Confirmed with Link: Isles Officially Name Doug Weight as Head Coach

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Did anyone catch the NHL Network interview with Weight earlier today? (I saw it at around 12 PM EST). The NHL guys started off the conversation saying something like "Congrats on having the Interim tag removed. What did they sign you to? 10, 12 years? Oh nevermind, Wang isnt in control anymore" :laugh:

(sorry mods, don't have a link. saw it on TV)

LOL!

This team is such a laughingstock.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
You must have missed this from yesterday:

"Snow has four playoff appearances in 11 seasons as GM. According to numerous sources around the league, he also has a contract with at least five more seasons on it, a parting gift of sorts from loyal former owner Charles Wang when he turned control of the team over to Malkin and Ledecky."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/big-decisions-ahead-for-islanders-owners-jon-ledecky-and-scott-malkin-1.13428062

That was so nice of Wang. :sarcasm::sarcasm:

JERK! :rant::rant:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Weight hasn't experienced that as a coach, but as a player he has been a member of several organizations. I think Weight was sharp enough to have observed the way different franchises operated over the years.

True - and I'm sure he's well liked around the league and communicates with other coaches during the off season. Still, when we have a franchise as inept as the Islanders have been, it's nice to have a coaching staff that has at least some experience with other franchises. Hopefully this new coach is an experienced asst Coach from outside the organization.

Once you put it on, it's so hard to get off.

The good news - I'm within 5 pounds of my playing weight. The bad news - I didn't play much of anything.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Now, would somebody like to tell me how Charles Wang wasn't the WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO THE NEW YORK ISLANDERS? :banghead:

When the franchise was at its lowest point, he did buy the team. That in itself could have saved the franchise from leaving NY. He did try to keep them on LI and he did sell the team keeping them in NY. That is about all he did and the rest has been awful.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Now, would somebody like to tell me how Charles Wang wasn't the WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO THE NEW YORK ISLANDERS? :banghead:

As bad as Wang was, our owners in the late 90s were much worse

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
These owners are absolutely just as bad as Wang. Who in their right mind spends hundreds of millions of dollars to buy a sports team that they dont have a say in who the GM is lol. These guys are idiots. Its like buying a expensive used car, but the prior owners has constant remote control of the radio.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
These owners are absolutely just as bad as Wang. Who in their right mind spends hundreds of millions of dollars to buy a sports team that they dont have a say in who the GM is lol. These guys are idiots. Its like buying a expensive used car, but the prior owners has constant remote control of the radio.

It could be:

A) They're dumb.
B) The price of Snow's contract is so small they don't care about the term if they fire him.
C) The report is false.

I'm leaning toward B and C.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
It could be:

A) They're dumb.
B) The price of Snow's contract is so small they don't care about the term if they fire him.
C) The report is false.

I'm leaning toward B and C.

If they keep the guy who has one playoff series win in 11 years and he has an atrocious offseason I would also say they are dumb. It could be all three then!

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
The more and more I read the quotes the less I want Weight as coach. Snow says the players are comfortable with him. The last thing theses lolly-gaggers need is a coach they are comfortable with.

I dunno man. Kinda gotta disagree with you.

Even *I* feel like I would run through a wall for Doug Weight, and I don't even play for the Islanders..

He seems like a guy who can build a true team and have two-way respect.. I think it's worth a shot..

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

More like the steering wheel, because the direction of the team is in Garths hands. Buckle Up!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Exactly this. I'm done even debating it. If you think wang did anything good for the Islanders you're a very limited and uninformed human being.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I wonder if Gordon will get another NHL head coaching gig, ever? You know he will because he was a head coach here, and simply being a head coach here is grounds for hiring on the NHL level. That is what I hears anyway.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Exactly this. I'm done even debating it. If you think wang did anything good for the Islanders you're a very limited and uninformed human being.

I'm not going to defend Wang.

But we've been through a lot. Wang did a lot of idiotic and harmful things. He did try. The Milsteins literally did not try.

This is entirely a commentary on Isles history and not Wang.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
I'm not going to defend Wang.

But we've been through a lot. Wang did a lot of idiotic and harmful things. He did try. The Milsteins literally did not try.

This is entirely a commentary on Isles history and not Wang.

Wow. A thoughtful post on this board. Nice job.

Wang, although a cheapskate, and a bad owner could've sold the team out of state/country. He didn't.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Wang goes down as just another terrible owner in isles history. Just like former isles owners, he bought the team as a real estate investment. Only after the lighthouse project was rejected he realized what all other owners found out, Nassau county/TOH impossible to deal with, and it was time to sell.

Team was not leaving Long Island thanks to john spano's renegotiated cablevision deal.

It's incredible how unlucky the islanders have been with ownership over the last 25 plus years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad