GDT: Isles V. Kings | F/L 3-2

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
He benched Ho Sang the first game of the season and hasn't done so since. Doug Weight is not Jack Capuano, give me a break.

Beau with Barzal may be good, but once again you still need someone on that line to go to the net and go in the corners. I wouldn't be surprised if that line got overmatched against every team they play. World Juniors is a different ballgame than the NHL, it may have worked there but if they don't have a Lee or Eberle or Ladd with them it definitely won't work in the pros.

I don't hate Beauvillier, but people here are treating him like he is the answer to our PP woes and a top six forward when he clearly is not just yet. Pump the breaks.
I'm seeing a lot of similar traits between jack and Doug. This board went crazy after Doug benched ho sang which was basically for defensive reasons according to Doug. Don't be surprised if you see this happen again during the season.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Yeah, that makes absolutely zero sense. Players are usually given a rest towards the end of the year as the season starts to wear on them, not at the beginning when they are still fresh.

This is clearly not about giving Beau a rest, but if that's the illogical excuse you're still going with, have at it.

You are failing to see that Beau is not a player being given a rest at the end of the year when the team has clinched a playoff position. Your problem is that you are comparing him to an Ovi or Backstrom is that regard who are seasoned vets.

I mean... Why not play Halak the first 20 games of the year right? It won't hurt him in March because you can just give him some rest in March right? Because it obviously worked with Lee in his first playoff season and worked with Strome as well. You seriously don't see any of these smaller guys wearing down as the season goes on?

Anyone remember when Tavares went through a long drought in his first season?

I am not saying it is about giving Beauvillier a rest, but looking at how he fared last year over the full length of the season scoring wise it certainly won't hurt. You guys are up in arms about a 24 point scorer being benched tonight. I like him, but he is not JHS or Barzal at this point either.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I'm seeing a lot of similar traits between jack and Doug. This board went crazy after Doug benched ho sang which was basically for defensive reasons according to Doug. Don't be surprised if you see this happen again during the season.

Would you say that Ho Sang is good defensively though? I mean let's not act like he isn't the highest risk/reward player this team has had in a looonnggggg time.

I would also argue with Cappy JHS is already benched, the guy generates a ton of scoring chances but it is for both sides. Cappy would have already killed the creativity in him.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Not expecting to see Pulock until we have our next home game, no problem there.

Don't love seeing Beau sat though.

Reactions: Eberzal

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Not a fan of weights decision. I’m slowly souring on him. Beau was playing well, contributes in more ways than Chimmer, and this sends a bad message. Play the kid he deserves it!

Reactions: Islesfan22

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
You are failing to see that Beau is not a player being given a rest at the end of the year when the team has clinched a playoff position. Your problem is that you are comparing him to an Ovi or Backstrom is that regard who are seasoned vets.

I mean... Why not play Halak the first 20 games of the year right? It won't hurt him in March because you can just give him some rest in March right? Because it obviously worked with Lee in his first playoff season and worked with Strome as well. You seriously don't see any of these smaller guys wearing down as the season goes on?

Anyone remember when Tavares went through a long drought in his first season?

I am not saying it is about giving Beauvillier a rest, but looking at how he fared last year over the full length of the season scoring wise it certainly won't hurt. You guys are up in arms about a 24 point scorer being benched tonight. I like him, but he is not JHS or Barzal at this point either.
Yes! That's exactly it, Weight scratchs Beauvillier in 2 consecutive games so that he can be in shape in the month of January! He's a visionary that Weight!

Reactions: Konk

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I wonder if Weight sitting some of the young guys has anything to do with trying to keep them healthy and not worn down as the season goes on. I know they’re young and one would think young players have more in the tank than older ones, but the one thing older players have over the young guys is they know what it takes to get through a season. They’re used to the wear and tear that your body goes through in the course of the season. We’ve seen many instances where some of our young guys looked exuasted by the end of the season, so maybe giving them a game or two off here and there wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Not a fan of weights decision. I’m slowly souring on him. Beau was playing well, contributes in more ways than Chimmer, and this sends a bad message. Play the kid he deserves it!
Exactly that. If we have to go to the merit, Beauvillier does not deserve to be scratched 2 games in a row, which is what YearlyLottery does not seem to understand; it is not just a question of statistics. I do not care if Beauvillier had only 24 points last season, that's how he plays now that counts. And from what I saw, he provokes many things in the offense (with a little luck, it could easily have more than one goal and this, again, without having time on ice on the power play.)

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Yes! That's exactly it, Weight scratchs Beauvillier in 2 consecutive games so that he can be in shape in the month of January! He's a visionary that Weight!

Reading comprehension would help here. I am not saying that this is the reason Weight did it, but the fact that you ignore Strome, Lee, Nelson, and all younger players wearing down throughout the year is absurd and goes to show your knowledge level of sports in general.

Sorry I don't believe a 20 year old is going to hold up for a full season. Try to read an entire post before you respond with a sarcastic response, it would certainly help your argument a little bit more I think. I didn't even say I agreed with it, just said I saw potential reasoning for it.

Buuttttt I forgot to some people that warrants a sarcastic response with no base to it at all. I mean at least with Konk and everybody who disagreed to me they gave me an actual response. Congratulations for bringing nothing of substance to the conversation, I mean Beauvillier played so well last year with his twenty four points eh?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Exactly that. If we have to go to the merit, Beauvillier does not deserve to be scratched 2 games in a row, which is what YearlyLottery does not seem to understand; it is not just a question of statistics. I do not care if Beauvillier had only 24 points last season, that's how he plays now that counts. And from what I saw, he provokes many things in the offense (with a little luck, it could easily have more than one goal and this, again, without having time on ice on the power play.)

Luck? And with a little luck the PP would have scored a goal by now, but I don't see people making excuses for the PP. Beauvillier looks good now, it doesn't mean that he has magically learned how to hold up over an entire season (he didn't know last year).

The only reason people are making a big deal out of this is because it is a young player who is highly perceived around here. Would I personally have benched Chimera for Beauvillier? I probably would have (especially for tonight since Chimmer did not impress last night) but it is also not the end of the world. They would have had a very small lineup against a team that would have manhandled them tonight.

So let's stop acting like I agree with benching Beauvillier, because I do not.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Reading comprehension would help here. I am not saying that this is the reason Weight did it, but the fact that you ignore Strome, Lee, Nelson, and all younger players wearing down throughout the year is absurd and goes to show your knowledge level of sports in general.

Sorry I don't believe a 20 year old is going to hold up for a full season. Try to read an entire post before you respond with a sarcastic response, it would certainly help your argument a little bit more I think. I didn't even say I agreed with it, just said I saw potential reasoning for it.

Buuttttt I forgot to some people that warrants a sarcastic response with no base to it at all. I mean at least with Konk and everybody who disagreed to me they gave me an actual response. Congratulations for bringing nothing of substance to the conversation, I mean Beauvillier played so well last year with his twenty four points eh?
Oh, I understood exactly what you're getting at, but I wanted to be sarcastic anyway! Your reasoning has not left me the choice!

You make your line-up with the players who play best now. If Beauvillier (or another) shows signs of fatigue, that's when you scratched the player to give him a break (not when he is playing well!)

You like to talk about Beauvillier's 24 points (as if it were bad!), well here is a stat that may surprise you: Beauvillier maintained an average of 1.68 points per 60 minutes at ES whereas at the same age, Tavares maintained an average of 1.54.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm using it as an excuse because what is the point of sitting the guy in January when he is already worn down? That is like saying sit Halak for a few games in March because you played him too much in November. The damage is already done at that point.

He has been playing well, the Isles also have looked overmatched early on in the season against some bigger teams.

I like Beauvillier a lot, but to say he creates more offense than Chimera is laughable at best. The guy had 24 points last year, while Chimera had 20 goals. He also has one point so far this year, is that really what you call a guy who can "create offense"?

I don't want to side with the guy who is sitting Beau but you guys are making it easy. Beauvillier is small, young, and not experienced... So let's play him 82 games a year!
Beau creates more offense than Kulemin and that’s not debatable.

Not everybody here is looking for Chimera to be scratched.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

Kulemin kills penalties & is JT's partner, I can't see Dougie opting to take him out.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Put me on the side that feels like put in Pulock. Simple fact a with abetter PP we probably are 3-1-1 or 2-1-2 instead of 2-2-1

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Oh, I understood exactly what you're getting at, but I wanted to be sarcastic anyway! Your reasoning has not left me the choice!

You make your line-up with the players who play best now. If Beauvillier (or another) shows signs of fatigue, that's when you scratched the player to give him a break (not when he is playing well!)

You like to talk about Beauvillier's 24 points (as if it were bad!), well here is a stat that may surprise you: Beauvillier maintained an average of 1.68 points per 60 minutes at ES whereas at the same age, Tavares maintained an average of 1.54.

So I am the one who is out to lunch but you are trying to compare Beau to Tavares? They are not similar in any sort of way as of now. That's a reach.

They aren't benching one of their top PKers.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
So I am the one who is out to lunch but you are trying to compare Beau to Tavares? They are not similar in any sort of way as of now. That's a reach.
I don't compare Beauvillier to Tavares; but rather to point out that the 24 points of Beauvillier last season, which you seem to make fun of, was far from bad and he generates more offense than you think.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I said I wouldn’t be up for lasts nights game, ended up watching the whole thing. I’ll probablt watch one period of this one. Don’t wanna jinx myself again.
I’m not a fan of the way Weight is handling the lineup early on. I really hope there is a method to his madness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad