Isles Prospect Talk 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think he'd be a good pick up, but given his size (he's still only 170lbs), non-elite skating, and that he didn't put up good numbers in the NCAA until his senior year, I do also have questions about how well he'll adjust to the pros. With his shot and on ice work ethic, he does have some upside, so, I do agree that with our prospect depth he'd be worth signing. But I also wouldn't be that bummed if he signed elsewhere.

Ultimately, shounds like this guy we have on the farm named Iskhakov.

Personally think O'Brien is more likely to be an NHLer. But again, I don't see him as a blue chipper that we need to move heaven and hell to try to sign.

Indeed, I think O'Brien's pro upside if all the chips fall in place is Pageau. So, that'd actually be a more logical organizational add.

Then again, I just don't know if he's all too much different from the Koivulas, MacLeans, Newkirks, and Pivonkas in the system.

It'll still be fun to add one of these guys.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Ultimately, shounds like this guy we have on the farm named Iskhakov.
Oh, for sure, Iskhakov is exactly who he reminds me of as a prospect. I rate Iskhakov higher since he has proven he can get it done in the pros (not at the major league level of course, but against professionals, at least) but I had the same concerns with him as well. I hope for their sakes I'm wrong on both, but these are concerns one can't ignore. But getting a prospect similar to Isk without spending a pick is enticing, even if I view it as a longshot.
Indeed, I think O'Brien's pro upside if all the chips fall in place is Pageau. So, that'd actually be a more logical organizational add.

Then again, I just don't know if he's all too much different from the Koivulas, MacLeans, Newkirks, and Pivonkas in the system.

It'll still be fun to add one of these guys.
Again, in agreement on all three points. O'Brien seems to make more sense, and I would say I do see O'Brien as having more potential than the guys you list here, but I agree it may not be by a significant enough difference to move the needle. But at the cost of nothing but a contract, either would be nice to add.

Reactions: The Real JT

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I think he'd be a good pick up, but given his size (he's still only 170lbs), non-elite skating, and that he didn't put up good numbers in the NCAA until his senior year, I do also have questions about how well he'll adjust to the pros. With his shot and on ice work ethic, he does have some upside, so, I do agree that with our prospect depth he'd be worth signing. But I also wouldn't be that bummed if he signed elsewhere.

Personally think O'Brien is more likely to be an NHLer. But again, I don't see him as a blue chipper that we need to move heaven and hell to try to sign.
Hey, why not both!

Reactions: Seph

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Agree. I truly have no idea where this team sits as far as roster spots and there would have to be some cap gymnastics. While I prefer as many darts thrown at the dart board for the entry draft, the cupboard is thin and maybe there is an opportunity here.
They have 44 players under contract right now. More than enough room to stack the cupboard.

Reactions: Tahoeblue

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Agree. I truly have no idea where this team sits as far as roster spots and there would have to be some cap gymnastics. While I prefer as many darts thrown at the dart board for the entry draft, the cupboard is thin and maybe there is an opportunity here.
Again, in agreement on all three points. O'Brien seems to make more sense, and I would say I do see O'Brien as having more potential than the guys you list here, but I agree it may not be by a significant enough difference to move the needle. But at the cost of nothing but a contract, either would be nice to add.
They have 44 players under contract right now. More than enough room to stack the cupboard.

I'd also say sign 'em both.

Might create more opportunity to move some depth for a bigger trade that'd likely include Pageau and Wahlstrom.

Reactions: Skip To My Lou

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Any athletic subscribers - what was the take on Bolduc and Dufour- Iskhakov, and Maggio

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Any athletic subscribers - what was the take on Bolduc and Dufour- Iskhakov, and Maggio
No mention of Ishakov.

Bolduc and Dufour were ranked higher, one curious thing was on Maggio they said he wasn't a good skater but on the limited views I have seen of him he was actually good (edges). So idk

Reactions: SI

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Bolduc was listed as the 2nd best prospect, liked his athleticism and shot in particular. Projection was "don’t think Bolduc stands out at either end of the rink, but the package is good enough to be a legit third-pair defenseman, and a chance to be more."

Dufour was ranked at 4th. Called him "a big, highly-skilled winger who can score." Particularly liked his shot, saying it's "a legit pro weapon, be it blasting a one-timer past a goalie or being able to pick corners." But also questioned his vision, footspeed, and tendency to stick to the perimeter too often. Projection was "he can play NHL games, but will need to round out his game to have a career in the league."

Maggio was listed at 6th, and as stated above, skating "is the one issue in his game especially at his size." Liked his compete and called his offensive skills "excellent." Overall said "his trajectory and skill are intriguing to where I can see him as a nice depth piece in an NHL organization."

Reactions: SI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Bolduc was listed as the 2nd best prospect, liked his athleticism and shot in particular. Projection was "don’t think Bolduc stands out at either end of the rink, but the package is good enough to be a legit third-pair defenseman, and a chance to be more."

Dufour was ranked at 4th. Called him "a big, highly-skilled winger who can score." Particularly liked his shot, saying it's "a legit pro weapon, be it blasting a one-timer past a goalie or being able to pick corners." But also questioned his vision, footspeed, and tendency to stick to the perimeter too often. Projection was "he can play NHL games, but will need to round out his game to have a career in the league."

Maggio was listed at 6th, and as stated above, skating "is the one issue in his game especially at his size." Liked his compete and called his offensive skills "excellent." Overall said "his trajectory and skill are intriguing to where I can see him as a nice depth piece in an NHL organization."
Who do he have listed #3 - Holmstrom?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Who do he have listed #3 - Holmstrom?
Yep, correct. And interestingly, Liukas was #5, though, also kind of makes sense since Liukas has a lot of tools that are pro-level, we as fans just don't tend to rate him higher since he doesn't have much offensive upside. Only the top 6 were ranked, the rest were listed alphabetically as guys who have a chance to play in the NHL.

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022

Over the years, I have soured on Pronman's work. Writing about prospects allows writers to be fraudulent. Because we don't actually see these guys play, we give value to these lists and "analysis." Bottom line is that there is no way in hell anybody can watch so much hockey/leagues to truly have a grasp on how good any of these prospects are.

The gig was up for me when Pronman does "redrafts." It was clear he doesn't really know what he's doing. For instance, in his 2012 re-draft he had the following:

1) Andrei Vasilevskiy
2) Jacob Slavin
3) Morgan Rielly
4) Tomas Hertl
5) Filip Forsberg
6) Connor Hellebuyck
7) Frederik Anderson
8) Jacob Trouba
9) Matt Dumba
10) Chandler Stephenson
11) Teuvo Tervainen
12) Colton Parayko
13) Tom Wilson
14) Hampus Lindholm
15) Brady Skjei
16) Esa Lindell
17) Damon Severson
18) Alex Kerfoot
19) Connor Brown
20) Josh Anderson

This is after 10 years of NHL data. This list is so bad, it's as if he has never watched an NHL game. Adam Pelech didn't even crack his top 20. So it's difficult to rank prospects, because there are too many leagues, age groups, project ability, etc. NHL should be pretty easy. There may be some disagreements, but this isn't even close.

These "prospects lists" should be taken with a huge grain of salt. I think the Isles system has at least 5-6 guys that will make the NHL. I just don't believe they have any true impact, cost-controlled players, which you need to compete in a salary cap world.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
EP Rinkside wrote about their top 100 NHL draftees.

Only Islander on the list was Odelius at 77.

Their top 5 are:
5 Cooley
4 Michkov
3 Carlsson
2 Fantilli
1 Bedard

Thus, extremely 2023 draft-heavy.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011

Last years Iskhakov from the Athletic: "There’s no denying Iskhakov has NHL skill and playmaking ability and he had a decent year, being a point-per-game player in the DEL. His game lacks pace and compete, though, which is concerning at his size — so he has a long way to go to be an NHL player."

He wasn't ranked for that article. It included: Dobson, Dufour, Wahlstrom, Romanov, Raty (in that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad