Post-Game Talk: It's been one hell of a ride, boys. One HELL of a ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I hope you are right, I am waiting for sid and geno to drop their game a notch now for two three years, glad I was wrong...more concerned about Geno, he will always be good for 50-60 points if you give him decent wingers that can actually score. Sid I am worried a bit less...however what really worries me we don't have anyone anyone in AHL or younger that can help next year...
I'm told, quite frequently in fact, that there is a talented winger that would singlehandedly win us another cup just sitting there waiting.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Past success is nice

But that sucked

Five guys better be getting knee or elbow surgery, or they should consider returning their unearned salary.

JR better shine his going out shoes, hes got a lot of dancing with other GMs to do in the off-season.

Go Lightning!

Reactions: Angrrus

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
#1 reason is we didn't generate any offense outside of Sid and Guentzel all series. Even when you generate 20 high danger chances in a game sometimes you don't win. When we're not generating anything at all, you can't expect to win a series in the playoffs.
Pens lost two games where they scored 3 goals. Too bad they need 4+ on most nights when Matty goes into the toilet.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
Sad it's the end of this run but it was ending soon anyhow.

Hockey is a funny game. Sully said it best,they just needed more players playing their best hockey at this time of the year. Injuries or fatigue or just slumps... Just didn't have it.

Optimistic for next year. I think with some rest and some players starting from camp they should be a better team than this year.

As for letang... Rough season. I'm not supremely confident he's going to turn it around, but I think it's more likely he does than that the pens can dump him and get better. Maybe see if he can't Improve with an offseason.

Let's go pens

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
It's not even like Murray had an AWFUL playoffs. He was above a 900. Unlike a certain someone who had 4 straight sub 900. Postseasons.

ok you forgot the sarcasm emoji. Murray absolutely had an awful postseason. It sounds like he still hasn't come to terms with the loss of his father (reading between the lines from Sullivan's post game presser). You can also read a little bit into Letangs comments that "every chance they gave up ended up in the back of their net". Murray did not lose us game 6. BUT he put us in a position to lose the series in game 6 by taking a shot that's going wide, flashing the pad out and putting it back in his net back in game 3, to absolute gong show goal in game 5 (and losing his net on one of the goals). The guy ended the post season with a 90.8% save percentage, there are 13 guys better then him and #13 is at a 92.2%. The only goalie left in the playoffs that is comparable is Rinne, and Rinne has been not good either and is a big part of why the Preds are on the brink. The difference is that for game 6 Rinne locked it down and the Preds got to business. Our team game 6 we looked like we had nothing left and played cautious, while I still say Murray did not lose this game. He really could've been better, once again we outchanced the Caps, and we had more dangerous looks. But yet they won. I still wonder if the team had lost confidence in Murray (see Letang's comments) and if that played into the slow careful hockey we saw.

Still this should not have made it to game 6, we really should've won this 4-1. Oh well, rest up guys and hopefully Murray can get his head straightened out for next season.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Any thoughtson Brassard moving ahead? Does he fit in after a preseason or does he need to leave?

Hope we can "David Perron" him. Like Perron, Brassard doesn't fit this team, for whatever reason. Maybe a locker room issue, who knows. Expected a hungrier player given he wasn't part of the two-peat. Get rid of Sheary too cause he sucks. And please send Letang packing as soon as season is over.

Brassard has had enough time to acclimate here, look at Hornqvist..that's a guy who made an impact almost immediately.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
When your goalie gives up only 2 goals in 60+ mins....he's not why you lost. People are absurd in blamimg Murray...he was the reason they didn't get scored on in the 3rd. ..yes he should've been better in game 5. But he was good this game...saying otherwise is idiotic.
What happened last year when the Pens were facing elimination to the Caps?

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
He was really good for 14 games prior to injury. Sure he looked a bit disjointed with the transition but he still had 8 points in 14 games as a 3c. 7 of them at ES. I'm not at all worried about him fitting in here.

This team is built and coached for transition. Maybe he's just a better fit on another club. There's no shame in that. I know Pens are injury prone but when the first thing that happens to a new Pen is an injury, it's a bad omen for me.

May 17, 2009
Maine
I'm pleased to see the tradition of personally insulting our goaltender when we don't win a cup is continuing ::sarcasm thingy::

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pens have two big moves to make this summer.

#1 get Letang the **** off the team
#2 get a competent vet to babysit Matty when he gets hurt and then goes into the toilet.

Murray had relative struggles this year, but his game has never gone "into the toilet".

I know you have a short, flawed memory, so for reference's sake, Murray's GAA and SV% were better these playoffs than what Fleury put up in the playoffs for literally 5 years straight between '08-'09 (the Cup year) and '12-'13.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
These past 3 seasons have been a rollercoaster of emotion filled with the highest highs and now the lowest of the lows.

It stings that the end of the 3-peat dream came by the hands of a very beatable Caps team, but I think we can all take a step back now and realize what we just did. We’re gonna be remembered like the Pens and Wings of the 90’s and the Oilers and the Islanders of the 80’s. That’s company I’d be honored to keep.

This is is not the end. One or two more in the next 5 years is still as likely as it was before we got knocked out. Jake is blooming into something even more special and hopefully he can play flanking Sid most of next year. Malkin isn’t going anywhere, Horny is resigned for the rest of the window, Phil will likely rebound from his arm-amputation.

We do need to address Letang, Sheary, Sprong, Kuhnackl and Hunwick. Letang needs relearn the fundamentals of hockey and realize that he’s not the team. He’s part of the team. Making boneheaded one man army plays to try and put the team on his back ended up sinking the ship instead. Look at the help he has around him. When you make the simple play enough, opportunities will come. Forcing high risk passes in OT while down 3-2 or tied 2-2 in a series is NOT the time to get fancy.

Kuhnackl would be an alright 13th forward but if he’s suiting up for 82 games next year I’m gonna be upset.

At the end of the day, any team would be estatic to be hoisting the cup at year’s end. We just did it two seasons in a row so even after how hard this elimination felt, there’s never going to be anything but love for Sully, the team and the players that made this wild ride possible.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Murray had relative struggles this year, but his game has never gone "into the toilet".

I know you have a short, flawed memory, so for reference's sake, Murray's GAA and SV% were better these playoffs than what Fleury put up in the playoffs for literally 5 years straight between '08-'09 (the Cup year) and '12-'13.

And let's just ignore that Murray put up two straight 920+ cup runs...lol. One bad series and he's done....

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
These past 3 seasons have been a rollercoaster of emotion filled with the highest highs and now the lowest of the lows.

It stings that the end of the 3-peat dream came by the hands of a very beatable Caps team, but I think we can all take a step back now and realize what we just did. We’re gonna be remembered like the Pens and Wings of the 90’s and the Oilers and the Islanders of the 80’s. That’s company I’d be honored to keep.

This is is not the end. One or two more in the next 5 years is still as likely as it was before we got knocked out. Jake is blooming into something even more special and hopefully he can play flanking Sid most of next year. Malkin isn’t going anywhere, Horny is resigned for the rest of the window, Phil will likely rebound from his arm-amputation.

We do need to address Letang, Sheary, Sprong, Kuhnackl and Hunwick. Letang needs relearn the fundamentals of hockey and realize that he’s not the team. He’s part of the team. Making boneheaded one man army plays to try and put the team on his back ended up sinking the ship instead. Look at the help he has around him. When you make the simple play enough, opportunities will come. Forcing high risk passes in OT while down 3-2 or tied 2-2 in a series is NOT the time to get fancy.

Kuhnackl would be an alright 13th forward but if he’s suiting up for 82 games next year I’m gonna be upset.

At the end of the day, any team would be estatic to be hoisting the cup at year’s end. We just did it two seasons in a row so even after how hard this elimination felt, there’s never going to be anything but love for Sully, the team and the players that made this wild ride possible.

This is key. We have the core and complementary players to compete for years to come, if we make the right tweaks.

Reactions: Trade

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
This board seems to have gotten so "what have you done for me lately." We just won 2 cups in 3 years. We played 61 playoff games over the last 3 years. Our players weren't at the top of their game this series. So what. We finally get a little bit of time to rest. Players get a chance to get healthy and Letang gets an actual offseason to train. Even if there isn't some big revamp over the summer, I still like our chances going into next season. If you don't think this is going to light a fire under them, you must live in a bubble.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Like do people realise that Bonino was not any better last year than Brassard was this year? Only difference is that the team won the cup, and that Murray and Kessel didn't play like crap.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'd rather have Kuhn than Sheary. Kuhn looked actually decent vs Washington and you can trust him in the playoffs in close games. I wouldn't mind keeping him.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
This team is built and coached for transition. Maybe he's just a better fit on another club. There's no shame in that. I know Pens are injury prone but when the first thing that happens to a new Pen is an injury, it's a bad omen for me.

Is he a bad fit because he’s a really smart player who can really set up his linemates? ;)

His played with Sheary 75% of the time who shot at 0%. The others he played with mainly couldn’t finish their chances either Rust (against the Caps), Kessel and Kuhnhackl.

His injury hindered him but he was still a good playmaker.

Fenrir009

May 2, 2018
Very interested to see how Brassard performs the first half of next season. If he starts really clicking with the team and our system, it's going to payoff in a big way for us I think.

For the rest of these playoffs, I'm pulling for the Jets and or Vegas.

Reactions: BigEezyE22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->