GDT: Isles V. Kings | F/L 3-2

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I mean I get it by Weight though. While I would like some changes in the lines the team won last night and I have a feeling he switches the lineup against the Rangers on Thursday regardless of what happens tonight.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I mean I get it by Weight though. While I would like some changes in the lines the team won last night and I have a feeling he switches the lineup against the Rangers on Thursday regardless of what happens tonight.

I don't care if they won 20-0 last night. The powerplay is 0-18 and you have 2 skilled players sitting in the press box so Jason f***ing Chimera can play.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I don't care if they won 20-0 last night. The powerplay is 0-18 and you have 2 skilled players sitting in the press box so Jason ****ing Chimera can play.

I understand, I would love to see Pulock play but I understand why the move was made. Beauvillier should not have been sat for Chimera in the first place, but these west coast swings are not the norm for the team either. These teams are much bigger than the Islanders and I think Weight is trying to play a bit of a bigger lineup against them.

I want to see Pulock and Beauvillier play but how about we just let them run this lineup against LA tonight and see what happens?

People forget how quickly some of the younger guys have worn down throughout the season (see Beauvillier last year), I have no problem with them sitting a game here and then to attempt to not wear them down.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I understand, I would love to see Pulock play but I understand why the move was made. Beauvillier should not have been sat for Chimera in the first place, but these west coast swings are not the norm for the team either. These teams are much bigger than the Islanders and I think Weight is trying to play a bit of a bigger lineup against them.

I want to see Pulock and Beauvillier play but how about we just let them run this lineup against LA tonight and see what happens?

People forget how quickly some of the younger guys have worn down throughout the season (see Beauvillier last year), I have no problem with them sitting a game here and then to attempt to not wear them down.
Beauvillier played his best hockey at the end of the year.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Beauvillier played his best hockey at the end of the year.

It doesn't mean that he did not wear down in months like January. I mean if I need to look the stats up I will, but it's not exactly like he had a banner year last year. He played like a third liner for the majority of the year. Nothing to write home about.

I mean you see it every year with Nelson, you saw it with Strome in his rookie year, saw it with Lee the year we played the Caps, and the examples go on and on and on and on. If you don't think Beauvillier will wear down at all this year when you play him every single game then you are out to lunch. Go ahead and play him 82 games and watch what happens.

Reactions: Svengoolie

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Would make sense to play Beau and sit Chimera considering back to back also age of Chimera. I cannot understand for the life of me why Pulock has not been given a chance yet. The pp is God Awful yet he continues to role the same lines and not use a cannon of a shot like Pulock. Ho sang should be be on the first unit and i would drop Leddy as well. Need to change something yet Weight keeps rolling the same players with no end product.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
It doesn't mean that he did not wear down in months like January. I mean if I need to look the stats up I will, but it's not exactly like he had a banner year last year. He played like a third liner for the majority of the year. Nothing to write home about.

I mean you see it every year with Nelson, you saw it with Strome in his rookie year, saw it with Lee the year we played the Caps, and the examples go on and on and on and on. If you don't think Beauvillier will wear down at all this year when you play him every single game then you are out to lunch. Go ahead and play him 82 games and watch what happens.
If Beau was struggling i could understand but he has been playing well.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Last night’s lineup was lucky to win. The only way Weight changes the lineup against the Rags is if we lose tonight or someone gets injured.

So I ask, why keep scratching young players who could create offense on a team that has no power play goals and has a negative goal differential?

Konk

Mar 11, 2008

I'm just curious why you are using "wearing down through the year" as an excuse for sitting him in back-to-back games in mid-October? Wouldn't it make more sense to sit him in January, when the season starts to wear on him? There's no logic in your argument.

Weight is favoring the vets and traditional pecking order, that's all he's really doing. His lineups are not based on merit. If they were, guys like Chimera and de Haan who have played like dog shit would be sitting.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm just curious why you are using "wearing down through the year" as an excuse for sitting him in back-to-back games in mid-October? Wouldn't it make more sense to sit him in January, when the season starts to wear on him? There's no logic in your argument.

Weight is favoring the vets and traditional pecking order, that's all he's really doing. His lineups are not based on merit. If they were, guys like Chimera and de Haan who have played like dog **** would be sitting.
All this after Weight made a point of saying during training camp that players who are producing will play whether they’re rookies of vets.

Reactions: Konk and Eberzal

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
What I don't understand is that the veterans on this team have had years to do something, yet they come up short every year and our coaches just keep rolling them out there as if doing the same thing over and over is going to give us a different result. Take some risks. Making the comfortable play has not worked.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
All this after Weight made a point of saying during training camp that players who are producing will play whether they’re rookies of vets.
Proof is in the pudding. Can't bench Ho Sang as he's producing. Barzal is playing well creating chances but if he does not produce any points he will be the next to sit not a veteran who doesn't produce points or create chances.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Saw that Sens fans posted that they have the best PP in NHL. They use pinpoint passing and move pucks well. Suggest that Isles scout their games to see how it is done.

Isles need to identify their go to guys on both PP units and have 1 extra guy who is good at deflecting and pounce on rebounds. Also do not be shy to shoot pucks on net from all angles as goals can deflect off anyone standing in front of the net. The key is to also to use fake shots and passes to take a PK guy out of position. Do not let the goalie read every moves you make. Timing is factor so definitely you want to win faceoff and have good possession and entry.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Proof is in the pudding. Can't bench Ho Sang as he's producing. Barzal is playing well creating chances but if he does not produce any points he will be the next to sit not a veteran who doesn't produce points or create chances.
But you can bench Kulemin and you can bench Chimera. What have they done to warrant getting more ice time at the expense of Beauvillier?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Weight is favoring the vets and traditional pecking order, that's all he's really doing. His lineups are not based on merit. If they were, guys like Chimera and de Haan who have played like dog **** would be sitting.

I'm using it as an excuse because what is the point of sitting the guy in January when he is already worn down? That is like saying sit Halak for a few games in March because you played him too much in November. The damage is already done at that point.

If Beau was struggling i could understand but he has been playing well.

He has been playing well, the Isles also have looked overmatched early on in the season against some bigger teams.

Last night’s lineup was lucky to win. The only way Weight changes the lineup against the Rags is if we lose tonight or someone gets injured.

So I ask, why keep scratching young players who could create offense on a team that has no power play goals and has a negative goal differential?

I like Beauvillier a lot, but to say he creates more offense than Chimera is laughable at best. The guy had 24 points last year, while Chimera had 20 goals. He also has one point so far this year, is that really what you call a guy who can "create offense"?

I don't want to side with the guy who is sitting Beau but you guys are making it easy. Beauvillier is small, young, and not experienced... So let's play him 82 games a year!

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I'm using it as an excuse because what is the point of sitting the guy in January when he is already worn down? That is like saying sit Halak for a few games in March because you played him too much in November. The damage is already done at that point.

He has been playing well, the Isles also have looked overmatched early on in the season against some bigger teams.

I like Beauvillier a lot, but to say he creates more offense than Chimera is laughable at best. The guy had 24 points last year, while Chimera had 20 goals. He also has one point so far this year, is that really what you call a guy who can "create offense"?

I don't want to side with the guy who is sitting Beau but you guys are making it easy. Beauvillier is small, young, and not experienced... So let's play him 82 games a year!
I would love to see Beau with Barzal. Beau from what I've seen has the best slapper on the team. Combination worked well when they played for team Canada a couple of years ago. I don't mind the rotating but Weight seems to favor the vets over younger players just like cappy did. He already benched Ho sang and will again as soon as he has a bad game.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
is it crazy to try a 5 forward PP at this point? Its scary but 0-18. Leddy is useless out there

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I would love to see Beau with Barzal. Beau from what I've seen has the best slapper on the team. Combination worked well when they played for team Canada a couple of years ago. I don't mind the rotating but Weight seems to favor the vets over younger players just like cappy did. He already benched Ho sang and will again as soon as he has a bad game.

He benched Ho Sang the first game of the season and hasn't done so since. Doug Weight is not Jack Capuano, give me a break.

Beau with Barzal may be good, but once again you still need someone on that line to go to the net and go in the corners. I wouldn't be surprised if that line got overmatched against every team they play. World Juniors is a different ballgame than the NHL, it may have worked there but if they don't have a Lee or Eberle or Ladd with them it definitely won't work in the pros.

I don't hate Beauvillier, but people here are treating him like he is the answer to our PP woes and a top six forward when he clearly is not just yet. Pump the breaks.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I think Barzal and Ebs will have chemistry. Beau nees to play and he will add threat to any lines he is on with his speed and tenacity. Bailey need to get a jolt and maybe playing JT will be exactly that. He is not that great a shooter but he can make some moves and get the pucks to JT and he can be the back checker on that line.

Do not sit the kids unless they have a real bad game or is hurt. I would probably sit out Kuleman more as his contract is expiring this year & likely not figured in Isles plan next season. Any chance that Isles can acquire JVD from Toronto with a Pulock trade? Get him now before he is offered to another team, especially one in Metro. May also need to move a contract to make room for him.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Yeah, that makes absolutely zero sense. Players are usually given a rest towards the end of the year as the season starts to wear on them, not at the beginning when they are still fresh.

This is clearly not about giving Beau a rest, but if that's the illogical excuse you're still going with, have at it.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Makes no sense to scratch Beau for the 2nd straight game.

And with the PP struggling to score, you need to have someone from the point like Pulock.
Nah we can just have Bailey sit at the point and have everyone else look like a 95 year old trying to use an iPhone for the first time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->