News Article: Isles Moving AGAIN Speculation????

Status
Not open for further replies.

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
So, uh - Bloomberg has this (worthy of own thread?):

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-considering-a-move-to-queens-with-mets-help

The New York Islanders are in talks with the owners of baseball’s New York Mets about building a hockey arena adjacent to Citi Field in Queens, people with knowledge of the discussions said.
Willets Point is emerging as a persuasive alternative to the team’s current home at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center if the Islanders’s owners and arena officials can’t agree on a series of hockey-specific improvements, said the people, who asked for anonymity because the negotiations are private.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Isles To Queens With Mets Help?

the new york islanders are in talks with the owners of baseball’s new york mets about building a hockey arena adjacent to citi field in queens, people with knowledge of the discussions said.

Willets point is emerging as a persuasive alternative to the team’s current home at brooklyn’s barclays center if the islanders’s owners and arena officials can’t agree on a series of hockey-specific improvements, said the people, who asked for anonymity because the negotiations are private.

The team’s first season at barclays center, which is owned by russian billionaire mikhail prokhorov, was marred by poor reviews from fans, who complained about obstructed view seats, and from players, who who said the quality of the ice was sub-par. The team’s owners also realized they couldn’t make as much money as their league counterparts, most of which play in bigger arenas.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I just posted about this in another thread.

I mean...is this even plausible?

No idea. What we do know is that Ledecky is clearly not overjoyed with many of the features of the Barclay's Center, so who knows. You gotta think though that no NHL team has ever stayed in an arena this poorly designed for hockey for as long as the Isles lease is with Barclay's center, so there is definite intrigue now with this latest batch of news. The "Out Clause" comes back into play again so it seems....

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Don't we have to use the out clause within the 5 year period? This arena needs to go up relatively soon, no?

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
This is like the Wade Boggs story drinking 107 beers in one day story. I really, really want to believe that it is possible but I can't get too excited (at least not yet?).

Last edited:

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Although nothing more than speculation at this point, best news I have heard in a long time... Always thought Queens was best compromise if they moved from nassau to keep accessible to both old fan base and new prospective.. This would be great if it ever happens.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
This is like the Wade Boggs story drinking 107 beers in one day story. I really, really want to believe that it is possible but I can't get too excited (at least not yet?).

1200.jpg

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
Don't we have to use the out clause within the 5 year period? This arena needs to go up relatively soon, no?
I think they could put it up in 3+ years... How long did it take for them to build US Bank Stadium (the new Vikings stadium)? This would be considerably smaller and you'd think that would translate to a quicker build, right?

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
this would be ideal....more of a LI feel and closer to the fanbase while stilll being in the city...

would have to think this would be a redesign/construction of arthur ashe with a retractable roof for hockey?

having said that, im not getting my hopes up

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
I just don't see how the NYC area could support another arena. Isn't the Barclays center bleeding money now? Between MSG, Barclays, New Nassau Coliseum, potential queens arena, and other smaller venues, it's just too many dates to fill with quality acts and be profitable. So I remain very skeptical.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
very interesting read. I like the willets point location being that it's easy to drive to, LIRR stops, and quick ride to grand central on the 7 Line. I also can't see Ledecky keeping the team there for 25 years with as bad as the building is for hockey. I'm assuming Ledecky will try hard to get barclays to re-structure the building to accomodate hockey. When that inevitably fails, off to queens.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I would love this. Still have he allure of the city but also so close to Nassau.

That being said, if it involves the Wilpons coughing up any dough then you can forget it.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I think they could put it up in 3+ years... How long did it take for them to build US Bank Stadium (the new Vikings stadium)? This would be considerably smaller and you'd think that would translate to a quicker build, right?

According to Wikipedia, looks like they broke ground in April 2014. US Bank Stadium looks amazing btw.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I doubt this happens. Yes, they'll have an anchor tenant but 3 arenas is over saturation for the area. You got at least 6 15k concert venues in the tristate within a 40ish mile radius.

This to me is just them trying to leverage the situation. Besides, they got a flat fee deal, so they don't really really care about the season box like the article is implying they do.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Either way this goes its very exciting, its either major leverage for Brooklyn to make the changes to the seating we all want, and the LIRR to get their act together, or a nice new accommodation that is hockey specific in Queens.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Either way this goes its very exciting, its either major leverage for Brooklyn to make the changes to the seating we all want, and the LIRR to get their act together, or a nice new accommodation that is hockey specific in Queens.

yeah this is the right mindset. even if the dream of moving Mets-adjacent doesn't happen, wrangling more arena improvements would be a huge win for us.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

Willing to be that it's this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad