Confirmed with Link: Isles Officially Name Doug Weight as Head Coach

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Okay then, that's interesting. No issue with that, but what about the GM? I think we maybe know that answer....

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This probably means we will see Snow return as GM and president. Wouldn't make sense to commit to a coach and then hire a team President and/or GM.

I'm a fan of Weight. He doesn't make excuses and he is a good motivator. He also values skill and isn't afraid to play his younger guys.

I just hope that we pony up some money and hire another assistant coach who can help with special teams. Mainly the PP.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Business as usual for this organization. New owners, same direction.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
They should just announce that Garth will continue to be GM as well. You cannot force marriages between GM's and coaches, so if Dougie is officially coach, you can assume Garth is still GM. UGH

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
The only hope is that this was JT's call. If they said to him, who do you want as coach, and he said Doug, I'm OK with it. Now get him a PP assistant. Maybe Trottier?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
The only hope is that this was JT's call. If they said to him, who do you want as coach, and he said Doug, I'm OK with it. Now get him a PP assistant. Maybe Trottier?

I think it is, but I don't know if that makes this better or worse. JT is loyal to who he works with. Was loyal with Cappy, is loyal with Weight, is probably loyal to Garth too.

EDIT: to add to this, I can't see him being the guy who's like "yeah Dougie has to go".

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Islanders have to be the dumbest franchise in professional sports. New owners are just as bad. Weight was ok but honestly they needed drastic change. I can guarantee this will not be a playoff team next year and you can thank Garth for terrible contracts and owners who are pu$$ies. Fans deserve better. Sell the team to someone who actually cares

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
I like the move. He really did earn it, and most importantly, this seems like what JT wanted. Even if Snow does stay, a new President of Hockey Ops can come in and severely limit Snow's responsibility.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Not that there's anything wrong with this.:naughty:

Doug Weight was able to get the team back on track. He got a better performance out of Ryan Strome than Capuano did once he changed the Isles style of play and I'd like to see Strome get a camp and full season with this coach before we chuck him in the garbage.

On Weight's plate will be getting this team to show up every night. Some of those losses where we were non-competitive giving up 7 goals were perplexing to me, as well as the way we responded after returning from the 9 game road trip as well as the egg we laid against Boston 3 weeks ago. Also find a way to improve the power play, which has been under his purview for several years.

Weight got enough of a good result from the team to say it was more than the team "playing guilty" after Capuano's firing. I felt that would be what got Weight a chance to be the first one considered for the permanent head coach job. I'm still undecided about Weight as an Xs and Os coach but the up-tempo offense was refreshing to see as well as Weight's honesty with the media in his post game comments. Weight is an intense person. Hopefully this job doesn't give him a heart attack.;)

Congratulations Doug.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Of course, with this news comes the likelihood that Garth Snow remains as GM. This will obviously disappoint some fans, myself included, but let's not try and marry Weight and Snow. At the end of the day, Isles went 24-12-4 after Weight took over, after starting 17-17-8 heading to last in the Eastern conference. He got the team to play hard, gave chances to the younger skill players and enabled them to build confidence, and made smart decisions. He deserved the head coaching job and I am happy about it.

As someone stated above, need to pay up for a legit assistant coach with a resume of successful special teams management. This team has more than enough talent on the roster and in the system to have a top PP. No excused any more. has been our achillies heel the last 3 years. If we can figure out a system that works with Greiss/Jaro in net and improve on special teams, this team will be a playoff team and more. Stll a move or two to be made, but step 1 of the offseason is complete. Here is what is next.

1. Expansion: Survive, make the right choices, hopefully force Vegas to take Nelson, Bailey, Hickey, or Pelech.

2. sign JT. No excuses here. Confident this will get done.

3. Trade for a top 6 forward. If we can make this addition, and add Barzal, team will be ready to contend next year.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Did they even reach out to any other candidate? Interview anyone else? Or is this still the Wang budget for management? He's under contract anyway, might as well keep him, get our money's worth. I can see it now, "hey Garth, we gave you 5 more years, you have an additional titles, head of custodial services and senior rest room monitor"

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I like Weight, so I don't mind this.

However, if Snow is staying he can't be allowed to report to himself. That is so unprofessional from a business standpoint it's not even funny. There's no accountability.

dcv2002

Jun 22, 2006
You have to think that they basically said to JT "You want Weight as head coach?"

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Now, separating retaining Weight as coach from the Isles front office issues

unfortunately for those of us who want to see Garth Snow out of a job, this probably indicates that Ledecky and Malkin were sold on the fact that had Weight been installed as coach a month earlier the team probably makes the playoffs. This is a pretty good sign that Snow will remain as GM. :shakehead

I'll always wonder if every time ownership has a chance to pull the plug on Snow and doesn't, is it because Snow has multiple years left on his deal and it's cheaper to keep him or if ownership is really on board with Snow's vision.

The beat goes on.:madfire:

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Well I guess this answers that question. If he can get a full season of play, Like he got in the second half, I'm ok with it. We shall see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad