Confirmed with Link: Isles Officially Name Doug Weight as Head Coach

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
I don't have a problem with Weight staying around. He's the 5th highest American in points and also has a SC under his belt. He brings more professional experience to the table than most modern coaches.

He's more than proved that he deserves a shot.

We should get real PP/PK staff though.

Also, if Snow hasn't been confirmed yet, doesn't that mean trouble?

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I don't have a problem with Weight staying around. He's the 5th highest American in points and also has a SC under his belt. He brings more professional experience to the table than most modern coaches.

He's more than proved that he deserves a shot.

We should get real PP/PK staff though.

Also, if Snow hasn't been confirmed yet, doesn't that mean trouble?

Yeah. I don't want to get carried away with a "he was a great player so he'll be a good coach" take, but part of the problem with the Capuano hire was that he was a total nobody when they anointed him head coach without much of any due diligence. Doug Weight is someone with real stature in the game. I'm not saying he had to be the guy, but he's much more of a known thing.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Yeah. I don't want to get carried away with a "he was a great player so he'll be a good coach" take, but part of the problem with the Capuano hire was that he was a total nobody when they anointed him head coach without much of any due diligence. Doug Weight is someone with real stature in the game. I'm not saying he had to be the guy, but he's much more of a known thing.

Trottier was a more awesome player but he was a terrible head coach.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Islanders have to be the dumbest franchise in professional sports. New owners are just as bad. Weight was ok but honestly they needed drastic change. I can guarantee this will not be a playoff team next year and you can thank Garth for terrible contracts and owners who are pu$$ies. Fans deserve better. Sell the team to someone who actually cares

Isles were last place in the east the day Capuano was fired. Since Weight took over, they have the 2nd best record in the NHL. Is that not drastic change?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
They were 6-0-0 in their last 6 when they needed to be 6-0-0 to even have a shot. Nitpick all you want. 52 points in 40 games and dead last to 1 point out of a spot.

A season is 82 games long though, and they failed to make the playoffs.
One of the big reasons they failed to make the playoffs is because the powerplay sucked arse.
Doug Weight was the powerplay coach.
Stating he jumped in and almost saved the season seems to be ignoring his hand in getting them to the point that it had to be saved in the first place.

And he has zero prior experience as a head coach of anything in the NHL, Jrs., college, Midgets, peewees.... no experience. Why are we doing this to ourselves again?

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
They were 11-7-2 in their last 20 games.

That's 1.2 points per game. 98.4 points per season pace. That's also a bad stretch that you cherrypicked. They played at a better pace during his entire time as a coach.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'm good with this, sounds like assistant coaches are going to be made available too. I heard Davis Payne was let go by the Kings, scoop him up. I like Cronin's overall performance here. Wasn't Oates a good PP coach but terrible head coach? Wouldn't hate him in a PP role.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
A season is 82 games long though, and they failed to make the playoffs.
One of the big reasons they failed to make the playoffs is because the powerplay sucked arse.
Doug Weight was the powerplay coach.
Stating he jumped in and almost saved the season seems to be ignoring his hand in getting them to the point that it had to be saved in the first place.

And he has zero prior experience as a head coach of anything in the NHL, Jrs., college, Midgets, peewees.... no experience. Why are we doing this to ourselves again?

You are ignoring the other aspects of the first 42 games that cost the team games. Sure if they went 40 for 40 on the PP, they would have been world beaters, but that's not how it went. The team was in position to win or get points in at least 4 or 5 games where they coughed up a lead/tie in the final few minutes of regulation. That was a coaching issue that plagued the team for the past 7 years. We didn't see that much once Weight took over. Why? The team didn't sit back once they got up. They played a faster game too.

The PP is certainly an issue. I am not denying that. Pulock NEEDS to be on the PP in the NHL. They need to stop that stupid drop pass for an entry. This is a huge systemic issue that needs to change. But Im not sure what else you expected Weight to do. I suppose the best record in the NHL would have been better and got them in the playoffs.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

He has 40 games of NHL coaching experience, with the second best record in the NHL.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I'm fine with Weight as coach...

I just wish they give him better assistants...

I feel the same way. Would like a heavy X/O's defensive guy. Also another for the PP. But I think that is mostly a player issue.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I like DW as coach, and I would be okay with it if Dean Lombardi is okay with it. But in reality, they should just simultaneously announce Snow is still GM. Just disgraceful. We have an opportunity to get a guy like Lombardi and instead we keep Garth Snow. Somebody should make him a t-shirt:
4th longest tenured GM.
1 playoff series win.

Just embarrassing. Status quo again with this franchise. You would think we were the Penguins or Blackhawks.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
I can't imagine that Snow will be fired now. You don't hire a new GM and force and existing coach down his throat.

...if Snow is the GM next year, that'a a deal breaker for me...

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I like Dougie, but a couple concerns -

The absolute no show and blowouts that occurred on his watch.

The PP that was just beyond pathetic.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Good move, I wish he still didn't keep the AGM role personally. I can't wait until we replace/hire someone above Snow.

Glad to see he is swapping out at least one of his assistants.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Why do the Isles have to announce their current GM is staying on? That's a weird announcement...

That is weird.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad