Pre-Game Talk: It won't be a "Par-easy" win, need a good effort or will end up being "Zuckers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler Biggs*

JVR is a big time talent, he will be a key piece this coming Spring for a run at the Cup.

It's difficult to believe how easy (with all due respect to Luke Schenn) it was for Burke to pry JVR out of Phili. It's very odd the trades Phili makes. I am sure Phili could use JVR about now.

I still can't believe there was doubt at the time of the trade. JVR was, is, and always will be light years ahead of Schenn (and either of them at that) when it comes to playing their role in this league (he was a 2nd overall pick for a reason people).

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
JVR is a big time talent, he will be a key piece this coming Spring for a run at the Cup.

It's difficult to believe how easy (with all due respect to Luke Schenn) it was for Burke to pry JVR out of Phili. It's very odd the trades Phili makes. I am sure Phili could use JVR about now.

I still can't believe there was doubt at the time of the trade. JVR was, is, and always will be light years ahead of Schenn (and either of them at that) when it comes to playing their role in this league (he was a 2nd overall pick for a reason people).

I actually couldn't believe that there were people who were "against" this trade. Guys like Luke Schenn are a dime a dozen. Guys like JVR aren't easy to acquire. Always take the game breaking forward over some bottom pairing defensive defenseman.

Audi*

Nov 22, 2009
this is going to be our toughest game of the season so far. I was watching the minny game tonight and they are dam good

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada

I'm very excited about some of the new players this year, especially Bolland, but JVR is top of my list for players to watch this year. I totally agree with other posters on here that he's just going to explode this year. This could end up being one of the biggest steals in a long time. I don't watch many Philly games but the news coming from there sure isn't good.

Penalty Kill Icing*

If anyone wants to do GDT for this game, it is still available. If you start working on it, just say so in this or the signup thread so noone else puts in extra effort.

Billy Mays Here*

this is going to be our toughest game of the season so far. I was watching the minny game tonight and they are dam good

I wouldn't go that far, but I'd like to think that we're at least slightly improved over where we were last season. The goals still aren't there, but we've outplayed every opponent we've faced so far with Buffalo probably being the exception to that.

In any case, I am looking forward to this game and this should be a huge test. First back-to-back game of the season for us and against a very strong team. I'm becoming more and more of a Leafs fan and you guys have probably overtaken Philly now as my fav team in the East. Here's to a hopefully injury-free game and if we can just get one point or at least keep the game close I think I'll be happy. Really wish we would've gotten Bernier instead of you guys though. :cry:

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I think if you score first you can beat these guys. They really lock it down with the lead.

Audi*

Nov 22, 2009
I wouldn't go that far, but I'd like to think that we're at least slightly improved over where we were last season. The goals still aren't there, but we've outplayed every opponent we've faced so far with Buffalo probably being the exception to that.

In any case, I am looking forward to this game and this should be a huge test. First back-to-back game of the season for us and against a very strong team. I'm becoming more and more of a Leafs fan and you guys have probably overtaken Philly now as my fav team in the East. Here's to a hopefully injury-free game and if we can just get one point or at least keep the game close I think I'll be happy. Really wish we would've gotten Bernier instead of you guys though. :cry:

definitely improved over last season. and the numbers may not show it (not sure, didn't look at the stats) but i'd say minny definitely outplayed the sabres. you guys play a very strong puck possession game (especially during that stint in the 2nd period), and the talent is all there to do so. defence looks rock solid too and held of most of buffalos chances generated off the rush. goaltending was good enough.

Leafs are lucky they catch the wild on a back to back... But man, if those vanek to minny rumours end up coming true, you guys are going to make a big splash in the playoffs.

Billy Mays Here*

definitely improved over last season. and the numbers may not show it (not sure, didn't look at the stats) but i'd say minny definitely outplayed the sabres. you guys play a very strong puck possession game (especially during that stint in the 2nd period), and the talent is all there to do so. defence looks rock solid too and held of most of buffalos chances generated off the rush. goaltending was good enough.

Leafs are lucky they catch the wild on a back to back... But man, if those vanek to minny rumours end up coming true, you guys are going to make a big splash in the playoffs.

The Wild will not be trading for Vanek so put those rumors to bed. We already gave up a ton for Pommers and if Vanek is Minnesota bound, it's going to be via free agency. With such a large chunk of space already being given to Parise, Suter and Koivu though, I'm hesitant on whether or not I even want Vanek, especially if our younger forwards like Granlund, Coyle, Nino and Zucker show they're capable of playing a top 6 role. With all these young guys we have coming up, we need to maintain a good chunk of cap room so re-signing all of them is possible. Getting Vanek would be great, but not if it's for anything more than around $6.7 million a year.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
What's the over/under for Gunnarsson giveaways this game? This dude has been amazingly horrible.

Anyone else notice that six of the top 10 players for giveaways are Leafs? Headed none other than our boy Gunnar.

Makes sense that Bernier leads all goalies in giveaways as well lmao.

We are so lucky we play in the pathetic Eastern conference. The West would eat us alive.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON

Cheers. Always had a soft spot for the Wild, so I wish you guys luck this year (just not too much against us, of course). ;) I've got to say, those new away jerseys for the Wild are ****ing gorgeous. :cheers:

mkoivu9*

Who to start.

Bernier 3-1 against the Wild with 3 shutouts
Reimer 1-0 against Wild with 1 shutout

Not something a Wild fan wants to see :cry:

Excited to watch Phil.

Good luck boys. Should be a fun one.

mkoivu9*

The Wild might be coming off a back to back but we'd be making a mistake if we took them lightly and came out flat again in the first like we always do. They have some balance in their lineup. Parise, Koivu, Pominville up front. Some younger players in Coyle, Granlund, Brodin and some grit with Konopka, Mitchell, Cooke. Also a Norris Candidate on the blueline. They are starting to turn it around as a franchise.

Thinking Harding is in net though, good goaltender but not facing Backstrom is a plus.

Coyle is out a few more weeks with a sprained knee.

Backstrom is day to day with a knee strain. Apparently Mike Yeo rides him too much. Unsure of when hes coming back. They have recalled goaltender Darcy Kuemper until he gets back.

Not sure when Backstrom will be back. Hurt his knee when a Wild defender tripped Erik Nystrom on a breakaway and went flying into him.

Who's looking good for the Leafs so far other than the usual Lupul, Kessel? Thought I read somewhere Dion was playing well.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Not sure when Backstrom will be back. Hurt his knee when a Wild defender tripped Erik Nystrom on a breakaway and went flying into him.

Who's looking good for the Leafs so far other than the usual Lupul, Kessel? Thought I read somewhere Dion was playing well.

Phaneuf among defenseman is doing very, very well right now. Bernier has been very good in net. Among forwards Kessel has looked about his usual while Lupul and JvR in particular look beastly. Kadri has struggled some 5-on-5 but has been producing at PPG pace in limited PP time. Raymond and Bolland has been playing a very solid two-way game while putting up good numbers.

As a team we look like last year, except the physicality. A lot of chances against, but not all that many great chances. Not as many chances for, but a bigger-than-usual percentage of them are great chances. A team that is hard to read, I guess.

The Reaper

Men of Mayhem
Dec 29, 2010
Canada

Are you talking about goal scoring or something else? cause if it's goal scoring, we don't have a issue with that since we are 1st in the East in goal scoring

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
ugh have to get through the entire day waiting for this game! there should be excused absences when your team plays ;)

go leafs go, and see you guys in 9 hours!

[if anyone wants to snag an image for the GDT, since it's still available, you can use the "Where the Wild Things Are" image I played around with on the previous page. :)]

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Please Randy, break up the Franson-Rielly pairing. No mas, no mas. Phaneuf-Rielly, make it happen. You never listened to my Kessel-Grabo rants, now's your chance to pay me back.

EitherOr

Oct 13, 2013
Toronto, Ont

Was looking forward to seeing Coyle. Ah well. JVR is looking good. Bolland and Raymond have really worked out for us so far too. They've contributed some timely goals, which we've needed from them with a lot of guys out so early.

Last edited:

samyy

Apr 14, 2009
The fact that they are playing their backup/3rd goalie gives us a good chance, our offense has been on fire to start so if they can keep it up I like our chances.

However we need our D to step up now, with the Wild, Hawks and Anaheim coming up :(

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It took me a while to get that too. I was playing golf in GTA 5 and thought that the title had something to do with golf. Then I remembered that Parise wants his name pronounced "par-eazy" instead pf "pur-e-zay"

Contrary to what some may think, Parise is not a French surname, but of Italian origin and the correct pronounciation is Par-EE-see. However, the french-speaking Canadians added that accent mark over the "e" at the end which changed the pronounciation to the incorrect "Par-ee-ZAY".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad