Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I don't think JHS is doing that bad 18 points in 32 games isn't great, but he plays 3rd line AHL minutes..at least compare pound for pound to other third liners in the league. I bet you he's top scoring for that. MDC has 14 games and 2 points more..that to me isn't real hot.

We have one of the top goalie prospects in the league....most of our recent picks already graduated ..they were that good.

We stole Aho and that kid will be an NHLer, no question about it.

Bellows seems above average

MVS and Wotherspoon may not make it next year, but I think they'll see a game or two next year covering for any injuries and I really do want to see Burroughs play.

We have Toews and Quennville! Both look exciting

Then there's Golyshev.....sure the Russians will take longer getting here, but they look like they'll make it...

The one thing and ONLY thing to be depressed about is our current goalie situation because Sorokin is not coming here for at least 3 years.

What I am trying to say is that we are not in as bad a prospect situation as you guys claim we are.
I think it's pretty bad. And Ho-Sang did not play on the 3rd line for all the games (only recently he was transferred there). Ho-Sang has to do better than that and at 22, he is indeed supposed to do better than that playing in the AHL. And your message as a whole seems weird. Looks like you try to make us believe that you're "excited" by our prospects, but in reality, you seems to doubt it!

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Ho sang is entering Ryan Strome territory. I don't think he wil ever be an impact player for the islanders.
Strome was demoted and told he needed to develop a 200 ft game. He did work on improving his defense. Unfortunately, after his rookie season his offense stalled.
I never thought Strome had the speed and skill JHS has.

Reactions: SI and SI90

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Strome was demoted and told he needed to develop a 200 ft game. He did work on improving his defense. Unfortunately, after his rookie season his offense stalled.
Neither has Ho Sang improved his 200ft game and this is his second demotion. Since Ho sang has gone down he has sulked and has not looked good according to posters who have seen him play at Bridgeport. Kids confidence is obviously low.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Never had the skill? Or wasn't as dynamic?

IMO, I think a guy like Ho-Sang just looks more dynamic than Strome, but I'm not sure he's got more "skill". It's kind of like Barzal and Tavares. One guy looks more flashy and dynamic (Barzal), but I'm not sure he's more skilled than the other. His "skill" is just more in an obvious way, while the other is less flashy, more subtle.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

IMO, I think a guy like Ho-Sang just looks more dynamic than Strome, but I'm not sure he's got more "skill". It's kind of like Barzal and Tavares. One guy looks more flashy and dynamic (Barzal), but I'm not sure he's more skilled than the other. His "skill" is just more in an obvious way, while the other is less flashy, more subtle.

This is actually a really great point and I’ve often made the same statement when people are quick to say Barzal is already better Tavares. Tavares isn’t a speed demon or high octane type player. He’s methodical and he’s one of the smartest hockey players I have ever seen play.

Back to the original question. Strome had tons of skill and wasn’t McDAvid Barzal Mackinnon Ho-Sang fast but he had decent above average speed. As someone who watched them both from juniors and on the islanders I’d say that Ho-Sang actually is a bit more skilled. Strome rarely stickhandled at his top speed the way other great skill guys do. He was mostly top of the circles and in. Whereas Ho-Sang can start behind his own net and go top speed end to end with the puck on a string.

The key for Ho-Sang is playing with out the puck and when his team doesn’t have possession. He also needs to learn how to make the simple play sometimes and not always try to force the play.

Reactions: dood

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I gave Strome more credit then other posters for his defense.
Did he sacrifice offense for D?

The Tavares/Barzal point is an interesting one.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I expect them to ruin him like MDC. I just think this whole org sees things
Only one way and unfortunately it’s the wrong way
Lol MDC wasn't ruined by this organization. He was ruined by his own deficiencies as a player (and the fact he never improved them)

Blame the drafting, sure (although he was the consensus pick), but what were they supposed to do? Have him play in the NHL? He's just not good.

Reactions: PROMputt and dood

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Lol MDC wasn't ruined by this organization. He was ruined by his own deficiencies as a player (and the fact he never improved them)

Blame the drafting, sure (although he was the consensus pick), but what were they supposed to do? Have him play in the NHL? He's just not good.

Seeing Snow trade Nino in a hissy fit, after Nino and his rep admitted he had no leverage to force a trade I expect the isles to crap the bed with JHS.
The arrogance from the organization over the years has been laughable because they have had so little success and no reason to be arrogant.

Reactions: norwegianislander

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This is actually a really great point and I’ve often made the same statement when people are quick to say Barzal is already better Tavares. Tavares isn’t a speed demon or high octane type player. He’s methodical and he’s one of the smartest hockey players I have ever seen play.

Back to the original question. Strome had tons of skill and wasn’t McDAvid Barzal Mackinnon Ho-Sang fast but he had decent above average speed. As someone who watched them both from juniors and on the islanders I’d say that Ho-Sang actually is a bit more skilled. Strome rarely stickhandled at his top speed the way other great skill guys do. He was mostly top of the circles and in. Whereas Ho-Sang can start behind his own net and go top speed end to end with the puck on a string.

The key for Ho-Sang is playing with out the puck and when his team doesn’t have possession. He also needs to learn how to make the simple play sometimes and not always try to force the play.

Re: the bolded.

I think that goes back to what I'm saying. Ho-Sang is clearly the better puck handler than Strome. But when I think of "more skilled", I'm including all the tools needed to be a producer (ie. puckhandling, passing, vision, hockey IQ, shooting, etc.).

I'd say a guy like Adam Oates is just as skilled as a guy like Alex Kovalev even though it's in a completely different way. Kovalev could skate circles around Oates, stickhandle in a phone booth, and provide hundreds of clips worthy of Youtube highlights. Meanwhile, Oates simply produced with great playmaking, vision, hockey IQ, and consistency.

It might actually just be different definitions of "skill", but for me I see the word "skill" as encompassing more than just ability to stickhandle at top speed or deke around defensemen. It's why even though a guy like, say, Patrick Kane is a better dangler/stickhandler, I wouldn't say he's more skilled than Crosby.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Re: the bolded.

I think that goes back to what I'm saying. Ho-Sang is clearly the better puck handler than Strome. But when I think of "more skilled", I'm including all the tools needed to be a producer (ie. puckhandling, passing, vision, hockey IQ, shooting, etc.).

I'd say a guy like Adam Oates is just as skilled as a guy like Alex Kovalev even though it's in a completely different way. Kovalev could skate circles around Oates, stickhandle in a phone booth, and provide hundreds of clips worthy of Youtube highlights. Meanwhile, Oates simply produced with great playmaking, vision, hockey IQ, and consistency.

It might actually just be different definitions of "skill", but for me I see the word "skill" as encompassing more than just ability to stickhandle at top speed or deke around defensemen. It's why even though a guy like, say, Patrick Kane is a better dangler/stickhandler, I wouldn't say he's more skilled than Crosby.

Great example STK.

Oates was slow, small, terrible shot, he's be awful in a skills competition and probably never made a AAA team in Minor hockey - but boy could he just play and produce

Ho-Sang loves the pretty goals and end to end rushes and at times he looks like the best player on the ice. But he doesn't actually produce enough for all that raw talent. We can blame the coaches and player development because it's not like the Islanders ever develop much, but the fact is, Ho-Sang didn't have much time to get things together and it's both with and without the puck.

No guarantee he makes it. Despite the skill.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Seeing Snow trade Nino in a hissy fit, after Nino and his rep admitted he had no leverage to force a trade I expect the isles to crap the bed with JHS.
The arrogance from the organization over the years has been laughable because they have had so little success and no reason to be arrogant.

Basically, if I'm Snow, I call up Bergevin after the season and offer him Ho-Sang, Dal Colle, and Mayfield for Galchenyuk.

See if he bites, 'cause he like, sometimes does.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Ho-Sang has great physical tools with the speed, stick handling, passing. Strome coming out of the draft had the "High Hockey IQ" label and Pierre McGuire said Islander fans will be excited for strome highlights on youtube( not a great thing, but it is what it is.) Either way, strome and JHS have different trajectories. JHS still has time while after Strome's rookie year,it didn't look good and goodbye. At this point, we just need consistent prospects in all positions. Yea speed and skill is needed, so finding guys that have speed and other physical skills that will be solid, while focusing on the Mental skill (hockey IQ, vision, etc) that mental side should be the bigger focus. The team that is consisted of "Hockey players" that think the game the right way will be more consistent in the long-term.
As for MDC, there wasn't anything that stood out, that went WOW other then his shot. Thats nice to have but at 5th overall, you need abit of a complete player there. Same thing in 2012 with Reinhart, a defensive d-man at 4th overall, who scouts said "his game can be more complete if he used his body more" should have stood out more to Isles scouts.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
i bet that Thompson is telling them that they need to learn the defensive side of the game, or they don't play. tough love, and i like it.

And I remember Mike Keenan NOT telling Pavel Bure to play defense . . . bring him up and make it clear that this time is his last chance to play smart, or be traded. But wasting him in the AHL is counterproductive right now. It's not like we are going anywhere this season either.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
What are you talking about? Ho Sang has barely played for us. Lets pump the breaks on that real quick.
he's a - player in the AHL and NHL. has a long way to go, IMO. i think if he really wanted to, he COULD be an impact player, but he doesn't seem to have the plums...
(insert Will Ferrell pic here. i am too lazy to).

but hey, he's young. lots of time.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
I expect them to ruin him like MDC. I just think this whole org sees things
Only one way and unfortunately it’s the wrong way

Ridiculous post, MDC had a very standard development route to the NHL, his inability to develop into an NHL player started showing itself in junior. I get people are frustrated, we all are. But MDC being ruined by the Isles is absurd.

Reactions: dood

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Ridiculous post, MDC had a very standard development route to the NHL, his inability to develop into an NHL player started showing itself in junior. I get people are frustrated, we all are. But MDC being ruined by the Isles is absurd.

MDC is a guy you develop a very specific way for his role. His skill set since drafted screamed "complimentary winger." I always saw him as the Chris Kunitz of whatever line he would be on. But for some reason this team doesn't like to develop players like that. Or even have talent around them at the AHL level to assist with development.

There is a reason MDC produces with JHS. He finishes what the skill guys start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad