Post-Game Talk: It's a Wiebe's World. Jets win 6-2.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Who is good with mathematics? How will we clinch?

Well, you basically take the ninth place team in the conference (unless they have games on hand against a higher ranked team) and assume they win all their games.

In this case, that would be Anaheim with 82 points with 11 games to play. If they win all of them, that gives them 104 points. So, for the Jets to clinch, they need 10 points with 11 games to go.

Of course, Anaheim won’t win 11 games in a row, but if they start streaking, you do the same calculation for the team they surpass.

But realistically, the Jets could flounder to a 1-11 finish and probably still make the playoffs.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Who would we play ???- if we finished in second place ???

This is the way I understand it -- is this right or wrong ???

We are in the Western Conference / and 2 divisions within it are-- Central and Pacific
We are in the Central Division

1) The winner of the "Western Conference"-will play last qualifier for a "wild card ??

2) The 1st place team -- of the "other division" within the Western Conference -- will play the team that finished "above" the bottom wild card qualifier ??

I think this is right ? --then the 2nd and 4th place teams with each division play each other ??

Then--what about the 3rd place finishers within each division ??--would they play each other--even though there in different divisions ??-anybody know ??

NOTE-- I'm a little worried about playing Denver-- they are really coming on !!! with MacKinnon.

2nd place in division places 3rd place in division. So if the Jets finish 2nd, we will play either Minnesota, Dallas or Colorado (the one with he most points).

So yes, definitely could be the Avs.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
All the young guys scoring reminds me of the 92/93 season when we had 4 rookies score 20 goals. Lets see, it was Selanne, Zhamnov, Tkachuck and who was the fourth guy...ah yes, none other than Evgeny Davydov:yo:

Here's my favorite Davydov moment, 1992 playoffs:

Reactions: Jet

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Who would we play ???- if we finished in second place ???

This is the way I understand it -- is this right or wrong ???

We are in the Western Conference / and 2 divisions within it are-- Central and Pacific
We are in the Central Division

1) The winner of the "Western Conference"-will play last qualifier for a "wild card ??

2) The 1st place team -- of the "other division" within the Western Conference -- will play the team that finished "above" the bottom wild card qualifier ??

I think this is right ? --then the 2nd and 4th place teams with each division play each other ??

Then--what about the 3rd place finishers within each division ??--would they play each other--even though there in different divisions ??-anybody know ??

NOTE-- I'm a little worried about playing Denver-- they are really coming on !!! with MacKinnon.

If the playoff started today

Central
NSH - DAL
WPG - MIN

Pacific
VGK - COL
SJS - LAK

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
I'll take 40 goals until he signs an extension
hes gonna get paid what hes gonna get paid no matter if he hits 50 and wins the rocket. id rather him win the rocket with 50 goals as thats something so rare to happen for a 19 year old and it would be amazing for him this franchise and us to witness! lets go laine rocket and 50!!

Reactions: Scheifelaine

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If the playoff started today

Central
NSH - DAL
WPG - MIN

Pacific
VGK - COL
SJS - LAK

Is this right here Aavco ?? there are 4 teams that make the playoffs from each division, and 2 teams that are Wild Cards --right ?--so that totals 4*2= 8 +2= 10 teams, which means there should be 5 --- 2 team playoffs ? are you missing one ?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Is this right here Aavco ?? there are 4 teams that make the playoffs from each division, and 2 teams that are Wild Cards --right ?--so that totals 4*2= 8 +2= 10 teams, which means there should be 5 --- 2 team playoffs ? are you missing one ?

Only 16 teams make the playoffs. 8 in the east. 8 in the west. In the west top 3 in each division make it plus 2 wild card teams.

What I posted would be the exact playoff matchups in the west as of March 15. Dallas and Colorado would be the wild card teams

Reactions: GNP

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Yup. He blew his cover many months ago already. It puzzles me how so many still thinks he is a genuine poster. Just ignore.

O'Connor straight from farmleague was a gem, I give him/her that.

It was like finding out Santa Clause isn't real for me.

As for the game, woah that is surreal dominating the Hawks like that. I think what everyone misses is the pieces they've lost on defence. Yeah Toews could score more but Seabrook and everyone who isn't Keith just aren't any good. Even Keith isn't what he was 5 years ago. Prime Hjalmarsson, Seabrook, Keith, Oduya (and Hossa) was a big part of their success.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
We should name every player thread in the great professors honor:

Laine: TEENAGE SUPERSTAR TRANSPORTER OF HOCKEY

Connor: Farmboy O'Connor enjoys high life in top line

Ehlers: Selfish, never pass Danish who is always making me mad, VERY,VERY MAD!

Wheeler: Old guy who is overrated and taking away 30mins of superstar icetime from transporter of hockey

Little: Guy who is on worst contract in all of playing sports off all time in universe, who Teenagesuperstar was punished to play with.
you forgot buff who is traktor and slow only wants slap shot for himself!

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
A win at home
giphy.gif

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Ahhh, you'll have to thank the one and only @avgard for that one.

When Laine was on the second and Connor was on the first (kinda still is now that I think about it), he would yell about how "farm boy o'connor" was taking Laine's ice away, like only he can.

The nickname stuck, needless to say :laugh:

That was actually pretty early in the year when I picked up on it. It's taken a bit for the rest of the board to catch on.

He does drop some nuggets amongst the detritus.

Highlights looked good, I caught most of it in the car, 3rd at home.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Only 16 teams make the playoffs. 8 in the east. 8 in the west. In the west top 3 in each division make it plus 2 wild card teams.

What I posted would be the exact playoff matchups in the west as of March 15. Dallas and Colorado would be the wild card teams

Yes, your right--as usual Aavco --and I looked it up, just to confirm. I thought 4 teams make the playoffs from each division "plus" 2 wild card teams-- that was wrong. You are right that-- it's 3 teams from each division, plus 2 wild card teams. So the grand total of competing teams from both conferences is 16--as you say. Thanks Aavco -- your the book on this stuff. ;)

Hope the Jet's don't have to play Colorado--they are looking mighty tough. I hope we play Dallas, then Minnesota --then we'll be ready for a tougher opponent.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If we're healthy and have all our players, I think we can beat anyone. The Preds are one of the top teams in the NHL, and we were up 2 goals in the 1st and 3rd periods on them, but Helle had a bad game.

I think with "all our troops" intact --we will dominate the Preds. The series may go 6-7 games, but we have enough to take them on. The Penns would be the toughest if they get in, and we'd have to deal with them, in the final.

We'll need "stellar goaltending" to do this--looks like we do.:thumbu:

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Nice to see Lits pot one. That line looked great tonight, so it'll be interesting to see what happens when Scheifele returns. Little works really well with Wheeler, and Connor is also a great complement. Do you put Scheif with Perreault and Roslo?

Honestly. I have been saying it for two years now.
Everyone gets better playing with Scheifele.
So why not put him with a perreault and Roslovic. I bet they would do well with each other.

Then if for some reason it doesn’t work.... you change it.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
If you look at the players feet in each image they are in perfect alignment with each other.

What's really needed is cameras on the the centre clock. Clearly the off ice cameras are being blocked by the boards & are useless for calls like this.

Yeah, they are in perfect alignment, and unless that puck is moving pretty frikkin slow the guy is way offside...why don’t we have shots from those same angles a split second earlier when the puck is still on the blue line?? I’d bet the guy is still offside...

Here’s what bugs me - most of these offside challenges they are struggling to determine if a guy’s skate is lifted a millimeter off the bloody ice before the puck crosses the blue line. Like we’re talking barely lifted off just as the puck crosses the line! And they come back with “yup, that’s offside” and the goal is disallowed.

This time, we have a situation where it really looks like a guy is offside - like exactly what the whole offside challenge call was supposed to be about preventing, but no they haven’t got an angle that gives them the ability to call it offside! At the very least, if they determine that they haven’t got the video to allow them to make the call they should say it’s inconclusive and there shouldn’t be a penalty assessed. Because on the surface that was a way more reasonable coach’s challenge than almost any other one i’ve seen the past couple seasons.

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Yeah, they are in perfect alignment, and unless that puck is moving pretty frikkin slow the guy is way offside...why don’t we have shots from those same angles a split second earlier when the puck is still on the blue line?? I’d bet the guy is still offside...

Here’s what bugs me - most of these offside challenges they are struggling to determine if a guy’s skate is lifted a millimeter off the bloody ice before the puck crosses the blue line. Like we’re talking barely lifted off just as the puck crosses the line! And they come back with “yup, that’s offside” and the goal is disallowed.

This time, we have a situation where it really looks like a guy is offside - like exactly what the whole offside challenge call was supposed to be about preventing, but no they haven’t got an angle that gives them the ability to call it offside! At the very least, if they determine that they haven’t got the video to allow them to make the call they should say it’s inconclusive and there shouldn’t be a penalty assessed. Because on the surface that was a way more reasonable coach’s challenge than almost any other one i’ve seen the past couple seasons.

my gist?
if we're checking mm, let's first check if the player being offside has any relevance to the play/goal. in this case, the offside player had zero relevance. you're asking for a goal to be disallowed based on a silly technicality.
we're not talking about Jets v1.0 vs the Wings in the playoffs where a player was 10 feet in the Jets' zone when the puck was brought back in and a goal was allowed.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
my gist?
if we're checking mm, let's first check if the player being offside has any relevance to the play/goal. in this case, the offside player had zero relevance. you're asking for a goal to be disallowed based on a silly technicality.
we're not talking about Jets v1.0 vs the Wings in the playoffs where a player was 10 feet in the Jets' zone when the puck was brought back in and a goal was allowed.

If challenges are going to be allowed, relevance isn’t the issue. Sorry. Offside is offside. The problem is that last night’s case actually appears to be way more offside than many previous cases i’ve seen in which goals were actually disallowed.

It’s a very good thing we didn’t end up losing by one goal last night...

Reactions: Jets 31

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
it just makes me really, really happy that we now claim Jets v1.0 as part of our "franchise records". not whitewashing what happened in Atlanta, but 7 years later, that chapter has become so irrelevant to Winnipeg sports fans' reckoning of team history

That chapter was irrelevant the day Jets 2.0 arrived afaic. I know almost nothing about the thrashers. Jets 1.0 and Jets 2.0 are a lineage, with a pause in between...

Reactions: HannuJ

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
That chapter was irrelevant the day Jets 2.0 arrived afaic. I know almost nothing about the thrashers. Jets 1.0 and Jets 2.0 are a lineage, with a pause in between...
well, you knew about Pavs and Kane and a lack of cookies in our cupboard.
but does anyone in winnipeg feel ANY connection to Ilya Kovalchuk?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad