Proposal: 2nd Overall (CHI/ANA)

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Neutral fan (obviously) but it seems to me that Anaheim would really want to make sure Levshunov is their guy.

I wonder what it would take for Chicago to accept switching picks, especially if Chicago were leaning that way themselves.

Anaheim gets 2nd Overall
Chicago gets 3rd Overall and Edmonton's 1st

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
RHD is clearly the biggest need organizationally.

After trading RHD Drysdale for Cutter Gauthier, Tristan Luneau is the only RHD in the organization with clear top-4 upside. They're solid on LHD with Mintyukov and Zellweger and the young forward core is pretty solid as well.

Ledge And Dairy

Neutral fan (obviously) but it seems to me that Anaheim would really want to make sure Levshunov is their guy.

I wonder what it would take for Chicago to accept switching picks, especially if Chicago were leaning that way themselves.

Anaheim gets 2nd Overall
Chicago gets 3rd Overall and Edmonton's 1st
I think Anaheim is pretty set on offensive defensemen for the foreseeable future. They will probably take Levshunov if he is available at 3 but I doubt they are that desperate to get him. If they really want another RD prospect then I would bet Ceulemans or Boqvist could be had from Columbus

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Honestly, nothing. I don't think it's worth paying much if anything in this case with such a wide open field. At most a 3rd rounder if they're really set on a player, but Chicago likely just ignores them anyways unless it's a big overpayment.
I already outlined why they might be really set on a player. If you disagree with that, fine.

Would Chicago ignore them though? If Chicago is likely still getting the player they want at #3, then whatever Anaheim gives them to move up is free money.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I already outlined why they might be really set on a player. If you disagree with that, fine.

Would Chicago ignore them though? If Chicago is likely still getting the player they want at #3, then whatever Anaheim gives them to move up is free money.
Chicago would ignore them in my trade idea, not yours. In yours, Anaheim would be crazy to make an offer when there's a very good chance they get the same player without giving up a 1st for what amounts to nothing at all. Basically it'll make sense for one and not the other.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Chicago would ignore them in my trade idea, not yours. In yours, Anaheim would be crazy to make an offer when there's a very good chance they get the same player without giving up a 1st for what amounts to nothing at all. Basically it'll make sense for one and not the other.
Yes, there is a chance they get Levshunov without having to give up anything. But the odds of getting the player they want are exponentially better if they trade up.

Am I really having to explain on a hockey forum why teams trade up in the draft?

It didn't happen in the 1st round last year so maybe you're right and that's the trend but this scenario is not unheard of.

Anyway, if you think I'm an idiot and the whole premise of this thread is dumb, you're free to move on.

I hate this trade forum. I don't know why anyone even bothers. Mods, lock this thread and delete it. I don't give a f*** anymore.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yes, there is a chance they get Levshunov without having to give up anything. But the odds of getting the player they want are exponentially better if they trade up.

Am I really having to explain on a hockey forum why teams trade up in the draft?

It didn't happen in the 1st round last year so maybe you're right and that's the trend but this scenario is not unheard of.

Anyway, if you think I'm an idiot and the whole premise of this thread is dumb, you're free to move on.

I hate this trade forum. I don't know why anyone even bothers. Mods, lock this thread and delete it. I don't give a f*** anymore.
You can explain all you like, but I understand what you're saying already and I'm saying it's not a good idea.

Take a chill pill dude. I wasn't attacking you.

Reactions: wetcoast

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Last year, most everyone assumed that the Ducks would take Fantilli at 2OA. But they ended up taking Carlsson who they believed would be the better player over the long term. This year the obvious choice would be Levshunov but I think the Ducks could very well surprise people with a pick that they believe will be better over the long term.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Personally I would do this and just take whoever is left between Levshunov and Dadinov. Don’t see why Anaheim wouldn’t have the same thinking at 3
There’s prob a solid chance Anaheim is looking at someone other than levshhhov/Demidov.

Anaheim scouts are extremely hard to predict, and don’t generally go with the consensus pick

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
There’s prob a solid chance Anaheim is looking at someone other than levshhhov/Demidov.

Anaheim scouts are extremely hard to predict, and don’t generally go with the consensus pick
Good point. As an Anaheim fan what’s your read on the draft?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Good point. As an Anaheim fan what’s your read on the draft?
The obvious answer is whoever is left over from levshunov/Demidov

But I wouldn’t be shocked if our scouts like
Saliyev
Yakemchuk
Helenius
buium

I just hope If it is 1 of those guys , we trade down a bit

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Just looking st it from a chicsgo perspective....what do they need?

If they need a certain kind of p ln user that isnt in top 50 they might trade down a few spots for that U24 player

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Doubt it would happen and this doesn't really make much sense

Now lets say Ducks are set on getting someone and want #2 to do it

I think this would make more sense

To Ducks
#2 + #34

To Hawks
#3 + Oilers 1st (Currently #24 spot)

With swaps it would be Hawks moving down one spot early in 1st and moving up back into 1st from 2nd round with 2nd swap

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
How about Chicago trades their (2) 1st rounders (#2 & #20) and their a 2nd rounder (#54) to Anaheim for #3 and Zegras ?
The Ducks already have seven picks in the first three rounds. Adding two more and giving up Z is a nonstarter when they're looking to come out of the rebuild & not delay it 2-3 more years (at least). If anything, I could see PV trading away some of those picks if it returns a NHL ready player that fills one of their two holes (RW & RHD).

Plus you'd have to add a bunch to get Z, a mid/late first & 2nd round pick won't do it (& yes I saw that the teams swapped 2 & 3, still not moving the needle).

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Doubt it would happen and this doesn't really make much sense

Now lets say Ducks are set on getting someone and want #2 to do it

I think this would make more sense

To Ducks
#2 + #34

To Hawks
#3 + Oilers 1st (Currently #24 spot)

With swaps it would be Hawks moving down one spot early in 1st and moving up back into 1st from 2nd round with 2nd swap
This deal makes more sense. I could see Chicago pushing to send 54 (LA's 2nd) instead of 34, but 3+24 for 2 is too rich for mere 'preferance' of similar prospects

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
This deal makes more sense. I could see Chicago pushing to send 54 (LA's 2nd) instead of 34, but 3+24 for 2 is too rich for mere 'preferance' of similar prospects
It makes more sense than the one that I responded to earlier, but dropping 10 spots in the late 1st to early 2nd just to move from #3 to #2 ... nah. Maybe if the Ducks had #4 or #5 (instead of #3) as in this draft after MC, #2-5 or 6 seem to be the same tier. Then it might be worth dropping later to move up & make sure that they got the player that they really want. But with the way things stand right now, I can't see where the Ducks would want to give up much to move up one spot, nor could I see Chicago accepting that little bit to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad