Confirmed with Link: Isles Officially Name Doug Weight as Head Coach

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Exactly this. I'm done even debating it. If you think wang did anything good for the Islanders you're a very limited and uninformed human being.
For all the bad and insane things he did he also kept the team in the area when the only people who wanted the team were those who would've moved them. As a Whalers fan I can think of a *cough* hall of famer who would've been much worse as an owner.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
For all the bad and insane things he did he also kept the team in the area when the only people who wanted the team were those who would've moved them. As a Whalers fan I can think of a *cough* hall of famer who would've been much worse as an owner.

Trouble is no Islander fan actually believes he did that. For some reason they think that anybody would be stupid enough to move the team from homely little Nassau county. They have no idea the catastrophe that Wang averted.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I do give credit to Wang for keeping us here. Other owners definitely would have moved us out of here.

With that said, to hell with Wang. He may have saved the franchise, but he cemented that we'll be a mediocre at best club for the foreseeable future.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Trouble is no Islander fan actually believes he did that. For some reason they think that anybody would be stupid enough to move the team from homely little Nassau county. They have no idea the catastrophe that Wang averted.
But we have an idea of the catastrophe that the Isles have been during his ownership. With Garth Snow being the gift that keeps on giving.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Is Brian Strait a US Citizen? If not, how can we naturalize him with the quickness? I feel bad if Anders Lee is on the team.. he will probably be a healthy scratch.

Lee and Nelson are both playing. Well, they are on the team. Whether they play or not remains to be seen now.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Wow. A thoughtful post on this board. Nice job.

Wang, although a cheapskate, and a bad owner could've sold the team out of state/country. He didn't.

Hate this argument. The Coyotes literally had no owner and were run by the NHL for years, still trying to solve an arena situation (with "Quebec & Seattle calling") and yet...Are still in Arizona.

And they don't have our cable deal.

Wang saved exactly ZERO. Would've been better if the NHL ran the Isles for a few years, found an acceptable owner, and then we'd still be in NY...And without snow.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Hate this argument. The Coyotes literally had no owner and were run by the NHL for years, still trying to solve an arena situation (with "Quebec & Seattle calling") and yet...Are still in Arizona.

And they don't have our cable deal.

Wang saved exactly ZERO. Would've been better if the NHL ran the Isles for a few years, found an acceptable owner, and then we'd still be in NY...And without snow.

That's the difference between no owner and an owner who wants to move. If Wang wanted to move the franchise, he might've been able to do so. Wang was a terrible owner still. It was the one good thing he did for the franchise.

Rehabguy

Oct 2, 2011
Wang, Snow, Capuano

They all did a pretty good job in my opinion given their circumstances. Good luck to them!

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Capuano joins the elite ranks of Rand Pecknold & Seth Appert.
Career is trending up.

Wut, no Scott Gordon or the creme de la creme of coachitude, Tortorella? Must be a typo or something. This is like breaking up Mount Rushmore of hockey.

Last edited:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I do give credit to Wang for keeping us here. Other owners definitely would have moved us out of here.

With that said, to hell with Wang. He may have saved the franchise, but he cemented that we'll be a mediocre at best club for the foreseeable future.

I might be in the minority, but I fully believe it is because of Wang that we do not have a brand new, state of the art arena to play in.

I am not saying that Nassau County is easy to work with, but it is no coincidence that a new arena was already renovated there WITHOUT a pro team playing when Wang wasn't negotiating it.

I am past the point of caring about going to the 5 games a year I go to now, whether they play in Brooklyn, Belmont, or Kansas City just let me root for a winning franchise.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Weight took the team from last place to 1 point from a playoff spot...I'm ok with this decision as I think he's earned it. However Snow must go!

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

You better appreciate your abusive husband. He puts food on the table, and without him you'd be homeless!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Likely They would be long gone by now twice without him

I won't ask you to prove how they could've left twice because posting in quantum physics will take up too much bandwidth, but please prove how the Isles would be gone just once if wang never owned the team. Don't forget to address at least the cable deal and the unbreakable Coliseum lease in your reply please.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I might be in the minority, but I fully believe it is because of Wang that we do not have a brand new, state of the art arena to play in.

I am not saying that Nassau County is easy to work with, but it is no coincidence that a new arena was already renovated there WITHOUT a pro team playing when Wang wasn't negotiating it.

I am past the point of caring about going to the 5 games a year I go to now, whether they play in Brooklyn, Belmont, or Kansas City just let me root for a winning franchise.

Make your "minority" +1.

I'm not sure enough out there know this, but the original plan for the Barclays Center was a 2-sport arena:

"If the arena is built, however, it will most likely take more than two years to complete. Unlike the Gehry design, the new arena would not accommodate a professional hockey team."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/05/nyregion/05gehry.html

I can't find the quote, but when Barclays was being planned I believe Ratner gave a quote like, "Wang is dedicated to trying to make it work on Long Island." Basically he was insinuating that they tried to lure wang to Barclay's initially be he rebuffed. Had wang committed to Barclays initially stands to reason that would have given the project the clout it needed to remain a two-sport arena, even if Gehry's design was tweaked.

And all of this doesn't even get started with the fact that as bad a the Nassau politicians are, neither republicans or democrats wanted to work with wang. That's why all of his efforts were squashed over a decade, and yet within a year Ratner had a deal to renovate the coliseum. I'll bet if Ratner, or any number of other rational human beings, owned the Isles since 2000 they'd be playing in a new arena with 360 views.

People really need to stop giving wang credit for anything. I mean anything. We're worse off because of him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Make your "minority" +1.

I'm not sure enough out there know this, but the original plan for the Barclays Center was a 2-sport arena:

"If the arena is built, however, it will most likely take more than two years to complete. Unlike the Gehry design, the new arena would not accommodate a professional hockey team."

I can't find the quote, but when Barclays was being planned I believe Ratner gave a quote like, "Wang is dedicated to trying to make it work on Long Island." Basically he was insinuating that they tried to lure wang to Barclay's initially be he rebuffed. Had wang committed to Barclays initially stands to reason that would have given the project the clout it needed to remain a two-sport arena, even if Gehry's design was tweaked.

And all of this doesn't even get started with the fact that as bad a the Nassau politicians are, neither republicans or democrats wanted to work with wang. That's why all of his efforts were squashed over a decade, and yet within a year Ratner had a deal to renovate the coliseum. I'll bet if Ratner, or any number of other rational human beings, owned the Isles since 2000 they'd be playing in a new arena with 360 views.

People really need to stop giving wang credit for anything. I mean anything. We're worse off because of him.

How pissed would people have been if Wang accepted the Brooklyn deal the first time around? They'd be furious still. I don't buy for a second that an NHL fit arena in Brooklyn would've made the fans who are upset the team left Nassau happy.

You're absolutely right that Wang must've been difficult to work with. He wanted the Lighthouse Project and nothing else. We were a real estate deal for him, unfortunately. We're lucky he didn't move the team out of the area though, because another owner who didn't get their way might've. I also don't blame him for wanting that project to go through because the deal with Nassau was horrendous for a professional sports franchise.

I don't think Wang was a good owner, but I'm certainly happy he didn't move the franchise when he likely had the chance. I'm really glad we have new owners and we don't have to worry about that bush league crap anymore...I think.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Make your "minority" +1.

Make that +2

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
How pissed would people have been if Wang accepted the Brooklyn deal the first time around? They'd be furious still. I don't buy for a second that an NHL fit arena in Brooklyn would've made the fans who are upset the team left Nassau happy.

You're absolutely right that Wang must've been difficult to work with. He wanted the Lighthouse Project and nothing else. We were a real estate deal for him, unfortunately. We're lucky he didn't move the team out of the area though, because another owner who didn't get their way might've. I also don't blame him for wanting that project to go through because the deal with Nassau was horrendous for a professional sports franchise.

I don't think Wang was a good owner, but I'm certainly happy he didn't move the franchise when he likely had the chance. I'm really glad we have new owners and we don't have to worry about that bush league crap anymore...I think.

People were going to be angry about leaving the Island. But at least those who did follow the team to Brooklyn like me wouldn't sit in Barclays Center looking at that dopey open ended eyesore in our end and having to explain to the people I bring to the games why the Islanders ended up in an arena that's unsuitable for hockey.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
People were going to be angry about leaving the Island. But at least those who did follow the team to Brooklyn like me wouldn't sit in Barclays Center looking at that dopey open ended eyesore in our end and having to explain to the people I bring to the games why the Islanders ended up in an arena that's unsuitable for hockey.

Completely fair. I do wish they made it for hockey myself, I think it was a dumb decision by Wang to not pursue it and for the Barclays people to not do it anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->