News Article: Isles Moving AGAIN Speculation????

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Sweet mother of Pete, does this nonsense ever end?
The battle between watching the game from your seat or on your I-Phone continues.:handclap:

It's the joke that keeps getting told IMHO. I have complete faith things will improve when this is all over. We're staying in NYand likely to be better off with UFA's and the whole "watching the game from your seats without a mirror" part.

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
As someone who lives in Queens I'd love this if it were true. That said Id bet it is all about getting leverage to make Barclays do proper renovations for hockey.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
As someone who lives in Queens I'd love this if it were true. That said Id bet it is all about getting leverage to make Barclays do proper renovations for hockey.

Not sure how it makes any economic sense for Barclays to do it. They'd probably tell the Isles to leave at that point.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Do you think you would do major renovations to your home if your in-laws were complaining?

Youd tell them to deal with it, or GTFO.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
This would be awesome considering my parent's house is along the Port Washington line. Be a lot more spontaneous around Christmastime buying some stubhub tickets the day of knowing I can be at the arena in 30 minutes tops.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I would love this. Still have he allure of the city but also so close to Nassau.

That being said, if it involves the Wilpons coughing up any dough then you can forget it.

This is the most important line in the entire conversation. The Wilpons are leveraged to the hilt and so far in debt for Citifield and SNY that it would have to be a plum deal for them to participate.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y

I think this is on point.

a new arena In queens would have to compete with Barclays and MSG for concerts and stuff, how could it survive on just the islanders? rodeo? arena football? lacrosse???:laugh:

plus NYCFC's stadium in 3 years overdue and they don't even have a location picked out yet, willets point has been mentioned but nothing gets done quickly in NYC.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
I've believed Queens is the best place for the Islanders for a long time, since it is a gate way to regional Long Island and to the rest of New York City. But I am not sure if NYC is willing to fork 500M for a hockey specific rink plus a parking garage to accommodate Isles and Mets. NYC rejected it in 2012, so what's different in 2016?

Also how are they going to mitigate public transportation problems in and around Citi Field? I understand it's only subway line 7 and LIRR Port Washington that serve the Citi Field area.

Last edited:

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
This is pretty interesting. As stated above; at the absolute least it puts pressure on the Barclay's people to make changes to accommodate the Islanders (and hockey in general).

I can see the new arena in Queens being paid for by the Mets/Islanders in full while the rest of the redevelopment of the area (i.e. shops, bars etc.) can be taxpayer subsidized because of the sheer number of jobs that will be created from the construction and new businesses (which, I'm sure will kick money back to the Islanders and the Mets).

If this goes through, don't be surprised if the MSG cable deal goes away and the Isles will be aired on SNY. One hand washes the other..

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Have to think this would have to be decided soon. Your franchise player is an UFA in TWO years. If you can get this done and give JT his contract then the Isles are just about perfect in my eyes. I dislike Brooklyn and don't see it working long term.

Too much smoke now with this to think it won't grow legs. GTFO with this Brooklyn crap. Isles are blue orange and white and share the same fanbase with the mets.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
Nooooooooooooooooooo

:lol: psych! I honestly don't see this happening and being a financial improvement for the Isles long-term. There's too much money in Bk, and Flushing is still a long way off from becoming a tourist and corporate attraction. I'm not convinced this would be a much better option than... a renovated Coliseum.

The Isles are guaranteed a revenue of $50 mil/year, I believe. Can this area of Queens match $1 mil/game?

Edit: unless the players really, and I mean really really hate Brooklyn, but Flushing isn't exactly around the corner either.

Last edited:

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Nooooooooooooooooooo

:lol: psych! I honestly don't see this happening and being a financial improvement for the Isles long-term. There's too much money in Bk, and Flushing is still a long way off from becoming a tourist and corporate attraction. I'm not convinced this would be a much better option than... a renovated Coliseum.

The Isles are guaranteed a revenue of $50 mil/year, I believe. Can this area of Queens match $1 mil/game?

Don't forget that this would give ownership control of the business decisions again. It might be worth it to take a hit on revenue in order to have full control of all operations.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Have to think this would have to be decided soon. Your franchise player is an UFA in TWO years. If you can get this done and give JT his contract then the Isles are just about perfect in my eyes. I dislike Brooklyn and don't see it working long term.

Too much smoke now with this to think it won't grow legs. GTFO with this Brooklyn crap. Isles are blue orange and white and share the same fanbase with the mets.

This has nothing to do with the next Tavares contract and likely won't amount to anything when you factor everything into the equation. It's more than likely a move to get Barclays to make some big changes to help alleviate the challenges of hockey in that arena. And if it only accomplishes that, then it will be worth it.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Edit: unless the players really, and I mean really really hate Brooklyn, but Flushing isn't exactly around the corner either.

Even if this were true, it would only be the current crop of players and only because they have Long Island to compare it to. Eventually the roster will turn over, and you'll have players on the team who never got to experience what it was like to have everything based on LI.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Don't forget that this would give ownership control of the business decisions again. It might be worth it to take a hit on revenue in order to have full control of all operations.

Let's not forget that with Barclay's handling business, there's a lot of overhead the Isles aren't paying.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
This has nothing to do with the next Tavares contract and likely won't amount to anything when you factor everything into the equation. It's more than likely a move to get Barclays to make some big changes to help alleviate the challenges of hockey in that arena. And if it only accomplishes that, then it will be worth it.

Actually, i think this is very real and is the preferred option over Barclays improvements. Isles would play on SNY and make the same, if not more, in this situation.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Isles on SNY? Trade Howie for Gary Cohen! Jk, but Gary is one of the best PBP guys and the Mets trio of Gary, Ron and Keith is as knowledgeable as they are hysterical.

Also, the timing of this "leaked" news can't be a coincidence. Hockey summer doldrums? nope, get people talking about the Isles again.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
this would be ideal....more of a LI feel and closer to the fanbase while stilll being in the city...

would have to think this would be a redesign/construction of arthur ashe with a retractable roof for hockey?

having said that, im not getting my hopes up

Almost impossible it has anything to do with the Tennis Center.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
I'd love for this to be true, but from what I understand the biggest hurdle is getting rid of all the slumlords and squatters in the Iron Triangle. They have a ton of junkyards and shady repair shops over there and it could take years to force enough people out to accommodate another sports venue, if they can manage to do it at all.

Then again, they could probably just build the arena using some of the Citi Field lot and replace the lost parking with garages, but it would sure be nicer to have at least some of the Iron Triangle cleaned up.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I've believed Queens is the best place for the Islanders for a long time, since it is a gate way to regional Long Island and to the rest of New York City. But I am not sure if NYC is willing to fork 500M for a hockey specific rink plus a parking garage to accommodate Isles and Mets. NYC rejected it in 2012, so what's different in 2016?

Also how are they going to mitigate public transportation problems in and around Citi Field? I understand it's only subway line 7 and LIRR Port Washington that serve the Citi Field area.

If the area can handle the US Open and the Mets together, it can handle Mets + Hockey. All 3 will never overlap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad