News Article: Isles Moving AGAIN Speculation????

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
According to Wikipedia, looks like they broke ground in April 2014. US Bank Stadium looks amazing btw.
Agreed... I don't have any ties to Minn, but seeing the Metrodome fall apart made me feel bad for their fans. Glad they finally get a real stadium to play in instead of playing in a college stadium... Much like I would like for us to get a new arena, instead of playing in a basketball arena.

I'm all for the new arena in Queens... My Barclays experience wasn't as bad as I expected, but also left me less than thrilled with the move. I recently went to law school, graduated, and got a job in Albany. Having the isles in Queens would cut the drive down for games down a lot.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The new owners appear committed to searching every possible avenue to make this a world class destination for players and fans alike.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
Why don't they just go back to the newly renovated Coliseum?

*steps away*
I think they've pretty much decided that the Coliseum is going to be renovated to be strictly a retail and concert/specialty event venue. Less seats, more shopping, etc. I just don't think hockey is on their radar anymore.

EDIT: Didn't see the underwriting lol

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Christmas in July!!!!!!

Don't be upset if you wind up getting coal in your stocking. Just saying...

Either way, I'm totally fine with it; the same way I would've been fine with it if Nassau worked out. Just keep them in the area. Ledecky said that he and Malkin "were committed to New York." Now that somewhat cryptic statement is starting to make more sense.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

Either way, I'm totally fine with it; the same way I would've been fine with it if Nassau worked out. Just keep them in the area. Ledecky said that he and Malkin "were committed to New York." Now that somewhat cryptic statement is starting to make more sense.

Would a Willets Point arena be closer to you?

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Short of blowing up West wall and extending the building 25 feet, I'm not sure what can be done to the Barclays Center to make it better for hockey. Starting with a state of the art locker room, it seems like the BC has pretty much tried to accommodate most wishes of the Islanders. Unfortunately, it just wasn't built with this usage in mind.

That being said, the Barclays Center is fine (enough) as it stands to house the Islanders for the future. It has its warts - some major, some trivial, but overall if the Islanders are good, it should be OK for its needs.

What its not, however, is convenient for a good chunk of the fanbase. Willets Point would be a helluva lot more convenient for practically everyone other than NJ-based Islander fans, and there aren't too many of those (Broadway Jay excluded).

If they can pull this off, great. I highly doubt its going to happen though. Having a 4th arena (along with BC, MSG and the Rock) in this immediate area makes no real sense. Unless of course Ledecky and Malkin are going to fund this themselves. Which is highly unlikely as well.

nyiguy21

Poster of the Decade
Aug 22, 2007
New York
There goes BD already throwing a wet blanket on this
I like the guy but can I trust his "source" over Bloomberg?

He also cites that Deblasio won't allow sports expansion. I always thought Deblasio wasn't in support of taxpayer funded arenas. If they were to fund a new arena privately, will Deblasio really have an issue?

gbislander

Sep 21, 2015
Willets Point/Citi Field has always been the perfect place for the team. I'm alright with Brooklyn knowing that it was the only place to go for the franchise after Nassau ran its course and thankfully the Isles were able to get a good deal from Barclays to play in the arena. So let's see how this plays out, because like someone said, is NYC really going to let another arena be built within its limits? I mean, maybe they'll allow it if it is completely built without tax payer funds (pipe dream) and this is why the Isles and Wilpons are going to do this together? It's interesting, will Brooklyn be looked at as being the bridge between Nassau and Queens when all is said and done?

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

GImme a good arena for hockey, a place to take a leak, and the Isles as the primary tenant, and Ill be happy.

nyiguy21

Poster of the Decade
Aug 22, 2007
New York
I am pulling this quote from the town hall thread.

Question: "Are you committed to Barclays Center?"

Ledecky: "We are committed to the NY area."

Perfect answer...And thick with meaning.

While he did say he wants to make Brooklyn home, he also didn't leave out other options.

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
Cn6GRfSUMAA_MpZ.jpg

per a few years back

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I like the guy but can I trust his "source" over Bloomberg?

He also cites that Deblasio won't allow sports expansion. I always thought Deblasio wasn't in support of taxpayer funded arenas. If they were to fund a new arena privately, will Deblasio really have an issue?

Well he's a piece of **** so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad