GDT: Isles V. Kings | F/L 3-2

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Some thoughts after last night:

Barzal is getting noticeably better every game and everyone is noticing it (even butch). Time to move somebody that could skate on his line. Ladd and Bailey are useless. It's amazing how he gets into the zone with speed and then its just "oh look, nobody's here"

Emphasis on Ladd being useless. Doesn't even have a quick release right now, he could score when he has time and space. Most players can.

Faceoffs murdered us last night. Not only did we lose them but we lost a lot of them clean.

The players don't even know what to do with the puck when they get it inside on the powerplay because NOBODY IS ON THIER SHOOTING SIDE. Can they players not just tell doug that it doesn't work?

4th line had a much better game and we're pretty decent on the forecheck last night

Pelech and Mayfield, they look NHL caliber

Ho-sang had a rough game but that's gonna happen sometimes. Would like to see him more involved in the defensive zone and neutral zone. He kinda just swings his stick around

JT looked like Bailey last night, especially missing that empty net.

Next game I go:
Lee-JT-Bailey
Beau-Barzal-Eberle
Ladd-Nelson-JHS
Kulemin-cizikas-clutterbuck

Think that second line has a lot of potential

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

Barzal is getting noticeably better every game and everyone is noticing it (even butch). Time to move somebody that could skate on his line. Ladd and Bailey are useless. It's amazing how he gets into the zone with speed and then its just "oh look, nobody's here"

Emphasis on Ladd being useless. Doesn't even have a quick release right now, he could score when he has time and space. Most players can.

Faceoffs murdered us last night. Not only did we lose them but we lost a lot of them clean.

The players don't even know what to do with the puck when they get it inside on the powerplay because NOBODY IS ON THIER SHOOTING SIDE. Can they players not just tell doug that it doesn't work?

4th line had a much better game and we're pretty decent on the forecheck last night

Pelech and Mayfield, they look NHL caliber

Ho-sang had a rough game but that's gonna happen sometimes. Would like to see him more involved in the defensive zone and neutral zone. He kinda just swings his stick around

Next game I go:
Lee-JT-Bailey
Beau-Barzal-Eberle
Ladd-Nelson-JHS
Kulemin-cizikas-clutterbuck

Think that second line has a lot of potential

I agree with your lines. Also Brock and JHS seem to have some chemistry so I like that 3rd line as well

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Wow --- thats rough....

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
It's sad when you get more excited watching Barzal with the puck than you do with JT. Barzal skates and makes things happen. He is the only one out there moving around. JT has been so lethargic and slow. I don't get excited with the puck on his stick anymore.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
This team has terrible bad habits, that appear to be un-phased with a coaching change...

Team needed to hire an experienced coach, Weight's run last year was the new coach smell..... and then it faded... aren't you the Stevens supporter here... looks like he is coaching masterfully with the Kings.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Team needed to hire an experienced coach, Weight's run last year was the new coach smell..... and then it faded... aren't you the Stevens supporter here... looks like he is coaching masterfully with the Kings.

Yes, I vocally had Stevens on my radar for years.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Well...hes not being rolled out at all, so I can see why saying Quine being in over Beau is foolish. In all honesty, JHS needs to sit for a game to realize he is a rookie and cannot turn the puck over 10 times a game. SH-GWG was on him. I don't want to neuter the kid, but he needs to be responsible in his creativity.

Quine is hurt, but the team is carrying a bunch of riverboat gamblers which makes for very exciting hockey... Barzal and JHS are guys that can break into the offensive zone and I will put up with rookie errors from them, but carrying a 3rd kid within the 12... that compounds things especially after we dump a dman on Montreal and Pulock is playing, it will be error city. You need guys like Bailey, Quine, Clutter that play it safe otherwise teams with speed are going to murder us.

I like Beau but if Beau is sitting 2 games in a row and best hope is 4th line Center, then he should get to play in the AHL, don't want to create Strome 2.0, Donovan 3.0 etc...

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Quine is hurt, but the team is carrying a bunch of riverboat gamblers which makes for very exciting hockey... Barzal and JHS are guys that can break into the offensive zone and I will put up with rookie errors from them, but carrying a 3rd kid within the 12... that compounds things especially after we dump a dman on Montreal and Pulock is playing, it will be error city. You need guys like Bailey, Quine, Clutter that play it safe otherwise teams with speed are going to murder us.

I like Beau but if Beau is sitting 2 games in a row and best hope is 4th line Center, then he should get to play in the AHL, don't want to create Strome 2.0, Donovan 3.0 etc...

Oh I agree. I don't think beau should be the 4th line center, but I also don't think he did anything to warrant being benched. He actually played really well with JHS and I would like to see him play with him. Guys like Ladd, Kulimen, and Chimera, have brought nothing through 6 games.

I understand the wanting for JHS to play and succeed. I expect mistakes, but he forces plays TOO often right now. He turned the puck over twice in 10 seconds in SJ. I chalked it up to pressing and wanting to do more. Then the awful PP pass last night was where I thought he needs to be reigned in a bit. Being smart doesn't mean not being aggressive.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Oh I agree. I don't think beau should be the 4th line center, but I also don't think he did anything to warrant being benched. He actually played really well with JHS and I would like to see him play with him. Guys like Ladd, Kulimen, and Chimera, have brought nothing through 6 games.

I understand the wanting for JHS to play and succeed. I expect mistakes, but he forces plays TOO often right now. He turned the puck over twice in 10 seconds in SJ. I chalked it up to pressing and wanting to do more. Then the awful PP pass last night was where I thought he needs to be reigned in a bit. Being smart doesn't mean not being aggressive.

I think you have to let the young guys play, and JHS will make some dumb passes and take off without the puck, Barzal will be very Comeau like with his head down skating and Beau will take dumb penalties.

I kill Kulemin but I think other posters have illustrated he does a lot of good things without the puck actually think he should be LW for a line with Barzal and Eberle. He could be the Lee for that line.

Ladd has been bad and probably will wake up when Quine is healty because Quine centers a slower line for him.

Chimera makes errors at the same rate as the kids, first time I call a player unsavvy veteran, but he can fight and gets into places to score.

Beau is not as good as Barzal and JHS and will have to wait for the 2017/2018 UFA purge to get perm minutes on this team

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
We have to face that we are not a SC contending team this year.
We are a bubble wild card team if things go a bit better than the start of the season.
I am still seeing the inconsistent effort that drives us nuts. They start slow and give up early leads.
The have some stong sustained effort just to show that they can, but then it is followed by stupid and costly penalties or reverting to uninspired play with no push back when attacked.
If we can ever get a 3 goal lead to the 3rd period we might just see whether we retained the ability we had to collapse and lose under those circumstances also.

In summary, this team as constructed has not shown any improvement over prior Islander teams through 6 games. It could be a very lounge season culminating in Tavares taking a hike and us getting nothing in return. It is so New York Islanders.

Reactions: Svengoolie

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
Is it just me or does anyone else feel like this team has played the exact same boring game for about 12 years now? Seems like it doesn’t matter who the coach is or who the players are… It looks exactly the same. Just mind numbingly boring to watch…

Reactions: Konk

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I kill Kulemin but I think other posters have illustrated he does a lot of good things without the puck actually think he should be LW for a line with Barzal and Eberle. He could be the Lee for that line.

Lee and Kuli are very different players. But I agree Kuli is a good defensive forward, he has good defensive IQ, can grind it out, decent wheels, makes safe plays. At 3 mil. he’s a good bottom sixer.

But I really don’t see the similarity to Lee outside of his tendency to keep the game simple.

Reactions: Svengoolie

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
This ridiculous PP is going to be the death of this team. I have never seen NHL caliber players move the puck so slow before. They make it so simple for opposing PKers. Just exert pressure until they fumble the puck because they wait too long to make the pass. Hockey 101, let the puck do the work...

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Lee and Kuli are very different players. But I agree Kuli is a good defensive forward, he has good defensive IQ, can grind it out, decent wheels, makes safe plays. At 3 mil. he’s a good bottom sixer.

But I really don’t see the similarity to Lee outside of his tendency to keep the game simple.

The guy scored 30 goals earlier in his career and that is either a massive anomaly or he can put the puck in the net in some capacity. Kulemin when he plays with JT goes to the net and can get goals, if you put him and sizable frame in front of the near with Eberle and Barzal buzzing all over, he may be quick enough to get some garbage goals while still supplying a screen.. sort of what Lee does on the 1st line. Ladd is too slow to play with Barzal for sure.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
How has Lee looked? I'm on the verge of benching him in my hockey pool

He looks fine to me. Scored a big goal against SJ. They are still adjusting to their new line mate and struggling mightily on the PP. That's not helping Lee i'm sure. He'll be fine this season. Must be a small league if you are already benching a guy five games in even after he's scored a goal.

Hagstrom

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
He looks fine to me. Scored a big goal against SJ. They are still adjusting to their new line mate and struggling mightily on the PP. That's not helping Lee i'm sure. He'll be fine this season. Must be a small league if you are already benching a guy five games in even after he's scored a goal.
He's tied for my 2nd least productive forward of 12 (with 2 points) and I have Rantanen on the bench with 6 points

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
How has Lee looked? I'm on the verge of benching him in my hockey pool
What works one game may not work the next with him but works enough to score 34 goals.

So he will get 2 goals in 6 games and then 5 goals in the next 6. Just how he is.

Reactions: Hagstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad