team in front of him. Defensively we need a change I think. Not sure if that involves some coaching (martin) or just players, but something sure as hell has got to give.

Playoff Jake, man what an pleasure watching him. Sid being Sid.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Wow. I'm at a loss for words. You just went all end of days, revelations on us.

These guys just won back 2 back cups, and your ready to turn your back on them that fast for not winning 3 in a row.

Everything you said is an over reaction and not true at all. You cant win them all. So back away from the ledge bro, the sun is going rise again tomorrow I promise.

This poster just wants attention, don’t give it to him/her/it.

We also have another poster who whines about Murray constantly, calls the team losers, and once wished cancer on Dupuis (hard to forget as I was sitting next to my mother dying from cancer in a hospice as I read it).

I wish people would just ignore these idiots and they would crawl back into their gutters.

trader997

Oct 17, 2008
Montreal
This was the moment when Crosby could show he really deserved his Conn Smythe trophies. Now, when Pens had no secondary scoring like the previous 2 years, he could really lead the team to victories like a true MVP should.

The result? 1 even strength point (a secondary assist) in games 5 and 6 and a dumb turnover which sprung Kuznetsov on a breakaway for a series clinching goal.

So much for the great playoff leader and MVP. Fake leader and MVP, rather.
Crosby looked out of gas last night but you can't fault him he was on the ice for 13 of our 14 goals this series! So keep that shit for yourself, like no other sports, your best players play 1/3 of a game and you need secondary scoring.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
What a series and what a run. For anyone doubting Crosby, he and Jake had 1.75 ppg these playoffs, which is nuts. It might seriously take until the final series for someone to pass them.

Ill be real interested once the typical postseason exit injuries start coming out. Our forward group just looked beat to hell these playoffs.

And just to throw it out there, I cant wait for next season. A few minor roster moves and this is going to be a loaded team. A full year with Brassard and Sheahan, Im pumped already.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
A few points:

- At least we didn’t lose to Philly ;).

- I would have preferred if fans chanted “go pens go” instead of “Holtby Holtby”. Made me think of Philly fans chanting “Crosby sucks” while he was tearing them up.

- Fans did seem quiet yesterday. I know 1-0 may be deflating but can’t have such a thin skin after all the winning the Pens have done the last 2 playoffs (not to mention 08-09).

- Agree with no need to blow up the team. We’re not that far away from another deep run.

- Letang...maybe he needs to see a sports psychologist. Help him see the game a bit clearer again. Trade only if return is solid. Let’s be honest, our D doesn’t instill fear in anybody.

- Agree that team seemed tired. Our speed guys Sheary/Rust seemed slow.

- Caps felt different this time around, wanted it more. Didn’t crumble under the pressure. However the cracks were forming when our forecheck was strong. Tells me a well rested Pens team with the same lineup would have probably beaten them.

- After back to back cups, can’t say anything bad about the results this year :). I mean Caps have never won a cup to our 4 (correction, 5), so how can I complain?

- Have become spoiled. Not used to the feeling of losing :(.

Last edited:

Lawd Stanley

Apr 10, 2017
The Great White North
A few points:

- At least we didn’t lose to Philly ;).

- I would have preferred if fans chanted “go pens go” instead of “Holtby Holtby”. Made me think of Philly fans chanting “Crosby sucks” while he was tearing them up.

- Fans did seem quiet yesterday. I know 1-0 may be deflating but can’t have such a thin skin after all the winning the Pens have done the last 2 playoffs (not to mention 08-09).

- Agree with no need to blow up the team. We’re not that far away from another deep run.

- Letang...maybe he needs to see a sports psychologist. Help him see the game a bit clearer again. Trade only if return is solid. Let’s be honest, our D doesn’t instill fear in anybody.

- Agree that team seemed tired. Our speed guys Sheary/Rust seemed slow.

- Caps felt different this time around, wanted it more. Didn’t crumble under the pressure. However the cracks were forming when our forecheck was strong. Tells me a well rested Pens team with the same lineup would have probably beaten them.

- After back to back cups, can’t say anything bad about the results this year :). I mean Caps have never won a cup to our 4, so how can I complain?

- Have become spoiled. Not used to the feeling of losing :(.
Isn’t it 5 cups? So many y’all are losing track lol.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I mean, it's kind of weird, I've had people I know telling me to calm down and relax and not get so angry when I'm pretty tranquil about the whole thing.

The only thing I said to them is that I really don't have a whole lot to say about the outcome. I stopped getting worked up about these things ages ago (with rare exceptions like Wilson's hit on ZAR, heh).

LiquorLicense

Jan 9, 2017
For the people blaming Murray and calling him profanities, you really are bottom feeders. 1. He played well enough for us to beat the caps, even though his father just recently died. 2. You have to score goals to win, we averaged 4.66 against Philly and 2.33 per game against the caps, half the production. 3. He carried us to 2 cups and technically as a rookie both years.

Anyone pinning blame on Murray obviously wasn't much of a fan during the Fluery years. The rest of us who were, have enjoyed a goalie who can steal games, make the timely amazing save, step up when it counts, and exude confidence and calm. We have enjoyed the shit out of this guy for the last 3 seasons, and trust me it's been a well-deserved and welcomed feeling for those of us that endured the flopping-fish years (no disrespect, Fleury had his share of contributions to this club) . We see through your lazy, flat, lifeless anti-Murray arguments so save your blame for someone else.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Pretty insane stat: Malkin was on ice 27 High danger scoring chances for and they only scored 2 goals. Absolutely insane HDCF% 71.05. He also had rock bottom PDO 0.87

This is what killed them

thHeund.jpg
I know people roll their eyes when I say this but it happens over AND OVER AGAIN, when Geno was on that hot goal streak, and pucks were squeezing through the goalies, I just hated that press campaign that was intolerable, Geno for Hart, geno this Geno that, I just knew it was gonna jinx him, same thing for Jake, all of a sudden after game 4 every PGH outlet was wrtiting about jake, in a manner that was just too much, enough for me to have that terrible feeling that would jinx him, of course he did nothing games 5 and 6 zilch...

don't bother to understand this but it happens all the time at least for the teams I follow...leave the celebration and adulation and all that c... for when its done...

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Pretty insane stat: Malkin was on ice 27 High danger scoring chances for and they only scored 2 goals. Absolutely insane HDCF% 71.05. He also had rock bottom PDO 0.87

This is what killed them

thHeund.jpg
...Geno has some of those to bury but also just think of maatta game 5 and Shultz last night, perfect setup, just did not get in...last year in POs Geno had 15+ points first two rounds while playing so so, because the puck was literally going through Boby and Holtby...this year not so much..

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
how about some positive points..

-Brian Dumoulin is an excellent defenseman. The team really has a gem there.
-Maybe Letang just needs a full offseason to train and get ready. Remember, he was excellent in 2016 and a major reason for the championship. He definitely nose-dived this year but it's possible he'll rebound
-Guentzel is on his ELC for another year. Wow.
-Sheahan and Brassard. Remember in November when we were all panicked about our center situation? Brassard was probably hurt but he was great the last couple games. I'd love to see a full year out of them
-Horny will be back. Can't take that guy for granted
-Salary cap rising=room for another defenseman?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
We're still in a good position to be the next 5-6 years a powerhouse. I'm confident GMJR knows what has to be done in the summer. It was a hell of a ride the last two years and my dissapointment is already gone. Can't win every year.
I hope you are right, I am waiting for sid and geno to drop their game a notch now for two three years, glad I was wrong...more concerned about Geno, he will always be good for 50-60 points if you give him decent wingers that can actually score. Sid I am worried a bit less...however what really worries me we don't have anyone anyone in AHL or younger that can help next year...

Reactions: Angrrus

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
it's also worth mentioning that it's not a stretch to attribute his "lack of chemistry" with Kessel at least partially to the fact that Kessel's injury happened right before we traded for Brassard. It's very likely Phil's chemistry with Sheahan (which was non-existent for half a season btw) would have gone away too.

Brassard having a disappointing post-season is a fair criticism. Saying he's a bad fit with the team does not hold water though. It was a disappointing post-season from about half of our roster on an individual level. I, for one, am not looking for us to blow it up as a response.
I'm looking forward to seeing Brassard and Kessel having a full season together to learn each other's tendencies and develop chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad