Isles Prospect Talk 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
He’s played parts of 4 years, but he came here early and he is still 22 and won’t be 23 until AFTER the next season is over. Two of the four years were small games played

He’s right on pace and based on his development history he’ll be taking a big step forward offensively

He’ll be productive in the NHL later this season. He tended to defer handling the puck too much and it’s just a matter of time in my opinion

He’s got two great offensive skills in boardplay and passing. The shot is above average and he’ll handle and shoot more this season.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Interesting, this is year 4 or 5 in Bridgeport?
Normally you see this with a prospect and it’s a definite bust, however Holmstrom made huge strides last year and he started playing in the AHL at 18, pretty much played all his juniors in a professional NA league that is not intended to cater to player development. That’s pretty impressive and I see definite long term NHL upside as he’s very versitile but has flashes of skill.

Without having a keyed in long time role him makes him hard to project.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think Holmstrom is here to stay with the Islanders. Unless he has a horrendous camp, he’ll be an Islander. That being said, I’ve never been high on Holmstrom, always thought he was a marginal talent. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I think Holmstrom is here to stay with the Islanders. Unless he has a horrendous camp, he’ll be an Islander. That being said, I’ve never been high on Holmstrom, always thought he was a marginal talent. Hopefully I’m wrong.
I'm a fan of his but not expecting much offense . I think it comes down to whether or not the isles want Fasching/Gauthier types in the middle 6 verses Holmstrom who has a bit of skill meshed with his 2-way game .

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I agree with this - I think Ross Johnston is the casualty here - I Ross and I think Chicago is a good landing spot for him - protecting Bedard for the next year or so.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
He's the Bailey replacement, but some isles guys think he'll become like William Karlsson. To me, I think he's just a more defensive version of Bailey but with a nicer shot.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I'm not sure what Holmstrom's upside is but I do think at the bare minimum he is a reliable third line player. If he can continue to develop I see his ceiling as a defensively responsible, big body (who knows how to use his size) winger who slots in on the second line.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Not that I don't think he has the ability to hold his own in the NHL this season, but I don't think he's ready for a top 6 role, and personally would rather to see him in the AHL where he can focus more on developing his offensive game than in the bottom 6.

Last edited:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I've said it before. I see Holmstrom developing into a reliable middle-sixer (more likely 3rd liner). His stickwork is especially impressive. For such a slight frame, he wins several 50-50's with his savvy stick checks. I like his lankiness, and I like that he has some skill. It's dormant now, he seems hesitant to use his skills, but they are there. Sneaky shot, puck handling, and passing.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Holmstrom most likely becomes another Bailey. A middle six, cultured player, who does a lot of things well, but who rarely stands out. As with most other Islanders players it's the lack of goals who is going to be the rub going forwards.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I'm not sure what Holmstrom's upside is but I do think at the bare minimum he is a reliable third line player. If he can continue to develop I see his ceiling as a defensively responsible, big body (who knows how to use his size) winger who slots in on the second line.
His upside is sticking to the boards and making it a living hell to play against him

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
His upside is sticking to the boards and making it a living hell to play against him
You make me think of when Lee had 40 goals cycling the puck down low along the boards with Tavares. I wonder if Lee and Holmstrom would be a good combo?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
You make me think of when Lee had 40 goals cycling the puck down low along the boards with Tavares. I wonder if Lee and Holmstrom would be a good combo?
Lee is too slow. I like Holmstrom but if there is a good place for him, its replacing Parise on the third line. He was arguably pretty solid with Pageau. Now the question is who goes with him on the other wing?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Lee is too slow. I like Holmstrom but if there is a good place for him, its replacing Parise on the third line. He was arguably pretty solid with Pageau. Now the question is who goes with him on the other wing?
Lee is too slow for what - playing with Holmstrom?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Nothing too major here, but Alexander Ljungkrantz - who is scheduled to play this season for Almtuna of the HockeyAllsvenskan (where he'll surely have a scoring role) - has signed a multi-year contract with powerhouse Färjestad starting with the 24-25 season.

1692132326175.png

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
This is a simple analysis but bear with me.

Shouldn’t the Isles push hard to sign Robert Mastrosimone? Full disclosure, I know little about his skill set other than some scattered internet articles but by all accounts he is one of the top remaining unsigned college FAs. Sounds like a B prospect.

As a Long Island kid and with our farm system needing recruits isn’t this a no brainer?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
This is a simple analysis but bear with me.

Shouldn’t the Isles push hard to sign Robert Mastrosimone? Full disclosure, I know little about his skill set other than some scattered internet articles but by all accounts he is one of the top remaining unsigned college FAs. Sounds like a B prospect.

As a Long Island kid and with our farm system needing recruits isn’t this a no brainer?
I think he'd be a good pick up, but given his size (he's still only 170lbs), non-elite skating, and that he didn't put up good numbers in the NCAA until his senior year, I do also have questions about how well he'll adjust to the pros. With his shot and on ice work ethic, he does have some upside, so, I do agree that with our prospect depth he'd be worth signing. But I also wouldn't be that bummed if he signed elsewhere.

Personally think O'Brien is more likely to be an NHLer. But again, I don't see him as a blue chipper that we need to move heaven and hell to try to sign.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad