Isles Prospect Talk 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'm going to assume he arrives in Bridgeport for 2023.
No one internally is even close to challenging for *any* NHL roster spot, but NYI specifically wanted to retain Varlamov because of his relationship with the team's most valuable player and fellow Russian goaltender, Ilya Sorokin.

God forbid should anything long term happen to either #30/#40 this season, there are multiple teams out there already that seemingly appear to be running a three headed goalie rotation (Garth Snow pioneered that BTW) and Lamoriello can simply call up them up once their duo shakes itself out.

Reactions: Osakahaus

scott99

May 13, 2005
Hate that they got rid of the blue & white scrimmages. I used to enjoy going to those. Lou just closing the doors on fans :mad:
I used to love those. I used to go to them on a July Saturday, before they made them for season ticket holders only and played them on weekdays. But even the weekday scrimmages, they used to stream them. I miss those scrimmages.

Reactions: SI90 and JRD76

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think that the Varlamov deal is telling that our goalie prospects aren't ready yet (except Lennox). Expect more goalies to be drafted soon)

Actually, I expect exactly the opposite.

Skarek was re-upped and Lennox is coming in to BPort. Tikkanen is still in the fold as well.

Looks like both Islander teams are covered for a good long period of time.

Any further goaltending adds can come from the outside now.

Naturally, the team could and likely will - by a matter of proxy - grab a goaltender via the draft over the next 3 summers as the law of averages would practically demand it.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA

Skarek was re-upped and Lennox is coming in to BPort. Tikkanen is still in the fold as well.

Naturally, the team could and likely will - by a matter of proxy - grab a goaltender via the draft over the next 3 summers as the law of averages would practically demand it.
I was hoping/expecting a goalie to be drafted this season despite the lack of picks.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I was hoping/expecting a goalie to be drafted this season despite the lack of picks.

I could be wrong here and if I am someone correct me but unless you hit on a franchise goalie such as Sorokin why would the organization place am emphasis on drafting a goalie just yet? It seems like a better use of assets to let another team draft and develop goalies and then just sign them in free agency. You could even acquire them via trade for around the same draft pick you'd acquire a top tier prospect in.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I could be wrong here and if I am someone correct me but unless you hit on a franchise goalie such as Sorokin why would the organization place am emphasis on drafting a goalie just yet? It seems like a better use of assets to let another team draft and develop goalies and then just sign them in free agency. You could even acquire them via trade for around the same draft pick you'd acquire a top tier prospect in.
Trading draft picks is frowned upon by some.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Every year there's plenty of serviceable goalies available.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Tikkanen is not “back” in the fold as of yet.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Tikkanen is not “back” in the fold as of yet.
Neither is Skarek, so its gonna be very interesting for what happens down in Bridgeport

True and true.

Skarek was given a qualifying offer, so he has until the 15th to accept or not.

Tikkanen was only ever here on a two-way minor league contract. I was under the guise that it was for two years from the outset, but Eliteprospects doesn't have him listed for either of BPort or Worcester next season - or anywhere for that matter.

If he's not with the organization this upcoming season after just one year in North America, then I guess his time as an Islander "prospect" is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad