Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
What should we expect of Toews next year? The Isles need puck moving D with speed. He was just about NHL ready before he got hurt. Is it unreasonable to think he can start with the Isles or does he need half a season cause he missed so much time.

Depends how his rehab and offseason training goes. If he bulks up more but keeps his speed/hockey sense he could grab a spot pending on who we add.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Depends how his rehab and offseason training goes. If he bulks up more but keeps his speed/hockey sense he could grab a spot pending on who we add.

Thanks for the comments. I wonder if his injury will hold him back from bulking up this summer. I haven't heard anything from Isles regarding his rehab.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
What should we expect of Toews next year? The Isles need puck moving D with speed. He was just about NHL ready before he got hurt. Is it unreasonable to think he can start with the Isles or does he need half a season cause he missed so much time.

He’ll likely start in the AHL and be the first call up, so the top four should be set and without holes.

I’d rather have a budding top four defenseman playing on the bottom pairing than being asked to play in a top four role immediately without being completely ready.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
He’ll likely start in the AHL and be the first call up, so the top four should be set and without holes.

I’d rather have a budding top four defenseman playing on the bottom pairing than being asked to play in a top four role immediately without being completely ready.

Can Toews start the season in the AHL w/o going thru waivers?

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

I agree, I was curious if he would even be NHL ready by opening night. Sounds like no one knows for sure since the Isles don't give updates.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Can Toews start the season in the AHL w/o going thru waivers?

I agree, I was curious if he would even be NHL ready by opening night. Sounds like no one knows for sure since the Isles don't give updates.

This is what Staple said in his latest mailbag regard Toews...

Despite losing almost this entire season to injury, Devon Toews will get a long look too, I would imagine. My sense is he'll go back to Bridgeport to start next year since he'll have been out of action for so long, but he'll be the first call when a defenseman goes down.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i would not doubt that Toews goes the standard route of starting in the AHL, but if Hickey and Seidenberg go, and we don't re-sign De Haan, we have lots of holes. Davidson is a UFA as well.

i think Snow spends big bucks signing Raanta, and re-signing JT, and has to cheap out on D.

i think when the smoke clears, we start with this...

Leddy-Boychuk
Pelech-Pulock
Davidson-Mayfield
Toews

Vande Sompel-Aho
Wotherspoon-Burroughs

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
i would not doubt that Toews goes the standard route of starting in the AHL, but if Hickey and Seidenberg go, and we don't re-sign De Haan, we have lots of holes. Davidson is a UFA as well.

i think Snow spends big bucks signing Raanta, and re-signing JT, and has to cheap out on D.

i think when the smoke clears, we start with this...

Leddy-Boychuk
Pelech-Pulock
Davidson-Mayfield
Toews

Vande Sompel-Aho
Wotherspoon-Burroughs

Davidson is a RFA, so he’ll likely be back.

Personally, I thinn him and Pelech are too similar to have in the lineup at the same tine so I’m interested to see where them and Mayfield fit in next season.

We could very well see one of Mayfied/Pelech dealt in a package for an upgrade. Snow didn’t sign both of them to those long deals for nothing in my opinion.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I've been keeping close tabs on Andong Song and am disappointed to see that he was a -3 last week. On the bright side, it's been a few months and they still have not changed the scoring on his goal, so hopefully he gets to keep that.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
I've been keeping close tabs on Andong Song and am disappointed to see that he was a -3 last week. On the bright side, it's been a few months and they still have not changed the scoring on his goal, so hopefully he gets to keep that.
Wonderful. Another offense first player.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79

Personally, I thinn him and Pelech are too similar to have in the lineup at the same tine so I’m interested to see where them and Mayfield fit in next season.

We could very well see one of Mayfied/Pelech dealt in a package for an upgrade. Snow didn’t sign both of them to those long deals for nothing in my opinion.
my mistake, was thinking of Wagner.

we do have a lot of middling D prospects, and would certainly benefit from an upgrade, but i am not holding my breath, waiting for it to happen.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
i bet you are one of the guys claiming that Snow sucks at drafting. so, which is it? ruined JHS and MDC, lol. both players are a work in progress, obviously. on my team, if you don't care about D, you don't play. watch LV and Nashville for a few pointers on how effective and important team play is.

Its a joint combination of both GM and his drafting and his buddies grooming. Our "System" doesn't work! explain the poor production with Nino and how he is doing now in Minnesota? Okposo showed flashes of brilliance but does anyone truly miss him?

Once again I ask, What has Thompson done in the AHL that Gordon, Cappy and Weight havent? I look at Nashville and I see Peter Laviolette holding people accountable and Poile making the necessary moves to better his team. I look at LV and see a perfectly built expansion team coming together to win and they have the energy of a new fan base to root them on.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Its a joint combination of both GM and his drafting and his buddies grooming. Our "System" doesn't work! explain the poor production with Nino and how he is doing now in Minnesota? Okposo showed flashes of brilliance but does anyone truly miss him?

Once again I ask, What has Thompson done in the AHL that Gordon, Cappy and Weight havent? I look at Nashville and I see Peter Laviolette holding people accountable and Poile making the necessary moves to better his team. I look at LV and see a perfectly built expansion team coming together to win and they have the energy of a new fan base to root them on.
Nino is one player, and that was 7 years ago.

if your boss came up to you and told you that you are doing ok, but 7 years ago, you sucked, so clean out your desk, you'd say, "good call!". i doubt it.

if you want to cherry pick and use small samplings to prove your point, let me play that game.

MDC has 3 pts in past 3 games, Thompson is great!
JHS has 3 pts in his last 3 games, Thompson is great!

i am not going to say that Snow, Weight, Thompson are great, or even deserve to stay with the organisation, but the amount of ludicrous, insane, unbelievable, ridiculous, atrocious, exaggeration that goes on... smh

LV is a unique situation. they paid a hell of a lot of money, and got to choose, essentailly, a 2nd round player from each team. built in motivation, using an "island of misfits, prove them wrong!" theme, and it's a recipe for success.

Nash has been a work in progress for a long time, slowly building, gathering steam. again, no superstar(s), just a bunch of guys busting their butts every shift.

both of these teams have something that the Ilses don't have. goaltending. something we've been sorely lacking for millenia, and i truly think a top tender would make a world of difference.

i for one am glad to see these two teams find success, and the reason that i mentioned them, is that they both are achieving great success, without an all-star cast. and we can do that too. we aren't that far away, but to listen to some of the posters here, you'd think that we are destined for 32nd place, with no hope in sight.

i originally fell in love with this place (HF), because it had so many knowledgeable posters, and i learned a ton of shit. but man, it can be more depressing than watching the news.

Last edited:

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

Davidson has looked better than Mayfield to me. I think he skates better. I would keep Pelech and Davidson for my 6/7 D. I would dump Mayfield. I doubt we get much for him. Would be happy to get rid of the contract. Let's not resign Davidson to a 5 year deal.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
LV is a different situation than any other expansion team in history. Bettman had the draft set in a way that guaranteed LV could build a competitive team out of the gate. In years past, there was no way a forward like James Neal or Reilley Smith would be available, let alone a goalie like Fleury or any single one of the defensemen they were able to take. On top of that, this was the first expansion team in the cap era and teams were falling over themselves to hand them good players plus 1st and 2nd rounders for their troubles.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
With that contract, Mayfield isn't going anywhere. At worst he's a good long term 7th D making little money. Best case, If he manages to put it together and be a borderline 2nd pairing type? That contract along with Pelech gives the Islanders great roster flexibility.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
With that contract, Mayfield isn't going anywhere. At worst he's a good long term 7th D making little money. Best case, If he manages to put it together and be a borderline 2nd pairing type? That contract along with Pelech gives the Islanders great roster flexibility.

I hope you are right and they are able to reach a solid NHL level potential. While it would be nice to see some other options here, if these guys do not succeed they don't have a high cap hit and they can be moved easier than other pieces. Would be nice to see someone with a more noticeable offensive game from 1 of these 2.

Reactions: dood

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Davidson has looked better than Mayfield to me. I think he skates better. I would keep Pelech and Davidson for my 6/7 D. I would dump Mayfield. I doubt we get much for him. Would be happy to get rid of the contract. Let's not resign Davidson to a 5 year deal.

I actually like Pelech and Mayfield and don't mind Davidson. I just hate that the Islanders have locked up FRINGE players to what MAY BE good value contracts but no way will they be impact players. It just makes no sense and the decisions bother me to the core, in the context of the long term plan (to build a winner) - if that is, in fact, the plan.

If it's to be a fringe playoff team on a budget, then hats-off-to Garthman

Mayfield and Pelech are too slow and too similar but could be a fine #5-6 one day. So, whoop-dee-doo. Like Brandon Davidson and Hickey/Aho/Toews/MVS or anyone else can be. And how much better is Pelech/Mayfield over a Seidenberg/Franson or waiver pick-up? Not much.

Ideally, you go to the cup like Nashville does, with a wicked top four and two 7-8min/night no-names.

Reactions: dood

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I actually like Pelech and Mayfield and don't mind Davidson. I just hate that the Islanders have locked up FRINGE players to what MAY BE good value contracts but no way will they be impact players. It just makes no sense and the decisions bother me to the core, in the context of the long term plan (to build a winner) - if that is, in fact, the plan.

If it's to be a fringe playoff team on a budget, then hats-off-to Garthman

Mayfield and Pelech are too slow and too similar but could be a fine #5-6 one day. So, whoop-dee-doo. Like Brandon Davidson and Hickey/Aho/Toews/MVS or anyone else can be. And how much better is Pelech/Mayfield over a Seidenberg/Franson or waiver pick-up? Not much.

Ideally, you go to the cup like Nashville does, with a wicked top four and two 7-8min/night no-names.

I agree. Neither Pelech or Mayfield make a lot so they are not being overpaid to be bottom pairing guys. So in theory neither prevents the Isles from following the Nashville model. I hope Toews develops into a top 4. The real problem is all the cap tied up with bottom 6 forwards. This more than anything will hurt the team trying to build out the roster.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Didn't realize Toews has one more season waiver exemption that is great news.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Nino is one player, and that was 7 years ago.

if your boss came up to you and told you that you are doing ok, but 7 years ago, you sucked, so clean out your desk, you'd say, "good call!". i doubt it.

if you want to cherry pick and use small samplings to prove your point, let me play that game.

MDC has 3 pts in past 3 games, Thompson is great!
JHS has 3 pts in his last 3 games, Thompson is great!

i am not going to say that Snow, Weight, Thompson are great, or even deserve to stay with the organisation, but the amount of ludicrous, insane, unbelievable, ridiculous, atrocious, exaggeration that goes on... smh

LV is a unique situation. they paid a hell of a lot of money, and got to choose, essentailly, a 2nd round player from each team. built in motivation, using an "island of misfits, prove them wrong!" theme, and it's a recipe for success.

Nash has been a work in progress for a long time, slowly building, gathering steam. again, no superstar(s), just a bunch of guys busting their butts every shift.

both of these teams have something that the Ilses don't have. goaltending. something we've been sorely lacking for millenia, and i truly think a top tender would make a world of difference.

i for one am glad to see these two teams find success, and the reason that i mentioned them, is that they both are achieving great success, without an all-star cast. and we can do that too. we aren't that far away, but to listen to some of the posters here, you'd think that we are destined for 32nd place, with no hope in sight.

i originally fell in love with this place (HF), because it had so many knowledgeable posters, and i learned a ton of ****. but man, it can be more depressing than watching the news.

That has to be the worst analogy ever.. lol but whatever

You mean to tell me that Garth has been good all this time? Garth Snow has a terrible drafting record and his cronies running the show are just YES MEN. Which is why I go back to my original argument. Do tell me how keeping draft picks in the minors over journeyman help player development? Tell me how a top 5 draft pick (whom isnt that good but was the best player available) is actually learning under Thompson but yet lets play Alan Quine and Shane Prince? Lets have Tanner Fritz play over Josh Ho-Sang. Lets have Brian Strait play endlessly over Ryan Pulock. Lets have Marty Reasoner play on the Powerplay. Are you serious???

Ill take Ho-Sang and 3 goals over Alan Quine!!

Nashville has always played amazing regular season hockey in the last decade but they run into the brick walls that were Chicago and LA. They broke out last year and I say they have a chance to get the cup and if they dont I wont say thats a failure. In the last decade the NYR have had 2 ECF appearances and 1 SC appearance and I call that a success. Meanwhile in Islanders country a 2nd round appearance is considered great achievement.

You are right about HF its fun but what makes it horrible are pretentious people pretending that they know everything. Going back to my original argument.. Brent Thompson is awful. He hasnt developed jack shit and this whole "system" has been an abysmal failure. We can agree to disagree and unfortunately You have a right to be wrong.. Good Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad